Closed Thread

Old 10-25-2001, 12:45 PM   #1  
Senior Tortoise

Default Turtle Club #38

Here's Lin's official introduction to the group:

The Hare and the Tortoise

A hare met a tortoise one day and made fun of him for the slow and clumsy way in which he walked.

The tortoise laughed and said, "I will run a race with you any time that you choose."

"Very well," replied the hare, "we will start at once."

The tortoise immediately set off in his slow and steady way without waiting a moment or looking back. The hare, on the other hand, treated the matter as a joke and decided to take a little nap before starting, for she thought that it would be an easy matter to overtake her rival.

The tortoise plodded on, and meanwhile the hare overslept herself, with the result that she arrived at the winning-post only to see that the tortoise had got in before her.

Moral: Slow and steady wins the race.

This comes from a book handed down from my grandmother to my mother to me. The book is so old it doesn't have a copyright date or an author/editor's credit.

That fable has been the motivation for us turtles for about two years. Someone on the ancient WW forum mentioned the fable and I discovered it was very motivational for me. I talked about it in posts and other people said that the tortoise philosophy worked for them, too. So, I started a thread for us turtle types.

We work toward accepting that our bodies have a natural speed of weight loss when we choose to live a healthy life, instead of "going on a diet". Many of us have experienced "the diets" as go on/lose weight-- go off/ gain the weight plus more back.

We choose to perservere with each choice we make throughout the day. We believe that choosing to be slow, steady turtles helps us to learn the skills we need to learn in order to not only lose the weight, but keep it off and become the healthiest people we can be.

So, welcome to all who realize that losing and maintaining a weight loss is a lifestyle change. And who want support as we all learn the skills we need to successfully make the changes that will allow us to reach our goals.
Old 10-25-2001, 01:01 PM   #2  
Senior Tortoise

Hi, everyone. Lin, the other one was getting long; hope you don't mind my leaping in.

Judy, a "gain" of 1/4 pound counts as staying the same in my book. This week, my WW leader told us about another WW leader who didn't let any of her folks find out what their weight was this week. They weighed in but didn't get to see the results until after the meeting. She asked each person if they had a good week or a bad week. Her point: don't let the scale be your only barometer of whether you had a good or bad week.

And boy, have I ever found that to be good advice. Maybe it was warmer than usual, so your body holds onto water. Or maybe you had something salty. Or maybe your body built up some muscle. Or maybe it's because you had a big loss the week before, and your body needs to adjust. Or, or, or ... there are so many reasons why our bodies might not lose weight, even if we've done all the right things.

The main thing is not to let it discourage you, and to KEEP AT IT. It's the only way to get the weight off long term. I know you know all this; I'm just reminding both of us, since I need to hear it right now, too, with TOM impending. Another helpful thing, I found this past week, was to write down one positive thing I did on the program each day in my journal. Last week my WW leader said that in order to be successful, you have to FEEL successful. So she made us think about all the ways we were successful this week. That' so much more helpful that thinking about ways we let ourselves down -- which always seems to be easier, for some reason.

This week she asked us to pick one behavior and focus on changing it. I picked getting in more fruits and vegetables. I always eat less junk when I do that. I'm eating a lovely salad with tofu as I type.

Boy, is it windy here -- and cold! Yesterday it got up to 72; today we're having a high of 48! Brrrr. I need to buy a winter coat. My old one is finally just way too big, but it was sooooo warm. I hate to spend money on a coat I may not even be able to wear next year. But what can you do? I have to have a winter coat! So I'm checking out thrift stores ...

I got in about 4 hours of exercise yesterday! I did just a 30-minute workout in the morning, then I walked with a friend for another half hour later in the day (impromptu walk), and then I cleaned the house -- and really worked up a sweat! Housecleaning is good exercise.

Have a great Thursday, everyone.

Onward and downward,

Lauren
Old 10-26-2001, 01:54 PM   #3  
Turtle Buddy

Hi, Turtles,

I was weird, Lauren, to log on, ready to start a new thread and see it's already been done. Thanks. I'm not used to you starting it so soon after it hits two pages, but that's the best time. I never managed to keep my connection long enough yesterday to set up a new thread.

