Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 02-07-2007, 02:53 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 198/198/178

Height: 5'6"

Default Breakfast Suggestions

Hi All!!
Does anyone have any good suggestions for breakfast food? I just feel sick and tired of most "breakfast foods". Over done on yogurt and granola. Like to safe eggs for weekend brunch, can only handle so much cereal and soy milk...*sigh*
I'm sure like most people, I need something easy and fast in the morning-and I find if I don't eat breakfast, I'm kind of hooped for the whole day.
Thoughts?
thanks!!!
keeponkeepingon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 10:02 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

These are my staples:

egg whites + 1 Morning Star Farm "sausage" patty
egg whites + 1 cup berries or 1/2 grapefruit
oatmeal
raisin bran with skim milk
egg white burrito (ww tortilla, egg whites, Morning Star Farms crumbles, ff or lf cheese, salsa)
Fage yogurt with 1/2 c frozen banana and a little milk to make it drinkable
ww toast with 1 T peanut butter
fruit salad (usually just berries--with or without a little yogurt and sometimes I throw in a little granola for some crunch)

If I'm really hungry, and I'm making a bagel for DS, I'll eat 1/4 of it! That usually curbs my carb craving!!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 10:13 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I love to take a whole wheat tortilla and spread it with natural peanut butter. Then, I nuke it for 30 seconds (until it gets warm and the peanut butter gets melty). I wrap the tortilla around a big, ripe banana - heaven. I've also done a variation where I make a breakfast quesadilla with peanut butter and banana.

My other two favorite breakfasts:

1. 2 pieces of whole grain toast with natural peanut butter (or sometimes I use all fruit jam on one piece)
2. Oatmeal (made with water), 1/4 cup dried blueberries, 1/4 cup walnuts
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 11:03 AM   #4  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I have been alternating my breakfasts with : Oats and a banana, cold cereal and a banana, or 2 whole wheat pancakes.

I like Glory's breakfast idea, especially the peanut butter, banana and whole wheat tortilla. I'm going to try this today.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 01:07 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 114/107/105

Height: 5'2

Depending on what you're doing with your diet (like not eating any processed foods), I found out that Eggo and Special K came together to make a 99% fat free waffle. Each waffle is only 60 calories each. I usually spread some sugar free jam on mine, one tbsp is only ten calories, and have two waffles, some jam, and a minute maid light for breakfast. Fills me up, its quick, and sort of gives me a break from oatmeal, yogurt, or egg whites....which I love, but definitely get sick of.
paperdollme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 05:51 PM   #6  

I always try to combine protein and carbs since the combo keeps me feeling full longer. I usually have ff or rf plain yogurt with some diced fruit, like apple or pear or banana. Sometimes I even add a few sliced almonds for good fat. Then I finish up with a whole grain muffin or piece of toast. I always have a batch of Southaven Farm muffins in my freezer (if you want to see, www.southavenfarm.com).

My other favorite is steel cut oats with a little almond or peanut butter mixed in with cinnamon. It doesn't keep me as satisfied though.
ChadsMate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 07:10 PM   #7  

Default Breakfest Suggestions

I like to get dark sweet cherries in the frozen food section, put a little Splenda and granola on them. I make it up the night before and then I can grab it on my way out the door in the morning. You can also use blueberries but they do get stuck in your teeth so I use blueberries on the weekend.

Also, I am addicted to muffins in the moring and Weight Watchers makes a great blueberry muffin.
Kimberlee18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 07:49 PM   #8  

S/C/G: S:157/C:121/G:125

Height: 5'4"

Leftovers? I like breakfast, so I don't do it, but I know that some people eat dinner leftovers for breakfast. You could eat "lunch food" for breakfast, too. Many people around the world eat foods for breakfast that are very similar to what they eat for dinner. If you don't like breakfast foods, and you like lunch or dinner, eat that type of food instead! Leftovers, sandwiches, soup, chicken...just a few suggestions.
Tara D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 07:56 PM   #9  
Token Rooster? ;)

S/C/G: 185/138/~135 to maintain

Height: 5' 6"

I pretty much am fine with cereal + milk / oatmeal + water for breakfast, switching between 2 varieties of each to keep it interesting, occasionally if I'm not feeling that hungry I'll just have fruit (and usually a more substantial snack or bigger lunch afterwards).
AquaWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 09:41 PM   #10  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

I go pretty big on breakfast although I used to not do much breakfast. I slowly trained myself to eat more breakfast and it is helping me eat less later.

I eat an eggbeater omelet with lowfat cheese and a bunch of veggies and sometimes ham. I dice large amounts of lots of veggies and keep them in the freezer so I pull out whatever kind sounds good that day and saute them and then make my omelet.

And then I ALSO have plain oatmeal (sometimes with flaxseed) with just a tiny bit of milk and honey

If I really have no appetite I have 1 slice ezekiel bread with 1T almond butter and a glass of milk
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 09:46 PM   #11  

S/C/G: S:157/C:121/G:125

Height: 5'4"

BTW, I do cream of wheat every morning...I've done it for the last 2 years or so...I love the stuff. I just pop it in the microwave with milk, and stir intermittently...Voila! Yum! Definitely satisfying.
Tara D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 12:29 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 198/198/178

Height: 5'6"

thanks all for those great suggestions. I think it will take me awhile to get into the habit of eating enough at breaky to keep me going...I had totally forgotten about the breakfast burrito-a personal fave, so thanks for the suggestion.
I also always forget about bananas
BTW-in all the mention of Peanut Butter, I thought I would just mention, since we can't have nuts of any kind in the house (partner is VERY allergic), we found a great "NoNuts" Butter, so yummy!
keeponkeepingon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 09:32 AM   #13  
Recovering Shopaholic

S/C/G: See tickers for latest!

Height: 5'3"

This is my standard/fave breakfast:

Thomas Multigrain Light English Muffin (100 cals., 1.5 g. fat, 8 g. fiber!)
.25 c. egg beaters (30 cal, 0 fat)
.5 slice lowfat american cheese (like Kraft 2% Cheese)(25 cal, 1.5 g. fat)
2 pcs. thin sliced ham (I buy the Hilshire Farms in the reusable container - 2 slices is around 20-25 calories)

Toast the english muffin. In a small skillet, spray non-stick cooking spray. Pour in eggbeaters, allow to cook, flip. Put in half slice of cheese, fold over and push aside. Add the 2 pcs. ham to the pan, brown on both sides. Put eggs/cheese and ham on the english muffin and eat! Less than 200 calories, yummy and filling! Can easily be prepared in under 5 minutes when you get the hang of it. I eat this 4 - 5 times per week! lol

Kelly
HandbagAficionado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 02:11 PM   #14  
Token Rooster? ;)

S/C/G: 185/138/~135 to maintain

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeponkeepingon View Post
I had totally forgotten about the breakfast burrito-a personal fave, so thanks for the suggestion.
If you like breakfast burritos, Kraft/South Beach Diet makes several kinds of whole-wheat breakfast wraps (in freezer aisle) that are delicious, quick to fix (~ 2 mins. in microwave), and fairly healthful (or at least manageable calorie-wise, they're about 200 each).
AquaWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 02:46 PM   #15  
This is the year!

S/C/G: 235/235/160

Height: 5'8"

If you are in a real rush one day, Jimmy Dean makes a new Whole Grain Muffin sandwich with egg whites and low-fat cheese. I know that it is only 4.5g fat (not bad for a breakfast sandwich) and maybe 250 calories.

I can only find these sandwiches at Sam's for some reason.
nikkimac76 is offline   Reply With Quote