Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2001, 09:30 AM   #1  
Running Babe

Default Happy Happy Tuesday

Good Morning All,

I hope everyone is having a good day. I am glad that I don't have to work this Friday so I can actually go on a date with my boyfriend hehe! I see him, but there just hasn't been much oppourtunity to have a quiet dinner with him. I miss that. I meet his family on Sunday! That will be fun.

School's going well, I am figuring out my christmas presents today. That's the one thing I am not stressed out about is my xmas shopping, I work in a mall I have started already though, which is very rare for me. Luckily I work in a store that sells mens clothes so I have a lot of the guys presents covered. Still have no idea what to get the boyfriend....any suggestions?? Man, I am pathetic, gushing about my guy, sorry, I am just happily twitterpaited.

Take Care!

Ali
Old 10-30-2001, 09:51 AM   #2  
St. Bernard Owner

Hi. I have been lurking on your threads from time to time and I figured that it was time to quit lurking and actually post something! Anyway, my name is Shauna and I'm 23 years old, newly married, and fresh out of college (May 2001). I am a software engineer so I sit on my butt most of the day. I am really trying to lose some weight, not with weight watchers, but by cutting back on portion sizes, drinking plenty of water, and exercising moderately 4-5 times a week. There's a group of people here at work that I'm friends with and we're all trying to watch out for one another and to motivate each other as well. It's working for me, and I'm usually the one doing the motivating, but for others they just aren't interested in really trying to cut back on sweets (mostly halloween candy) and exercise. I walk for 20 minutes during my lunch break with at least one other girl, but yesterday no one could walk, except for me, so I walked by myself. I was very proud of myself for walking alone because I had really thought hard about sitting at my desk and reading a book (Harry Potter #4) but talked myself out of it.

Anyway, I look forward to reading other posts here. Have a great day!

Shauna
Old 10-30-2001, 09:56 AM   #3  
Diet Dr Pepper Rules!

Hello all.

Ali: you really are out ahead of the pack on that Christmas shopping. I have not even started. I never knew what to get a BF. Watch, sweater, Playstation 2 (if it is true love and you have a ton of money). Come to think of it, I never know what to get my hubby. He always says he does not want anything. This year he does want a PS2, but we have a new baby coming and i don't have that much money for a boy-toy.

Jen: just a note to you that my e-mail is down again today for a while. More issues. AHH.

Hello to all about to post. I am off to the recepie thread to get some good ideas for dinner tonight.

Trish
Old 10-30-2001, 09:57 AM   #4  
Diet Dr Pepper Rules!

Shauna: we posted at the same time. Welcome to the group. It can be hard to get others motivatied. Don't let that stop you. I am sure your good example will get them going! Great job!

Trish
Old 10-30-2001, 09:58 AM   #5  
Fed Up With Fat!!

Default At least it's not Monday!!

My boss is out for awhile so I thought I'd better jump in and post.
Janet: You are in my prayers!!
Welcome Shauna and Nascar Fan! Sorry nascar, I couldn't remember your name without losing my post!
Ali: Is your guy into tools? You can't go wrong with something from Sears! At least it's that way in my family.
Well ladies, I'm going to WI tonight for the first time in several weeks. I won't let the lady right down the plus number since I see it as starting again. So, no matter how big the number, I'm ready to face the truth and get back on the wagon! I'm tired of my clothes not fitting right. I brought my shoes to walk at lunch and I hope to start that habit again.
I want to lose 10 pounds by Thanksgiving and another 10 by Christmas. At least that way I'll be into virgin fat again. I just caught a sorry glimpse of it before the wedding. The big let down is all of my honeymoon pics are in, too! I really have let myself get carried away with bad eating habits. Most people can't see it, but I sure can!
Ok, enough of a ramble for me, I need to eat my midmorning snack and drink 32 oz of water!!
Have a great day everyone and I'll be back soon!!!
Old 10-30-2001, 09:59 AM   #6  
Fed Up With Fat!!

Default Hi Trish!