Judy, ditto what Lauren said. Think of it this way--1/4 of a pound is a mere 4 ounces. Look at a measuring cup and think about how little 4 ounces seems when it's the portion of food you're having. lol! Maybe that thought can put some perspective on the issue. Now, I know that those 4 ounces can add up, but only if they continue. I doubt that will happen because you're doing so well with sticking with the program. Hang in there!

Lauren, I really liked the report about things your leader said that were helpful to you.

Get yourself that coat. You deserve to be warm this winter. It's OK to buy a coat and then get another one next year. Sometimes we just have to forget about the money issue and be good to ourselves. We're more important than money. If it were your dh, you'd buy him the coat, wouldn't you? Right--so treat yourself as well as you'd treat others. You're the only self that you have. And this is the only time you'll pass through this part of your life. Enjoy it. (Can you tell that I struggle with this myself?)

WOW! Do you remember when you couldn't do four hour of exercise? That's so cool, the progress you're making.

I did my long walk yesterday. I'm going to walk today after lunch. And maybe go with my dh on another walk this evening to pick up a rental car. Rental cars are cheap here and we're renting one so we can go to see my younger son's play. It's a one-act comedy and he's the lead. He was worried about the monologue, but I'm sure he got it worked out. I'm looking forward to it. He's so much fun to watch onstage. My mother thinks that we shouldn't spend the money because we have to get the car fixed, but I think that my son's play is much more important. We can eat omelettes for dinner a couple of days next week and save some money from the grocery budget to cover the cost of the car.

Things are going well this week. I'm not sure how the weight loss is going because I don't step on the scale between Sunday weigh-ins, but I've been at the top of my range and occasionally a few points over (covered by acitivity points and banked points) but . . . I've not exercised this much on a regular basis in a long time. I'm not sure how it's affecting my weight loss because I have been a little more hungry lately. So, I'm feeding myself and we'll see what happens. I can make adjustments if I need to.

Hope everyone is doing well today.

Happy turtlin'!

Lin
272/242/135 or so
Old 10-26-2001, 06:28 PM   #4  
Chick

Height: 5'4"

Angry

Hi All,
Thanks for all the good advice. It's so reassuring to come here and be in touch with you all.

Lauren,
Get out and get that coat. I know exactly what you mean. I could use a few things , but I don't want any more clothes in this size. I think we all go through those feelings. Anyway--get out there and get yourself something nice and keep on keepin' on.
You're really hitting the exercise part of WW. That's fantastic. Keep it up!

Lin,
So glad you'll get to see your son as a lead in a play. What wonderful times for all of you. Enjoy it. And keep up the exercise.
That's wonderful that you're doing so well.

Let's all do this!
Judy \
234/thinner/199 by Christmas!!!!!
Old 10-27-2001, 07:06 PM   #5  

Lin, I regularly have omelettes for dinner! They're a good source of protein--if I was a vegan I don't know WHAT I'd do, I can't stand to handle tofu and there's a limit to the soy products that are made. Though I have to say, I do love Morningstar Farms. I agree with you, your son's play is far more important. Think how crushed he would be, even if he didn't admit it, if you didn't go. It's good to see you have your priorities in line (at least, to me )--not that I ever doubted you didn't!

Lauren, get yourself a good coat. It's something you need, and you need it right now. If you don't need it in the future, then yay for you. But you need it *now*. It's not even a splurge, it's a necessity. Be kind to yourself.

Judy, it's nice to see you're still with us. There's the pot calling the kettle black, but anyway. When I read about your computer problems I was afraid you'd gone for good!

Life is going remarkably well right now. It's the end of DH's first week of work, and he's been coming home each night and laying in bed with me and telling me stories from work. Always, he interjects at random moments-- "You know, I love my job." It's lovely to see him so happy, and to get the man I married back! Right now he's happily surrounded by guitars at the local guitar store. He's allowing himself to dream again, and who am I to get in the way of that?

