Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 02-23-2007, 11:21 PM   #1  
loving my beautiful self

Height: 5'5"

Default how do you discard binge food?

All right... I feel so embarassed to be writing this.. will I clog the toilet if I flush cookies and cake? Should I soak them first? I don't want to throw them in the trash because a) I don't want to keep seeing them there and know that they are within reach! b) I don't want to sift and eat them from the garbage if I became desperate What do you do when you want to get rid of tempting or binge food?

Even now that I'm writing about getting rid of them, there's a thought in my head that suggest I eat some more before I get rid of it, just because I can and after this there won't be more. Seriously. what the ****. and I should be more upset about bingeing. I really should be. This complacency is not a good sign.

Last edited by beautifulone; 02-23-2007 at 11:27 PM.
beautifulone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 11:39 PM   #2  
Melissa

Height: 5'9''

Well you need to get it out of sight out of mind for sure! I would take it out to the dumpster here cause there is no way I'd be able to get it back from there, can you do that? Otherwise you could put it in the normal trash and put something yucky on top of it. Oh and the little voice in your head is in everyones head, that's why cravings are so hard to overcome at times. When I think I'm going to binge I make some tea or something and then preoccupy myself with something like this site to remind myself of my goal!
Bikini Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 12:48 AM   #3  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

Thumbs up Get rid of that stuff ...

Yes, I agree with these ladies; you must get the junk out of the house. If you have a lot and it's still new, you can give it away to family, friends, neighbours, or a local food bank. But if it's just small stuff, stomp on it and throw it in the trash. Sweep your floor and dump the dirt on top; you won't want to touch it then. LOL!

I realized that there are just certain foods that I can't have in my house, cuz I can't discipline myself not to eat them ~ like cookies or chippies. I do allow myself a treat once a week, like light popcorn; this allays cravings for me. If need be, purchase only one serving, that way you cannot over-indulge. Do whatever works best for you.

A fellow encourager ... Rosebud.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 01:33 AM   #4  

Height: 5'3''

I always hated people who wasted food until I started doing it too. I throw out some food pretty often now and I feel awful doing it. So I try to toss it outside so either the dog or birds can eat it. Because although yea, it does stop me from binging on it, it is still wasting and I feel guilty.
WeightOnMyMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 03:47 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 182.5/137.5/140

Height: 5' 6"

I had a binge for the first time in ages the other day and when i decided I HAD to stop i soak the remaining cookies (yup, I'm a sweet tooth too!) with soap dish water so they were gross, wrapped them in a plastic bag and threw them in the bin!

Good Luck, I hope you found a way to get rid!
Carobelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 06:17 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 180/180/150

Height: 5'4

I have a cat...so when I want to get rid of something I put it in a small plastic bag and then clean the litter box putting the clumps in the bag with the food. Tie it up and take it to the outside trash.

The dish detergent trick also stops the garbage picking behavior in its tracks.

God its awful to admit that I have garbage picked.
Clickme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 11:22 AM   #7  
loving my beautiful self

Thanks all. I've never gone through the garbage but some days I wonder if I may... I soaked the stuff and then flushed it down the toilet. Thank goodness! Healthy breakfast for me this morning
Old 02-24-2007, 12:50 PM   #8  
Bikini Dreader

S/C/G: 141/120/120

Height: 5'3''

