South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 04:32 PM   #1  
Working for the Cruise!

Angry The Horrors of the Scale

Stepped on the scale today for the first time since before Xmas. Granted, it was after working out at Curves and after breakfast. I'll try for a better reading tomorrow.....however, it showed that I have gained 20 pounds! My mind is telling me that I have been working out constantly, and I'm gaining tons of strength and muscle. I know that. My clothes fit better. I know that. My body is changing to adjust to my new lifestyle........but it doesn't make the number any easier to look at.

Just a vent for those of you having a hard time with your "number". I'm with you girls!
Old 03-01-2007, 05:37 PM   #2  
Stinger

S/C/G: 0/0/0

Height: 5'5

If the scale were my lover I would leave him!
Old 03-01-2007, 05:49 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

I want to beat my scale with my runners.. heh.. my scale was UP 3 pounds this morning, and the only real thing I've changed is adding exercise! I do get that I'm retaining water like CRAZY, I have had 4 huge glasses of water today and not peed ANY of it out.. so weird..

Take measurements, those will be your lifesaver! Also, were you using the same scale? That can make a difference, a huge difference!

Keep your head up, you CAN do it, just keep plugging away!

-Aimee
Old 03-01-2007, 06:08 PM   #4  
In Search of Collarbones

S/C/G: 171/154/125

Height: 5'3"

yuck!

I am right there with you. I stick to my points religiously until i throw a wedding shower last week. I gained four pounds! Did I really eat THAT many cookies?!?

Yes, plug plug plug away! You are doing good things for yourself, and the scale isn't the only thing that matters!
Old 03-02-2007, 02:53 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 205/173/145

Height: 5'8"

Hang in there, my first 10 pounds came off so SLOW. Then out of the blue, in like no time, I had lost another 20.

Great job working out!! If the scale isn't your thing, let your clothes be your "scale".
Old 03-02-2007, 01:00 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

Oh, and another thing I've discovered is that muscles hold water, I don't understand it, but its definitely true!

-Aimee
Old 03-02-2007, 01:55 PM   #7  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Hey, Sarah! I know you're not alone in wanting to beat the scale. It's such a totally bogus number most of the time...especially after you've moved, eaten (breathed??? ), etc.

You know your clothes are fitting better. Don't stress about those scale numbers...measurements are better...as are clothes fitting, but overall health and ability to do things may be just as good, too! How many flights of stairs can you climb before getting winded? Do you feel light and able to move comfortably? Is your skin bright and healthy-looking? Are you feeling healthy? There's lots of ways to judge our progress, but as you all have been saying so well in this thread, the scale does NOT always give us information that is realistic or even true.

One thing someone told me that helped me make sense of things was that your fat cells (which never leave!) hate being empty. Once you take the fat out of them, they want to be full, so they fill up with water. But in a while, they can't hold on to that and they let it go. So you can lose the fat in actuality, but end up seeming the same...then suddenly drop several pounds (in water!). Pay attention...some days I cannot stay out of the bathroom and I usually know that means that tomorrow I'll love what the scale says.

BTW, if you don't like what the scale says, you can always hook 'the girls' over a towel rack like Jenn suggested a couple years ago. I find that takes off at least 10 pounds. Sorry...we needed some humor!
Old 03-02-2007, 10:30 PM   #8  
Working for the Cruise!

Thank you ladies for your support. Laurie, I nearly fell out of the chair at the towel rack comment! And thanks for the info on the water bit.....that's definitely a thought.

To be honest, I'm sure a lot of this is muscle. I know that my body is getting firmer. The restaurant requires me to run 4 flights of stairs with 30 lb trays, and it has been a lot easier lately as well. I'm fat, I know this. But I know I'm a lot healthier than I was 6 months ago too. Not gonna let the scale keep me down!

Thanks again ladies.
Old 03-03-2007, 12:13 AM   #9  

Height: 5' 7"

Laurie, loved your comments, made me laugh so hard.

I have to agree with the comments about holding on to water weight, there are some days where I hardly have to use the bathroom and the scale will show that and days where I know the next day the scale will be nice because I had to use the bathroom all the time.

You weigh more after doing weights, I have tried this in the past weighing before working out and afterworking out and have gained 3 lbs just doing that, your like this scale is so ******ed. So I have learned the hard way, try to only weigh once a week and if you think you are holding water (my fingers get swollen when I do) then I do not weigh in that day.

But as some of the other girls have said measurements and how you feel healthywise and clothes fitting wise is the best. You are doing great!!!
Closed Thread