I've been OP, REALLY OP, for this last week. Remarkable how well the program works when you do it as it's written, isn't it? I've dropped 3 1/2 pounds as of this morning's scale! I've started a bead chain for every day I'm OP, too, so I have something tangible to focus me. No forseeable upsets in the future, not even imminent in-laws (how nice is it that they live 5,000 miles away?). If upsets happen in the future, of course, I have a battle plan now. This whole regain thing will NOT happen again.

Oh well, must be off to battle a headache!

Last edited by mousie; 10-28-2001 at 04:08 PM.
Old 10-28-2001, 04:16 PM   #6  
Senior Tortoise

Lin, that's great you're getting the walks in. I'll bet you feel better, too. How was the play?

Judy, it is reassuring to come here, isn't it?

Mousie, I love the image of your DH surrounded by guitars and dreaming.

Well, I've had one tough few days with our younger cat, Chloe. She wasn't herself for a couple days toward the end of last week, and on Friday evening (after all the vets are closed, of course), we felt her stomach and it was hard and distended. Got her to the emergency vet hospital, where they checked her for blockages and then gave her a laxative. Didn't do any good, so the next day we had to bring her back and they gave her two enemas! (The first didn't work.) This was one constipated kitty. Apparently that can kill them before too long. Today she's got diarrhea and feels pretty lousy. I hope we can get her to drink at some point. Naturally, I worry. I can't imagine having human kitties -- er, kiddies. I'll probably have to take her to her regular vet this week, too, to find out what caused the problem in the first place. Nothing like throwing a little money around ...

As for as the program goes, when I'm really anxious I have trouble eating. It's the only time that happens. But I haven't hit my minimum points the past couple days, and was low the day before that. I figure it'll even out, since TOM started on Thursday and I had eaten more before that, as I usually do. My workouts have suffered, too, though I've been getting in walks. Just not as intense.

Ah, well. Onward and downward,

Lauren
Old 10-29-2001, 10:58 AM   #7  
Turtle Buddy

Hi, Turtles,

Judy, it's good to hear from you. I hope things are going well today.

Mousie, I'm so glad your dh loves his new job. There's not much that's worse than dragging yourself to a job that you can't stand, day after day. And it's great that he's back dreaming about those guitars.

Congratulations on the three and a half pounds! Your bead chain is a great idea. Those things really help keep the fun in this so we find it easier to stick with it.

Lauren, I'm glad that there wasn't anything worse wrong with your kitty. As for the "kiddies", well, when you have them you just take what comes next and deal with it. And there's always something, even after they grow up!

It's good that you're getting in some walks, while you're not able to get in your regular workouts. Those walks will keep the exercise momentum going. I find, for myself, that at TOM walking is the most strenuous exercise I can manage to get the energy to do.

I lost one more pound this week. That's four in four weeks. A steady, turtle pace.

Chris's play was really good. He's funny. He says he's not, but the audience was cracking up. David is doing fine at his new job. It's hard for him because he really doesn't like working retail, but that's all there is around here, so he's doing it anyway.

I've been getting in my walks and staying within my points, except when we were in SJ. But, I had banked points to cover and we walked at least 4 hours during the course of the day.

We may have either the use of a car or we may be buying it, which will give us a second car. The bad news is that it's another ancient auto with a lot of miles on it. But, it's safer than our car is at the moment and if we can use, buy, or rent it from the owner (a friend of David's) for a few months, it will save us worrying about Paul's safety while he drives to work every day.

Talk with you all later. Hope those of you who aren't posting are doing as well as we all are. Have a great day!

Happy turtlin'!

Lin
272/241/135 or so
Old 10-29-2001, 08:23 PM   #8  
Chick

Angry

Lin,
So glad you had a great time at the play. You must have been so proud of your son. It's really wonderful to see them grow up well.
As far as David, even though it's not his first choice of a job, good for him for earning money. I always told my kids when they were working at jobs they didn't like to keep it in their experience bank and vow to get an education so they could do the things they'd prefer. Gosh, it's often not fun to work, so you might as well get as close to something that you like as possible.
I think it's fabulous that you lost another pound. This sounds like a record! Way to go......

Lauren,
Sounds like you're a little off kilter right now. You're really centered and well balanced, so think this through and you'll be right on track. The kitty scare is a tough one. I had a cat a long time ago. We helped her rescue her kittens from drowning and I always had such a warm feeling toward her and her babies. We need that touch with someone other than ourselves to care for.
Take good care of yourself right now and nurture your kitten too.

