Old 02-26-2007, 11:25 AM   #1  
LLV

Default This Week's Healthiest Food - Spinach

http://www.whfoods.com/index.html?PH...cf68e93580e481

Something I'm half afraid to eat anymore, unless it's frozen. I haven't bought fresh spinach (or any bagged salads) since the E. Coli scare.

In fact, there's a LOT of things I don't buy anymore.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 01:03 PM   #2  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Oh I love spinach. I had some last night. And it was the bagged kind.

I will tell you this LLV, my fellow cauliflower lover, first of all they were real cheap this past week. But you will not beleive what happened to me yesterday. I was eating my lunch, a veggie burger and some steamed, uh huh, cauliflower and I go to take a bite of my cauliflower and sitting there embedded in one of the florets is a rather not small, big, brown, ugly, disgusting BUG. It was GROSS. I naturally dumped the whole thing. This is very freaky for me. I just don't know how I am going to eat my beloved vegetable again. I just don't know what to do. Grrrrr. Stupid bug.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 01:14 PM   #3  

It's sad that you stopped buying spinach. I know I did for a while as well. I have started buying it again because it is a big part of my diet. In fact today I have white bean, spinach and barley stew for lunch. Looks good, but i suspect it needs some chicken.

I wish I could find the baby spinach in big bunches at my market like regular spinach. I'd save myself a bit of $ I am sure buying it that way.

<--has cauliflower in fridge. Will make sure to look for bugs.. UGH!!
LindaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 01:23 PM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I had spinach last night
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 01:57 PM   #5  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

I have two bunches ready to go into my favorite veggie soup.

You know, unless you are going to eat all processed foods only, its really hard to be 100% guaranteed that you wont get a food borne disease. The epediemologist in Oregon who identified the source of the spinach contamination eats crap like twinkies because they are so far removed from food that they are the lowest risk. She wont eat anything raw or unprocessed.

Oh wait...and then the processed pb got salmonella.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 01:59 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I've been on a real spinach kick lately. I have had the frozen chopped spinach in at least 3 dishes in the past two weeks and last night I made Cooking Light Chicken Enchiladas with Spinach Cream Sauce. Wow, extremely good (and very green LOL).
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 03:42 PM   #7  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Baby spinach is my all time favourite salad veggie. I love good old steamed spinach too. Always have . . . even when I was a kid.
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 04:35 PM   #8  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
I will tell you this LLV, my fellow cauliflower lover, first of all they were real cheap this past week. But you will not beleive what happened to me yesterday. I was eating my lunch, a veggie burger and some steamed, uh huh, cauliflower and I go to take a bite of my cauliflower and sitting there embedded in one of the florets is a rather not small, big, brown, ugly, disgusting BUG. It was GROSS. I naturally dumped the whole thing. This is very freaky for me. I just don't know how I am going to eat my beloved vegetable again. I just don't know what to do. Grrrrr. Stupid bug.
Oh yuk!

Try not to let it spoil it for you, though. Bugs get into lots of stuff. I'm sure we've eaten hundreds of them without even knowing it! When I eat cauliflower, I wash it and break it up before cooking.

I had cauliflower just a few days ago, I have to buy another head. But here they're $2.99!

And I miss my baby spinach in my salads. I really really do

I used to put it on sandwiches and in pitas, too. I'm sure that's how I packed in extra nutrients. But I'm just paranoid.

But then I still buy other produce, so I don't see what difference it makes. It's just the baby spinach comes in the bags and I stay the heck away from bagged salads now. I can't buy baby spinach in bunches. And the baby spinach is what I want. Also, our only brand of baby spinach is Dole. And Dole is the company that keeps recalling food because of salmonella and E. Coli.

So I stopped buying anything of theirs. It's obvious their factories are not clean.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 08:52 PM   #9  
Yee Haw!

S/C/G: 278/220/130

Height: 5'4"

I love raw bagged baby spinach. Once its cooked, I wont eat it. I dont care for the taste.
Kamily828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 01:21 PM   #10  

I love raw spinach salad. Last night instead, though, I steamed it and then drizzled it with a touch of sesame oil right before eating. Yummy.
ChadsMate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 11:43 PM   #11  
Method to the Madness

S/C/G: 381.4/in the middle/160

Height: 5'9

I eat spinach all the time... though I usually buy the "select spinach" bags because they're a dollar cheaper than the baby spinach and you get almost twice as much. I think it's Popeye (lol) brand or something. I put it on sandwiches, mix it with other salad greens, etc. I don't worry too much about the E. Coli thing though, because if I was paranoid about that, I'd have to be paranoid about everything else too. Pretty much everything in life is taking a risk and I'd say in the grand scheme of things, I'm willing to take my chance with veggies.
LindseyLouWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 12:08 PM   #12  
Goodbye Fat!

An egg white and spinach omelete is my breakfast 4 days a week.
dollypie is offline   Reply With Quote