Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 02-05-2007, 09:47 PM   #1  
loving my beautiful self

Height: 5'5"

Default Counselling - how to go about finding it?

1) Okay, I guess this is another thread. I've been wondering for a long time now how one goes about finding a counsellor/therapist, especially someone with whom you feel safe, comfortable, and just a good match, if you know what I mean?

2) Secondly, how do you finance it? I don't have the money to pay privately for counselling and I don't have any insurance. This is in Canada by the way. Once I graduate and begin to work, however, I am hoping that will mean I will be able to afford it or will it even be covered by insurance?

3) And how often in general can you expect to see a therapist, is there some sort of standard? like once a week, once every two weeks?

Last edited by beautifulone; 02-05-2007 at 09:53 PM.
beautifulone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 10:23 PM   #2  
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

Okay, I have no idea about financing......I am located in the US and my parents are very gracious enough to pay for my health costs.

As for finding an ed therapist...... i am going to advise you to visit the mayo clinic's website. they have a good section on there for ed and have links that lead to other ed sites and from there you can find some names.
That's how I found my therapist.

I actually meet with her 2 times a week......(wow! I must be really screwed up lol! ). and i am going to start meeting with a nutritionist that she works with so that all is a coordinated effort.

I am going to state this publicly and not pm it because I hope that others can benefit from any info that I can relay that might be of help/use.
shrinkingchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 10:40 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 218/207/155

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by beautifulone View Post
1) Okay, I guess this is another thread. I've been wondering for a long time now how one goes about finding a counsellor/therapist, especially someone with whom you feel safe, comfortable, and just a good match, if you know what I mean?

2) Secondly, how do you finance it? I don't have the money to pay privately for counselling and I don't have any insurance. This is in Canada by the way. Once I graduate and begin to work, however, I am hoping that will mean I will be able to afford it or will it even be covered by insurance?

3) And how often in general can you expect to see a therapist, is there some sort of standard? like once a week, once every two weeks?
1)There are alot of online resourses (US wise, not sure about Canada) that will list specifically eating disorder type therapists and counselors in your paticular area. I personally found mine via a referral through my insurance.

2)I'm completely covered through insurance. Im authorized up to 2 visits a week, but only go once a week.

3)It really depends on how your initial visits go, the person you talk to - whether a therapist, counselor, psychiatrist, etc - will determine how often you should come in and see them, and then as time goes on according to your progress, from my experience, they'll drop you down to less days and what not.

It's been wonderful for me, I wish you the best, and definitely dont settle for someone you don't feel comfortable with. Keep it moving until YOU feel right.
mammasita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 11:13 PM   #4  

I actually worked for a few years at a teaching clinic -- psychology/psychiatry, where students were 1 year away from their degree (psychiatrists were already MD's) but patient's were seen on a sliding fee scale, based on their income, some paid nothing. Maybe you could locate a college/hosptial around you with the same type of program. And, if you find someone you are not comfortable with, please try another doctor -- it should be a "perfect fit" so that you are comfortable with them.
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 05:06 PM   #5  
loving my beautiful self

Height: 5'5"

Thanks, I will keep what you each said in mind

Charlotte, I couldn't find therapist listings on the mayo website, but I found some really cool work-out videos (which reinforced what one of the trainers at the gym told me but I can watch these as often as needed!). That site is interesting, so thanks!
beautifulone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 08:48 PM   #6  

I have entered a therapy group called cognative behavior therapy. It cost $500 for 20 weeks of group therapy. It specifically address people with eating disorders (mine is binging and restricting). Being part of this group has really opened my eyes to how my eating is sooo emotional. I am rarely hungry when I eat. I feel anxious all the time and to ease that feeling I eat. $500 was really hard for me to pay, my insurance doesn't cover anything realted to weight loss. I worked out a payment plan and they let me pay over the 20 weeks. Try checking with a hospital in your area. My group is operated by a hospital. My biggest hurdle to to try to figure out how not to eat when I get stressed because I have a high stress job. I'm trying different things, so far I haven't found it but I'm determined to find what will work for me.
Good luck
trying2hard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 06:34 PM   #7  
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

Hey! Check out this site http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.o...WebPage_ID=337 they have treatment referrals.
shrinkingchica is offline   Reply With Quote