Mousie,
Good to hear from you. I sure am trying to find different times of the day to read this forum. It's extremely important to my state of mind and weight loss. I've got a great picture of your dh in my mind surrounded by guitars and looking really happy. That's pretty remarkable when you figure I have no idea what he looks like. I am so happy for you that you lost 3 1/2# this week. That's fabulous. Take care of yourself and keep on posting.

Everyone,
Well, Saturday night we had a Halloween party. It really was a lot of fun and I enjoyed myself. Then my son, his wife, and baby stayed over and we had a nice time. Unfortunately my eating isn't as good as I'd like. I have to figure out what to eat when they want to eat high caloric foods. I had it figured out and planned, but it was for too long a time of temptations for me and it was tough. I guess I just really wanted to eat more than to lose weight. So----I'm OP now and will continue so right through
Wed. at my WW WI.

Best of luck to everyone. Post when you can and join us in this turtle march to victory!

Judy
234/thinner/199# by Christmas
Old 10-30-2001, 10:47 AM   #9  
Senior Tortoise

Judy, the Halloween party sounded fun. I know what you mean about succumbing after periods of prolonged temptation. It's rough. I guess the holiday season kind of begins for many people right around now -- Halloween, then Thanksgiving, then the Christmas month-long festivities. I always enjoy this time of year (September through December is my favorite time of year), but it can play havoc with one's weight. I may have mentioned this already, but my WW leader, Pam, now makes a concerted effort to lose 5-10 pounds every year *before* the holiday season. I think that's incredibly smart of her and no doubt contributes to her having kept her weight off all these years. I know I have to work to be more vigilant now, since this is roughly when my weight loss has slowed to a crawl (or reversed) in the past few years.

Thanks also for the kind words and good advice. The cat is back to having extremely hard poops, so of course I'm worried she'll end up back in the hospital and am neurosing about what to do for her. I really don't know why I've been so stressed out about this cat. Probably in part because I can become anxious and obsessive about little things when I'm alone a lot -- even though I do enjoy being alone. And being unemployed does add some stress of its own. And then there's the whole terrorism thing, which is more of a background than foreground concern for me, but it's there. Ah, well. At least I'm not having nightmares about it any more.

Lin, great job on the pound down and the good, steady, healthy pace. Whatever you're doing sure is paying off. Good news about the possible car help -- I hope that works out for you.

I went for an hour-long walk outside today instead of doing the videos because I felt it would be more rejuvenating to be outside in the autumn air and intermittant sunshine. It was; I don't feel I got as good a workout, but I really enjoyed the walk and didn't want to come back in. Maybe I'll spend time out in the yard as much as possible today. (Can't go too far because repairmen are coming over this afternoon.)

The home scales show me down 2.5 this week. That actually isn't as huge as it sounds, since I had only lost 2 pounds for the month prior to this loss. So that's still about a pound a week average. A good turtle pace, even if it happens in fits and starts. It does look like my Christmas goal is within reach! And in just another pound and a half, I'll have lost 70 pounds!

Onward and downward,

Lauren
274/205.5/199 by Christmas
Old 10-30-2001, 12:48 PM   #10  
Turtle Buddy

Hi, Turtles,

Judy, you seem to be struggling a little right now. I know that your life seems to contain a lot of food challenges. I wonder if you are including enough special foods, foods that nurture your soul, as well as your body, on a regular basis. They don't have to be high calorie junk food, either. I make sure I keep homemade bread in my freezer and soup in my fridge. I discovered that by making sure that the foods I absolutely cannot live without are in my food choices on a regular basis (saving up points, if necessary), I don't have as much of a problem with parties and get-togethers.

It's easier to focus on the company because I don't feel deprived or punished by "not being able" to eat foods that don't fit my plan for the day, since if I really want them, I eat them periodically. I don't see it as "not being able" to eat certain foods or the foods usually served at certain times. I see it as "not choosing to" eat those foods because they don't fit into my plan for the day. Or I save up points and choose the foods that I really want, in small enough quantities to fit into my plan. I went through a whole party once and didn't eat anything. I had some bottled water and that's it. I wasn't hungry and I was having too good a time to be worrying about food. No one noticed or cared. Good luck to you as you work through this holiday season.

