Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Closed Thread

Old 10-29-2001, 04:28 PM   #1  
Dropping so I can TTC

Default Is anyone taking Zoloft or any other antidepressants?

I have been diagnosed with Depression and PTSD (post truamatic stress disorder).
After battling for so long and avoiding being prescribed meds, I finally decided to go on Meds and have been prescribed Zoloft.
Is or has anyone taken it? How did it affect your weight? I take my first dose tonight. Thanks
Old 10-31-2001, 01:56 PM   #2  
Mel

Default antidepressants

Jill- I usually post over on the Sugarbusters thread, but was lurking here because I have fibromyalgia. I've been on various antidepressants for the last 12 years to regulate my sleep patterns which helps with fibro. pain.

I currently take serzone and clonopin, and have lost 26 pounds since 7/24 on Sugarbusters, with A LOT of exercise.

I believe Zoloft is also marketed as Wellbutrin, which is one of the few antidepressants with little or no effect on weight gain. Some studies have shown that people actually lose weight on it ;my rheumatologist told me that some MD's are using it off-label as a diet drug, much the same way that it is used to help smokers curb nicotine cravings. I asked to switch med's becuase of this, but since I'm not really having any problems currently with what I am taking, we decided not to switch me for now. Changing meds can be physically traumatic for fibro patients....

Hope this helps- feel free to email me directly if you have any other questions. I don't look at this board very frequently.

Also- check out the particular drugs on webmd.com. or do a search on zoloft and see what you get. Good Luck!

mel
Old 10-31-2001, 03:32 PM   #3  

Default Hi

There was an article in the FIRST magazine about antidepressants.

SOME MEDICINES SLOW YOUR METABOLISM

We often think medicines target only the site they're supposed to act on without having any other effect; but, of course, the brain also responds - sometimes in surprising ways. For instance, older antidepressants drugs called tricyclics not only elevate mood, they're notorious for also increasing appetite and slowing metabolic rate. In fact, it's not unusual for tricyclic users to gain significant weight without increasing their food intake.

THE NEWER SSRIs

Newer drugs that act only on specific brain systems, selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) like Prozax, Paxil and Zoloft, are supposed to prevent this. Yet many SSRI usuers still pack on pounds regardless of what or how much they eat. As the director of the UPMC Weight Management Center, I see it all the time. The gains can be modest or severe, but they'rs also frustrating, because most people don't associate them with medicines.

Forturnately, Denise, who gained 20 pounds on Zoloft, did. "My doctor says it shouldn't be the Zoloft," Denise explained. "He says I'm just eating more now that I'm not depressed." When I told her that the drug could be the cause of her recent weight gain, she immediately wanted to stop taking it. Instead, I suggested two things. "First, go to your doctor and ask him to find another SSRI that doesn't make you gain weight. The second ,you can do yourself. About 15 percent of your metabolic rate is based on exercise, and burning just 250 extra calories a day helps offset the metabolic imbalance your medication is causing." It took Denise and her doctor a few months to discover that, for her, Prozac worked as well as Zoloft without promoting weight gain. In that time, she also became an avid exerciser and lost all 20 pounds.
Old 11-01-2001, 05:39 PM   #4  

Red face Re: antidepressants

Quote:
Originally posted by meliris
I believe Zoloft is also marketed as Wellbutrin, which is one of the few antidepressants with little or no effect on weight gain.
Nope, Zoloft is not Wellbutrin. Zoloft is a cousin to Prozac, in the class of antidepressants called SSRIs.

I was taking Zoloft for a while, but quit because it was giving me SERIOUS gastrointestinal effects. Now I'm taking generic Prozac. I have not noticed a med-related weight gain; for

me, I eat less when I am not depressed, that helps my weight loss efforts.

AmMen
Old 11-05-2001, 12:13 AM   #5  

Talking I had to reply to you

HI, I have been on Zoloft for around 3 months now. I have only lost 10 pounds, but I haven't been trying to lose weight, and before the Zoloft I was steadily gaining. For me the Zoloft took away my extreme food cravings. I think it is great!! Just remember that everyone is different and it may be 6-8 weeks before you see the full effect.

Amanda
Closed Thread