Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 03-03-2007, 12:25 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 172/169/140

Height: 5'6"

Cool Veggie-licious!

It seems like it goes together -- whole foods and veggies. AND, it seems like a lot of us are learning about how delicious veggies can be. I grew up on the typical 50's housewife's "two greens and a yellow" -- usually from a can. So I thought I didn't like vegetables!

So, to get the ball rolling, here's one of my newest finds: Roasted green beans! I read about it in Cook's Illustrated. You just take fresh green beans, toss them with olive oil, then roast them at a high temperature -- 450. About 20 minutes in, toss them, then roast another 15 - 20 minutes. Those brown spots are good, you want them. (Just not black, LOL.)

Sprinkle with kosher salt. We all eat them like french fries. I have a friend who ate the whole pan by himself! For a slightly Asian taste, toss with a bit of sesame oil, rather than olive. And it doesn't take much oil at all.

YUM.
CalypsoZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 04:58 AM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

This is pretty much my favorite recipe for nearly all fresh veggies, from potatoes to eggplant (of course cooking times vary). But I put the veggies in a ziploc bag add a very small amount of oil and shake the bag like mad to distribute the oil evenly. Then I add any seasonings I want (ranch dressing mix is good, fajita or cajun seasoning is also yummy. I've even used powdered chicken broth).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 05:00 AM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Oh, and reclose the bag and shake again to coat the veggies with the seasonings. Pour into a roasting pan or onto a cookie sheet and roast until carmelized and tender
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 05:57 AM   #4  
fat chick FKA Velveteen

Height: 5'5½

yum! this sounds great!

I love also red/green/yellow bell peppers roasted with whole cloves of garlic. I usually throw them in with couscous when they are done

I totally knew nothing about veggies until I left home. In fact I was totally surprised to learn that green beans were actually fresh and didn't come from a can! LOL
PinkyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 02:40 PM   #5  

Have you guys tried roasted beets? BIG yum! I absolutely hated beets when I was a kid, but in recent years have discovered that I now really like them - lately, I love 'em!! They're great roasted....you just wrap them in foil and roast until tender. You can them remove the skin really easily - after I take the skin off, I cut them into chunks and return to the oven to roast a little longer without the foil. They get a little caramelized at the edges...delicious! Sprinkled with a little sea salt, I could eat a plateful of them.

(Er - just don't panic if things in the bathroom are a little....unusual..for a day or two afterwards! ) LOL!!!
sugarlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 03:38 PM   #6  
Working My Way Back Down

Susie. I've gotten startled when I've forgotten I had some beets! I love beets any way you cook them.

Roasted brussel sprouts are wonderful! I cut them in half lengthwise, then toss in oil and seasoning (garlic is good) and roast. They get sweet, and lose that bitter taste they can have when boiled. It's my favorite way to eat them.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 04:58 PM   #7  

You guys inspired me, tonight we're having roasted cauliflower and sweet potatoes. I usually roast peppers, onions and zucchini, I never thought about cauliflower.
joyofsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 02:50 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 140/120/118

Height: 5'3

I tried the roasted cauliflower yesterday for lunch and I LOVED it. I think I have only had cauliflower about 2 times my whole life and I hated it. Roasting it brings out a wonderful flavor and a better texture than that nasty, mooshy boiled or steamed does!

azmom
azmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 07:09 PM   #9  
Working My Way Back Down

I roasted butternut squash last night. Peeled it, cut into small pieces, tossed in oil and roasted at 450 for about 30 minutes. It was YUMMY!
Old 03-08-2007, 08:58 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 140/120/118

Height: 5'3

When I roast butternut squash I don't even peel it. I just lay it cut side down after I spray the pan with cooking spray. It comes right out of the skin so easy when it is done...probably my favorite veggie!
azmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 09:04 PM   #11  
Working My Way Back Down

I'll try that next time. I was in a hurry last night, and wanted small pieces. In retrospect though, it took me so much extra time to peel it, it could have been roasting longer.
Old 03-08-2007, 09:33 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 289/288/170

WaterRat, Thanks for the tip about the roasted Brussels sprouts. I tried it and mine were not sweet but they had an interesting flavor nd texture.
MsOnemoretime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 07:04 AM   #13  

I, too, am an enthusiastic roaster of all veggies, but here's another idea that is especially good for brussel sprouts and cabbage: sauteeing or stir frying. Slice the sprouts or the cabbage (which basicially makes slaw of the latter). Heat some olive oil and toss the veggies in, stir frying until they're crunchy-tender. Salt and pepper to taste. This is especially good if you saute some garlic first. It's also good with caraway seeds, if you like them. You can toss in a little lemon juice or vinegar at the end, if that appeals to you. Almost anything you do is great. They turn out crunchy and very very tasty. And boy, is it fast. Especially good with pork or lamb.
Airegrrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 01:44 PM   #14  
Working My Way Back Down

I love them that way too Robin, esp the cabbage. And if you're eating potatoes, mixing in some leftover mashed spuds makes a lovely carb/veggie side dish. I've been known to make mashed potatoes just to make this. It actually has a name, Irish I think - wait, the beauty of search engines

Colcannon (Irish: cál ceannan, white head) is a traditional Irish and West Scots food made from mashed potatoes, kale, butter, salt, and pepper. It can contain other ingredients such as milk, cream, leeks, onions, chives or garlic. At one time it was a cheap, year-round staple food.

It is similar to the modern version of the English dish, Bubble and squeak. It is also similar to the Hungarian dish haluski, but with the addition of mashed potatoes