Lauren, way to go! I think your Christmas goal is definitely reachable. You know, an hour-long walk may not be as strenuous of a workout, but I've noticed that it definitely makes a difference. I didn't get mine in yesterday, though. I've found that when I bake bread it's hard to get out for that long walk because I don't want the dough to rise too much, so I need to be at home to check on it. But, I was 2 points under my minimum, which is the minimum for Winning Points, without any activity points. So, I think I'm on track, anyway. Waiting to celebrate your 70 pounds in about a week or two!

You're doing great despite being a little stressed about not having a job and the cat and the terrorism that is in the back of all of our minds these days.

You mentioned that being alone a lot can cause you to obsess about little things. I know that I get that way if I'm alone too much without a project that stimulates me mentally. Creative projects are particularly good. Right now, I'm enjoying that I'm alone for hours every day. I can write in peace. No one interrupting me to ask me stuff they could figure out for themselves, if they'd take the time to do it. (Like finding things that are in the closet, but behind something else.)

So, have you started any writing or other creative project, as you mentioned that you wanted to do? Maybe this is a time you're being given to do more of the creative projects you enjoy. Or maybe I'm just thinking that way because it's so clear to me that my current situation is precisely for that purpose in my own life.

So, my life is totally different from what it was last year at this time. WW is not an issue any more. I just do it and I don't really think about it. I hope I can maintain the attitude that is allowing it to be not a big deal because it means that I have more time to focus on the other parts of my life. My writing. My photography, which may get a large boost if my son can figure out how to turn our small bathroom into a darkroom and where to dispose of the fixer, which cannot legally be dumped down the drain. And a new quest I've been sent on. It's a spiritual quest and it's something I think God has wanted me to take for years, but I wasn't listening. And I hope that doesn't sound crazy to you guys, but I've always, from the time I was a child, interested in the spiritual and philosophical aspects of life. And it's become clear to me that it's time to explore some issues that have been bothering me for a while.

So, I'm very busy. OP. And things are going fine. It feels so good to be writing that after all of those months of setting my alarm just because I was afraid that if I didn't I wouldn't bother to get out of bed. I'll know more about the car situation tomorrow evening. The guy has to discuss it with his wife. He didn't want to start a family thing if we weren't interested in it. Which I think is a good plan.

Hope things are going well for all of you today.

Happy turtlin'!

Lin
272/241/135 or so
Old 10-31-2001, 11:49 AM   #11  
Senior Tortoise

Lin, great minds think alike. Yesterday I did indeed start writing again. I was surprised at how hard it was and how short a time I was able to make myself do it. I think it's kind of like exercise -- you have to build up, and it probably never actually gets "easy." Part of the problem is that I have no idea what I'm writing about at this point -- I'm just writing. But you're right, it's what I need right now so I don't go nuts.

You're also right about an hour-long walk making a difference. I definitely felt more energized afterwards, and I really enjoyed getting outside and just seeing the neighborhood -- what people have done with fall decorations, squirrels tunneling into pumpkins on porches (I got a huge chuckle over that). I'm going to walk again today. I did a new video workout this morning and found that it wasn't strenuous enough, though it was fun (Richard Simmons "Disco Sweat" -- great John Travolta moves). I don't want to outgrow Richard -- I love his routines!

Last night's WW meeting was good again. I really enjoy Pam, the leader. She had 17 words that can get you through any situation, and she listed them for us. They were:

Prepare
Care
Believe
Forgive
Change
Risk
Listen
Choose
Relax
Pray
Persist
Wait
Smile
Focus
Act
Trust
Accept

(Personally, I would add "love" and "give thanks" in there too.) She then talked about how Halloween is, for many, the kickoff for the holiday season. She referred to Halloween as the pop quiz, Thanksgiving as the mid-term, and Christmas as the final exam. So she asked us to look at that list of words and pick one that we could apply to Halloween that would help us through. A lot of good discussion ensued. I picked "prepare," and mentioned that I'd prepared by buying candy I don't like so I wouldn't be tempted by it. Another woman said "focus," and said she would focus by writing down whatever she ate. Another woman said she would focus by putting up the list of points for different kinds of Halloween candy! (Pam passed that out to us.) Pam asked us all to do one thing on Halloween -- write down everything we eat. (Everyone who does this will get entered into a drawing next week for a prize -- usually a box of 2-point bars or smoothies or a cookbook).