I completely agree with you all. I can't have any of my trigger foods in the house. I just went grocery shopping this morning and for once didnt buy any of those foods. Somehow at the store, i convince myself that this time I will be able to eat only half the bag or whatever. It never works. I have now realized that until I have a handle on this, I just can't have that food in my house. Otherwise, I feel guilty and get the thought in my head that this will be the last time I can eat that food so I binge. I basically use my body as a trash can instead of throwing the food out like I should be. I'm a huge non-waster and my family never let me leave the table without finishing what I put on my plate. This could be part of my problem. It's definitely better to throw out what you dont need. I read somewhere to think of it as waste, you are either going to put the waste on yourself or in the garbage. It's waste either way so its better to just throw it out. I agree, that throwing something disgusting on top is the only way to do it. Did anyone ever see that Sex and the City where Miranda ate an entire chocolate cake. She tried to throw it out and picked it from the garbage and then put dish soap on it. I just thought of that while reading these posts. Stay strong ladies. Know your limits and be true to yourself. If you know you can't have that food in your house, then don't bring it in. It is a lot less tempting when you have to go out to get it. Have a great day everyone.
Bikini Dreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 01:21 PM   #9  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I think just about anyone who's ever had to deal with bingeing has been there, done that, so first and foremost, don't feel alone I have done as some others have mentioned--I put whatever it is in the garbage and then make sure to put something wet/stinky/gross on top of it so I both can't see it and can't take it out again later (and yes, I've done this before if, for example, I threw out a package of cookies still wrapped in the celophane so the actual cookies were not touching anything else in the trash).

Also, I now live in a 16-story building, so I have a trash chute at the end of the hallway that takes all the trash into a dumpster in the basement, so that's a good option for me now, too.

About "wasting" food--I used to feel bad about it, but isn't it really just as wasteful to eat it when you don't need it? It's not like I would ever send such parishable items as cookies or ice cream or whatever to a starving third-world country, so I don't feel bad about completely trashing junk food. I don't feed it to animals, either, because it's often even more harmful to then tham to me since thier bodies aren't used to it.

Whaever you do/did with it, I want to give you a HUGE congrats on getting rid of it!! This battle is one bite, one meal, one day at a time, and today you won
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 05:26 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 190/148/125

Height: 5'4"

Give it away. I usually either eat it little by little over a week and promise not to buy it again or I share it with someone. I don't throw away food. If you get the urge to eat cookies drink a liter of water and we'll see if you can eat those cookies.
miss katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 09:39 AM   #11  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss katz View Post
I usually either eat it little by little over a week and promise not to buy it again or I share it with someone.
I'm soooo glad that this works for you, but I think for those of us with real bingeing problems, keeping it in the house and trying to eat a little at a time is a recipe for disaster. The problem with being a binge eater is that you CAN'T eat just a little--it's often a very "all or nothing" mentality. If we could handle eating just a little at a time, then it wouldn't be such a problem to have the food in the house
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 11:15 AM   #12  
loving my beautiful self

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
I'm soooo glad that this works for you, but I think for those of us with real bingeing problems, keeping it in the house and trying to eat a little at a time is a recipe for disaster. The problem with being a binge eater is that you CAN'T eat just a little--it's often a very "all or nothing" mentality. If we could handle eating just a little at a time, then it wouldn't be such a problem to have the food in the house
Exactly.
Old 03-11-2007, 08:05 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by beautifulone View Post
What do you do when you want to get rid of tempting or binge food?
Hi Beautiful,

Looks like everyone has left some great tips!

Personally, I squirt shampoo all over my binge food, but I like the dish soap idea even better because it's cheaper than shampoo.

Wishing everyone luck!
lilith9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 09:05 PM   #14  
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

Also, if it is like a cake, then I mash it up in my hands and really goo it up like playing with playdough. Then I can feel like I have "experienced" the food through some sense before I get rid of it by throwing it in the trash. But if you do this you must be able to have to will to wash off your hands immediately. Otherwise you'd lick your fingers.
shrinkingchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 12:32 AM   #15  
loving my beautiful self

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinkingchica View Post
If it is like a cake, then I mash it up in my hands and really goo it up like playing with playdough. Then I can feel like I have "experienced" the food through some sense
Charlotte, that is genius. I wonder if I could manage that, having it in front of me and knowing that I will be throwing it out soon and not eating it. For some reason I have an impulse to have just a bit more before I discard junk food (not so much with my regular food). But I will keep this in mind and if the opportunity presents itself, see how I fare.