Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 02-22-2007, 08:54 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Default Going down (okay, up) in flames

Up until a few weeks ago, I had been maintaining for a couple of months. These last few weeks, I've been experiencing more pain than usual, and feeling just blah in addition. So I've reverted back to previous behavior, and I'm eating my pain, so to speak--it's a comfort tactic that, of course, ends up being uncomfortable. This is something I've had a problem with during this whole weight-loss journey, but lately it's overwhelmed me.

I'd really like to kick this, especially before my weight starts to skyrocket, but I'm at a loss as to how to do it. I'm still exercising 5-6 days per week (45-60 min. cardio, 35 min. or so of weightlifting, and 15-20 min. stretching), but it's hard to keep on going because of the pain. Wednesday I skipped the gym because I was so tired, but I did walk for 30 min. and did some stability ball work. My trainer is lovely, but I don't think she gets the whole comfort-eating issue. If I felt better, I could exercise when I felt like eating, but if I could exercise, then I wouldn't feel like eating, KWIM?

So I guess what I'm wondering is if anyone has any suggestions on what I could do before I eat myself back into plus sizes again?
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 09:49 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Personally, I would fall back into the structure of full-on "lose weight mode." House completely junk free, menus planned, groceries bought, lunches packed, snacks arranged every day, portions pre-decided and pre-portioned (if possible), eating every 2-3 hours to prevent hunger. I would make sure that the healthy meals I selected were meals I actually liked and looked forward to eating. Keep a food journal where you are accountable, knowing I have to write something down will sometimes keep me from eating it.

What else can you do besides eat and exercise? Keep your hands busy - knit, write letters. Call your mom or a friend or someone to distract you. Look at your before pictures, try on your before pants. Get a catalog and play "lottery" - what would I buy if won the lottery? Balance your checkbook, sort clothes for goodwill. Join a bookclub. Take a bath. Come post here! If I am munchy and not really hungry, I brush my teeth a lot, I can't eat food with a freshly minty mouth.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 07:10 AM   #3  
Mel

Sheila,
I don't know what the source of your pain is, but I can really empathize. I have fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue and a lot of days it's a huge battle to not head for my own forms of comfort food. My tricks have been to find some replacement comfort foods- hot peppermint tea with sugar free chocolate syrup is a big treat for me. Visualisation of my body- the way I want it to look, MOVING, even visualizing the numbers on the scale. Looking at pictures of other people really doesn't help me, personally.

The other component is that I really know that movement and keeping the weight off makes me feel physically better, even though momentarily chewing my way through the kitchen of healthy food seems like a better alternative. No Matter how little "junk" is in my house, if I allow myself to fall into pity eating, even too much cottage cheese and salmon becomes a comfort.

I read, knit, or get on the recumbent bike for a leisurely pedal if it's really all about food.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 08:13 AM   #4  

Height: 5'7"

Hi Sheila,

I have a really tough time when I'm not feeling well physically. But one thing that does work very well for me (when I remember to do it) to help avoid eating when I "shouldn't" is to delay for 15 minutes and then do what I want. That is long enough to find a distraction, and not long enough that I'll get really hungry and go crazy. I have been known to literally watch the clock spin around 15 times and then eat the forbidden thing, but usually I'll find something to do in that amount of time that will break me out of the cycle. I have a handful of other techniques too, but the 15 minute rule is the most powerful for me.

I don't know where your pain comes from, but I do hope you are feeling better soon.

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 10:02 AM   #5  

Sheila,
Would it be helpful to "soften" your exercise just a bit for the short term? I, too, have fibromyalgia and arthritis, and movement is the key to my well-being. But there are days when I simply can't muster up the oomph to lift weights or do high-intensity anything. On those days, my fall-back position is to take a walk or to hop on the treadmill at a lower-than-usual setting. I also like to get in the pool. Another idea is to do yoga or stretching or even pilates. These kinds of exercises keep me moving and fluid yet don't leave me feeling drained. I get a tiny endorphin kick, and I feel like I'm in control. I really like everyone else's ideas, too, and I'm going to try them myself! Good luck with this.
Airegrrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 08:48 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Thank you all so much. Chronic pain is just such a bummer (I have something called spasmodic torticollis). You've made some really helpful suggestions that I'm going to try. I WILL get through this!
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 09:28 PM   #7  

Dear Sheila,

I just went to a couple of ST websites and found myself reading about a syndrome that until today was totally unknown to me. This must be very difficult to live with. It's not a wonder that comfort food is so alluring. I've got to think that a sense of inner control would be very helpful and if nothing else, clean eating (however you define it for yourself) and a regular exercise schedule will help give you that sense of control. We're here for you in whatever way we can be.
Airegrrrl is offline   Reply With Quote