It was a good meeting. Turns out I lost 3.2 pounds on the WW scale, which was a surprise. Nothing like having TOM end in order to see a good loss.

Onward and downward,

Lauren
279/209.6/199 by Christmas (WW scales, evening)
Old 10-31-2001, 12:45 PM   #12  
Turtle Buddy

Hi, Turtles,

Lauren, glad to hear that you're writing again. I agree that it is hard, especially when you're searching for something to write about. Have you read or used "Writing Down the Bones" by Natalie Goldberg? The main purpose of the book is to get you writing regularly. I have two copies. If you want one, I'll send it to you.

It will take time to build the habit of writing regularly. And once you start working again, I hope you'll keep writing a little every day. I think you have a lot of talent and a lot to write about. You just need to let it out onto the page.

Super congratulations on that great loss! I know that you said that some of it was the end of TOM, but your weight is still lower and getting closer to your goal. If you hit 199 before Christmas, have you thought about what your next goal will be? Just curious.

I like your list of words and the report about what the class was about. I'm saving it for my file. I think it can help me. I think that my word for right now is "risk". I feel as if I'm risking a lot to lose over 100 pounds because I haven't been anywhere near my goal in over 25 years. Contemplating that makes me realize what a huge change I'm making. It feels risky, but it also feels good. It feels like the kind of risk in life that is a good one to take. It's still scary, but it's going so slowly that I think I'm being given the time I need to deal with the scary parts.

I'm still OP. I changed the way I deal with banked points. I was getting a ridiculous amount of points built up, but I didn't want to have 0 at the beginning of the week, in case I need some on the first day. So, I cap it at ten, the amount you're allowed to use in a day. If I use enough that I go under ten, I'll add back any I bank until I build it back up. If adding the banked points for a day adds up to more than ten, as it did yesterday, I record the amount for my reference, but only count ten of them. I never use more than a few in a day, anyway, unless it's a special occasion.

I didn't walk again yesterday. I had a small stomach problem. It's probably due to the time change. Getting overly tired usually causes this type of problem. But I'm going out after I finish this post for my walk today.

Hope all of you turtles are doing very well today.

Happy turtlin'!

Lin
272/241/135 or so
Old 11-01-2001, 09:35 AM   #13  
Chick

Angry

Lin,
So glad you're OP and writing. Two really remarkable goals that you've been working toward. Hooray! Also hooray about the weight loss. Slow and steady still knocks off a huge amount of weight in a year!

Lauren,
Your cat's going to be fine, and if she's not you'll get her medical help. Being alone and not going to work sounds heavenly until it's not. It presents its own problems that have to be faced and worked through. I'm glad you got some outside exercise yesterday. I think that's a great way to chase away cobwebs in our brains.

Mousie,
Glad to see you're doing so well OP. Isn't it great when we work WW and WW works?

I'm having a tough time here still. I have to shake up my thinking. I'm doing a lot of impuse eating. I had stopped doing that and had kept the food out of the house. However, dh brought some things in for Halloween, and we had delicious leftovers in the fridge from our party (I had given most of the stuff away). I skipped my WW mtg. yesterday which is always a bad sign. I PLAN on going Saturday morning and I plan on eating correctly between now and then. Right now I think I have to have short term goals of a day at a time--right to my goal.
This starts the holiday season for me and I want the winning outcome at the end. I just figured out that I have not lost and kept off a pound since last Jan. 1st. I had lost 6 pounds, but have not kept them off. I am trying not to whine, and I am trying to stay OP and I am trying to lose weight, but I'm not doing it.
So--here I go again. I am learning what to do and make extraordinary progress at times, but I have huge eating challenges often and I'm getting tired of it. I've got to work out better plans and I've got to exercise. You all take care and keep on. I'm happy to read of your successes.
Judy'
234/thinner/199# by Christmas
Old 11-01-2001, 12:05 PM   #14  
Senior Tortoise

Lin, interesting method of handling banked points. Exercise really can make them climb pretty high. For me, I just look back over the past 7 days and add those together, and that gives me my banked points for the day. I find I haven't been using them much lately, though I expect to use a bunch tomorrow (I'll be eating out twice). Like you, I've been trying to keep myself from using more than 10 banked points in a day. It really does help.