I didn't see your post! I'm thankful that my DH isn't into video games. Since he has such a love for tools, I get a lot of things fixed for free!
Old 10-30-2001, 10:20 AM   #7  
Eve's Mom

Default JUST SAY NO TO PS2

I have not got my b/f back yet, its been almost a year!! It's scary really that he can get so engrossed, play for like 9 hours, end up with a gruelling headache and wonder why....

I admit, I like some of the games (abe's odessy is good) but most of them make me sick to my stomach. At $60 a pop per game its getting pricey too!! This guy....SIGH!!

Kim - cool about your costume!!

Stacey- good for you! I am "starting new" too but its b/c I lost my book oh well, I call it fate making a new beginning for me....

Ali - ooo, the parents! Where do they live?

Hi Shauna! Good for you for motivating the other people, I think you'll find it inspirational for yourself too! Welcome to the board!

Belle
Old 10-30-2001, 12:00 PM   #8  
Proud Canadian

Unhappy Sad day

Yesterday I was way too excited and last night I crashed back down to earth - I got my rejection letter from the Ambulance people last night - they said I didn't meet their requirements in the oral interview. I'll phone this week so they can clarify what their requirements were but I think life is leading me on another path. On the internet yesterday I was looking at nursing schools so I guess that's where I'm supposed to go. Still upsetting though. I hope today's a better day.
Hi to everyone.
KT
Old 10-30-2001, 12:29 PM   #9  
A Yankee in Virginia

KT: Sorry to hear about the interview, but maybe you're right ... maybe this is life's way of trying to direct you where you're supposed to be. I know it's tough ... last year, I was trying to switch newspapers and got turned down by two places. I wonder if I'm meant, right now, to keep doing what I'm doing. I wish you the best.

Janet: I'm very sorry to hear about your miscarriage. My thoughts are with you.

Welcome Shauna! Glad you decided to come out from the lurkers. Your walking is fantastic! Sounds like you're on the right track. I, on the other hand, haven't been to the gym in months and can't seem to stop eating.

Stacey: I always used to get my ex tools, but this b/f, well, let's just say that I'm the one who changes the oil in the family. He is SO not mechanically inclined (and doesn't seem interested in learning). I used to love having a b/f who could work on my car (it really hasn't been washed well in the 6 years since we broke up, either!), but Brian and I have much more in common, love of writing, of books, etc. But he is hard to shop for. Plus, his birthday is Christmas day! He does love golf, so last year I got him a gift certificate to a really nice golf course. Another year I got him hard-to-get tickets for a UNC basketball game. It helps to have friends who are sports writers!

Geez, this year, I don't know what I'll do.

Ali: Kudos to you for starting Christmas shopping so early! I'm amazed. I never start until after Thanksgiving, mostly on general principle! And I adore the Internet for shopping. Last year I only went into the mall once, for one specific thing. The mall during the holidays scares me!

Well, today I got accused of ruining someone's life for writing about a court case. Of course, this was the defense attorney telling me this. I told her as nicely as I could that I wasn't the one who had committed the crime. The crime? Having an affair with a 15-year-old girl he coached. It started while he was married and continued after he had a baby! The wife finally booted him out.

Ah, well.

Almost time for lunch with my grumpy b/f. I swear, I think guys really do get some kind of PMS. Cuz he's sure acting that way today.
Old 10-30-2001, 12:31 PM   #10  
Mom to 2 beautiful girls!

KT.. don't let your rejection letter bother you too much. When I was interviewing for jobs I used to get all bent out of shape. But now that I am the interviewer, it is different. In many jobs, there is so much competition that the companies have to literally try to find something bad just to narrow it down. So you may not have been low on the oral part, it just may have been a lot of competition. I hate doing interviews and then choosing, really it is difficult. Chalk it up as experience!! And hey, I have always wanted to be a nurse, plus they are in high demand now!

Emma had her 1 year appointment today and she is very healthy! YAH!!! She got 4 shots and blood taken. Poor girl, she was a bit crabby after that!

