General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 05:12 PM   #1  
loving my beautiful self

Height: 5'5"

Wink Any nurses?

I don't believe I've seen a thread about this so I thought it would be interesting to find out if there are any nurses around 3FC?
Old 02-08-2007, 04:04 AM   #2  
Working to be an after!

S/C/G: 269/151.6/149

Height: 5'2''

I've been a nurse for three years. I work in a Newborn Intensive Care Unit. Love it!!!! It's the best job I've ever had!!!
Old 02-08-2007, 08:39 AM   #3  
One Day At A Time

S/C/G: 318/ticker/150

Funnily enough, I've not seen a thread about this either, but I see TONS of nurses around here. Hopefully we will all check in and get a head count.

I work as a nurse on 7p-7a dialysis/diabetic ed med-surg floor. I used to love it, well, I still do, but our unit is going through some petty high school-ish drama and some of us can barely stand going in anymore. My patients are "interesting" though. I have to be in charge most of the time, but I don't mind that much. I've been there for about 9 years. I was a nurse aide before that.

I love what nursing can take you to....if I was truly unhappy, I could do a total 180 and go to some other specialty, or something COMPLETELY different. I often dream of going into hospice nursing. If we had an inpatient hospice around here, I would probably consider going there. Not so into home health, I like having my coworkers around me.

Maybe we would consider starting a nurse thread under miscellaneous clubs?
Old 02-08-2007, 08:50 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

And me ... I've worked in the same very small rural hospital for 27 years. The variety is very satisfying. All in one day I can be assigned an ortho, rehab, palliative, geriatric, a new born, a surgical ... keeps you on your toes
I wouldn't thank you for home nursing either and psych would be the worst!
Old 02-08-2007, 09:58 AM   #5  

School nurse here!! I work in a small elementary school with about 250 kids. I've been here 7 years. Next year, I will be moving to a newly built school that will replace this one and will have approx 900+ kids!! I'm somewhat ambivalent about it as I went here to the small school myself and parts of it are 100 years old, BUT I'm going to a new school with a brand new clinic that I can set up to suit me!!
Old 02-08-2007, 10:09 AM   #6  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I worked 20 yrs. as an RN. My areas were ER, newborn nursery, Labor and Delivery, Recovery room, ICU and Med-surg. I did 6 months of Home Health and it just wasn't for me. I have noticed a lot of nurses on these boards. I'm now retired due to my disability, but I do miss nursing and know it was the right career path for me.
Old 02-08-2007, 02:30 PM   #7  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

My DD is taking her boards this Saturday. I hope she passes. She's already been offered a job with Stanford Children's Oncology. She worked there briefly for her student stuff and loved it.

Please keep your fingers crossed for her.

I admire everything that you people have to do. When my DH was dying, those ICU nurses were a Godsend. The amount of care and detail was astounding to me. Out of all the shifts, there was only 1 nurse who got on my nerves.

God bless you all. We need you.
Old 02-08-2007, 02:44 PM   #8  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

cbmare, I'm sure your DD will do great on the nursing boards. My step-daughter just took hers a couple weeks ago and passed. Good luck to your DD and know we do need a lot more good nurses in the world.
Old 02-09-2007, 04:01 PM   #9  
One Day At A Time

S/C/G: 318/ticker/150

OOOOH fingers crossed for mare's daughter!! I hope she passes her boards! Nowadays they can find out almost the same day whether they passed or not. I had to wait WEEKS and practically TACKLED the mailperson when he came by the house. I took 75 questions (the minimum) and passed. But I doubted it until the minute I got the actual news.

Peds Oncology, what a rewarding and heartbreaking specialty. Bless her for wanting to get into that. I have a lot of heart, but I don't know if I could do it.
Old 02-09-2007, 04:08 PM   #10  
Baby steps

S/C/G: 280/270/160

Height: 5'8"

I'm not a nurse, but I live with two of them.

My mommy and my step-aunt are both nurses. My mom's been an ER nurse for all of her 15 year career, and my step-aunt has 30 years experience in NICU/PICU and in hospice care.
Old 02-09-2007, 04:20 PM   #11  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Quote:
Originally Posted by NurseMichelle View Post
OOOOH fingers crossed for mare's daughter!! I hope she passes her boards! Nowadays they can find out almost the same day whether they passed or not. I had to wait WEEKS and practically TACKLED the mailperson when he came by the house. I took 75 questions (the minimum) and passed. But I doubted it until the minute I got the actual news.

Peds Oncology, what a rewarding and heartbreaking specialty. Bless her for wanting to get into that. I have a lot of heart, but I don't know if I could do it.
Thank you sooooo much! Part of her feels this week has been dragging because she takes the test on Saturday. Another part of her feels that the week is pushing her to it.

I couldn't do Peds Oncology either! I think she got the bug many years ago when she was recovering from an injury. She fell down a mountain at Bible camp. (shoulda sent her to a biker's camp. she'd have gotten drunk and not hurt when she fell down that mountain. on me!) Anyway, I got her a book by Erma Bombeck. I Wanna Grow Up! I Wanna Grow Hair! I Wanna go to Boise! She was hesitant at first then got deeply into it.

I'll either be jumping for joy or in here crying soon.
Old 02-09-2007, 04:40 PM   #12  
Am I a senior too?

S/C/G: 74/64.2/58

Height: 153cm

Default Not yet but hope to be soon

I'm not a nurse, but have been looking into the study. My DB can't understand when I tell him I want to make a difference in someones life. My Aunt was a nurse and my cousin was and is now a phsycologist. If accepted I start in July to do my Diploma to become an EN and when the last little one goes off to school I will complete Uni for a Bach of Nursing.

Good luck to all who have exams coming up. I hope you or your family get into the field you're after. I'd love to work with children, and the elderly, but not so sure about oncology I think my heart would break.
Old 02-09-2007, 06:10 PM   #13  

Student nurse here!
Graduate with BSN this May!
I CAN'T WAIT! Good god, I can't wait to get through all bs of nursing school! Its killing me!!!!!!! aaaaaahhhhh! LOL
I don't want to work in a hospital; I am most interested in community health.
Old 02-10-2007, 04:01 AM   #14  
Michelle on LAWL

Height: 5'0"

hi i'm a newbie.. started LAWL on feb 8. i'm a hospice RN .. graduated in June 2003 with my BSN. worked medical and palliative in hospital for a bit...did some home care and some immunizations (flu clinics and hep b). but i took a full time position in hospice in september of 2003. i worked as a care aide all through nursing school... mostly on the surgical ward in hospital. i also did home care with palliative patients as a care aide. hospice is where i'm most happy... love it and don't want to do anything else .. at least not right now.. lol.. maybe later on in my career i would consider something else like L&D .. but i'm quite happy right now.
Old 02-10-2007, 04:11 PM   #15  
Bikini Season :)

im a nurse too.

graduated in '03. did a touch of med surg and moved into icu. i work icu and pediatric hospice right now.
Closed Thread