Judy, I think we've all been in your shoes. Last year (2000) I ended the year exactly where I started it -- after having gained and lost the same 16 pounds during the year. I then stalled out pretty much the first half of this year, gained a few pounds toward spring and early summer. So there's a year and a half "wasted" -- except that it wasn't wasted, because I learned a lot from it. I learned what not to do (nibble on junk food that happens to be around, for starters; we had a ton of the stuff at work) and what *to* do (journal, journal, journal -- and did I mention journal?). I learned I HAVE to religiously keep my journal, or I'll start lying to myself and stall out, and then gain weight.

So what lessons are you learning right now about what obviously isn't working for you? What are your goals for today? And what *positive* thing have you done today that's related to your weight-loss journey? By focusing on the positives, maybe you can start building more confidence in yourself and thus more success.

What turned me around this past summer was setting that 199 goal for myself. I don't know why, but it really helped me get motivated, and it has pulled me through a lot of different temptations. As I've gotten thinner in the past couple of months, seeing how I'm starting to look and feel has added huge additional motivation.

Lin, you asked what my further goals are. I've been thinking a lot about those, since I'm obviously finding that setting goals motivates me. Here they are, at least right now:

1. My first goal is, of course, 199 by Christmas.
2. My second goal is to get out of the 190s by early March. I'd like to put some distance between me and the 200s! Along with this, I hope to be comfortably in non-plus sizes by then. (I can wear them now, but I prefer my clothes to be looser.)
3. My third goal is to be 174 or lower by the first official day of summer, which is June 21 or 22, I think. The reason I've picked that number is that once I hit 174, I'll statistically no longer be considered obese! I'll be very happy once I'm finally just overweight.
4. I'm not sure what the fourth goal is yet; it depends on how the others go. (160s by my birthday, which is in early August, maybe.) I anticipate that as I get thinner, it'll be harder to take the weight off. I doubt I will reach my stated WW goal of 145 by Christmas next year, though who knows.

And of course, in between, I'll have 5-pound goals along the way (199 then 194 then 189, etc.).

Non-weight goals for the coming year include:

1. To be able to jump a little when I exercise. I'd like to do a few of the dance moves I'm seeing in my videos, and right now I'm still not quite light enough.
2. Getting into non-plus sizes (as mentioned above). Eventually, I'd like to comfortably wear a medium. Maybe even in 2002.
3. To be able to hike, preferably even up hills or small mountains. I'd like to be in great shape by next fall so when we go to the Adirondacks again, I could hike up Gore mountain or take that 10-mile walk we had to skip this year.
4. To get my cholesterol down to normal, healthy levels (it was 240 when I weighed 268; don't know what it is now).
5. To manage my weight such that I never again gain more than 4 pounds at any time of the month. This is the biggest goal for me, really. This is the lifelong goal -- to never let my weight get out of hand again.

So that's what I'm thinking right now. I guess I've gone on long enough for one day!

Onward and downward,

Lauren
279/209.6/199 by Christmas (WW scales, evening)
Old 11-01-2001, 12:57 PM   #15  
Senior Tortoise

I just found this quotation over on Dotti's, and it made me think of us and of your struggles right now, Judy --

"High achievement always takes place in the framework of high expectation."--Jack Kinder

When we expect to succeed, we usually do. When we expect to fail, we usually do. When we perceive that we're doing nothing but failing, well, we expect to continue to fail! That's why it's SO important to focus right now on what we're doing RIGHT, and where we're successful. So Judy, try that little exercise. Each day this week, write down something that you did RIGHT. Start to trust yourself again.

--Lauren
Closed Thread