Back to work since I missed so much this morning.
Old 10-30-2001, 12:31 PM   #11  
A Yankee in Virginia

Yikes! I wrote a book. Sorry!
Old 10-30-2001, 12:41 PM   #12  
Running Babe

Trish: Actually I am dating a freak of nature.... a Computer engineer who doesn't drink and hates playing video games !! So even if I could afford the PS/2 it would pretty much be a wasted gift. I would love to get him a nice cosy and warm sweater, but he's hot all the time, so he most likely wouldn't wear it. I am thinking maybe a pair of leather gloves and a nice leather belt (I can buy the belt with my work discount and I'll look around at gloves. Maybe a nice touque as well and a coupon booklet from me The watch will be for his birthday.

Belle: His parents live about halfway between Ottawa and my parents' house. We actually grew up less than an hour away from each other, he on the Ontario side of the border, me on the Quebec. The funny thing is, is that I'm an anglophone and he's a francophone.

Stacey: I'd say he'd be more into tools once he buys his house (though he has a ton of engineering tools already). I've told him that I am saving up my Canadian Tire money (it's a Canadian thing) to buy him a lawnmower once he's a homeowner. Though yeah, my BF is also into fixing things up as well, which is good. I can't wait until I am working my career, then I am planning to get into crafts and decorating!

KT: Sorry to hear about the Ambulance thing. Though nurses are always in demand, it is an amazing profession to go into and I have such a high respect for anyone who pursues it. Good Luck with whatever you choose to pursue.

Shauna: Welcome! I am just a recent Uni grad as well (though I am back at school). Harry Potter rules... I've read all the books and am looking forward to seeing the movie!

So on the bus back from school I did my christmas list of what to buy people. I am glad I am spreading out buying the gifts. Even though I'll be working oodles through the holidays, I'll only get the pay for it in January. Luckily I think I have no bdays coming up until after Christmas, so I should be okay with all the present buying!

Take Care!

Ali

Last edited by Sweater Girl; 10-30-2001 at 12:44 PM.
Old 10-30-2001, 12:52 PM   #13  
Running Babe

Kim: A that is actually kind of improper conduct of the defence attorney, besides if the guy committed statutory rape against a young girl of 15, then well there's a chance he may try and do that to someone else. Unless there was a publication ban, then the attorney had no reason to do that. I work in a mall, so I guess I'll have to put up with the crowds. But alas, it means I can do my shopping on my breaks!

Jen: Happy belated bday to Emma, I am glad that her appointment went well! That's so wonderful. Yeah even I get crabby after getting shots, so it's understandable for a 1 year old! I hope she calms down.

I am procrastinating on studying...

Take care!

ali
Old 10-30-2001, 12:55 PM   #14  
Bono Fanatic!

Hello! Just wanted to say hi and to let you guys know that I got my LSAT score back yesterday. I did really well, and now the fun of filling out the applications begins! I am actually quite excited to be on my way now.

Let me catch up on what everyone else has to say and I will be back!

Jen

Last edited by JKarr; 10-30-2001 at 01:05 PM.
Old 10-30-2001, 02:05 PM   #15  
Proud Canadian

Thanks for the support gang. This is the best group. I'm actually starting to get very excited about going back to school!

Jen - Congrats on the LSAT - YAY
Ali - meeting the parents - good luck
Jen1 - (I think, I get the #'s mixed up) Hope Emma is over the crabbies
Kim - I've got to start reading your articles, they sound so interesting (I'll go back to the last one you put in a post)
Belle - Chirstmas is easy with my BF - Underwear and socks!!! Just kidding, but with not much $$ we tend to get things that are needed rather than fun stuff (and he just likes to be together
Stacey - remember whatever you do, the longer and more steadily the weight comes off, the longer it will stay off. of course I don;t know when your american thanskgiving is (ours was in at the beginning of October)
Shauna - WELCOME
Trish - hope you found a good dinner Idea
HI to everyone else lurking -
KT
Closed Thread