PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 02-15-2007, 05:40 PM   #1  

Default insulin ?

Well I had blood work done Monday and I cheated and picked up a copy of the blood work results. The Dr's appointment isn't until next week everything was normal except on my insulin tolerance test the baseline and 1 hour were normal range but the 2 hour was high. Does anyone know what that means I know I should not worry till the Dr's appointment but I'm curious. The glucose tolerance was normal though. So can your insulin be high but not your blood sugar? Thanks for any help.

Last edited by 2muchbackend; 02-15-2007 at 05:56 PM.
2muchbackend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 07:36 PM   #2  
fighting the sugar demon!

S/C/G: 281/263.9/190

Height: 5'8.5

Hi Carrie.

In my own personal experience, my insulin is high but my blood sugars are normal. My a1c and my GTT all came back normal levels of glucose. The higher level of insulin for me is from my insulin resistance. My insulin leve is always high though...irregardless of the amount of glucose in my system or the food that I am processing.

Whether or not, that peak of insulin on your test is in indicative of insulin resistance I am not sure...it could just be a normal reaction of your body to trying to control the glucola. So...wait for your dr to explain it because labs have different levels that they consider normal etc. Your dr will be able to tell you the actual results. If you have your results though...you may be able to call the nurse and ask about it even though your appt is next week. Otherwise, put it away and pretend you didn't see it.
irisheyes213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 11:14 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 186/132

Height: 5'6

Hi Carrie,
Your bloodwork seems indicative of insulin resistance. If you have PCOS this is an inherent component of the disorder. Insulin sensitizers such as Metformin can be helpful in reducing this problem.
Insulin resistance is a frustrating issue because it can impair weight loss especially in the midsection. You can reduce insulin resistance by:
1. exercising regularly - even 30 mins a day can help
2. lower carb diets (not no carb diets) - esp low refined carb diets
3. insulin sensitizers (metformin)
4. weight loss - even 5%
But even any of 1,2,3 can help independently of weight loss.
Don't worry about this result. Its nothing serious. You don't have diabetes if you have normal sugars.
Just put it away and talk to your doc.
SportyChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 06:10 PM   #4  

Thanks so much I had my appt with the Dr. and I do have insulin resistance she is starting me on Glumetza a time released metformin. So hopefully I'll have some results.
2muchbackend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 02:53 AM   #5  
Working on new me in '07!

S/C/G: 293/293/253

Height: 5 foot!

Carrie -- I hope that things go well for you!!!
LookingForHope16 is offline   Reply With Quote