Old 02-01-2007, 11:46 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 114/107/105

Height: 5'2

Default Accurately measuring peanut butter

Alright ladies! I have a seemingly silly question. But how do you guys accurately measure your peanut butter? I've found that its more doable in my head to split the serving of PB (2 TBSP) into 4ths, so a teaspoon and a half each time. Do you guys just use your tbsp measurements and level it off with a knife? This morning when I was spreading my PB on my english muffin, it seemed like my teaspoon and a half was actually quite generous. It is just because I'm measuring wrong?

Thanks, I know this seems silly, but PB is such a trigger food for me, and I get a little freaked out when I see that a serving is 190 calories and 16 grams of fat. BUt I can't live without it! I just want to make sure my portion that ive divided is correct.
paperdollme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 01:14 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Yes-as you stated, just level it off with a knife.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 01:20 PM   #3  

Thanks Aphil-
Funny how when you start to calorie count, you want everything "just so". Thanks again.
Old 02-01-2007, 01:38 PM   #4  

Or you could weigh it.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 02:45 PM   #5  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

When you level it off with the knife, try not to actually eat what remains on the knife. That could get you into trouble, calorie wise.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 03:09 PM   #6  
Meg

You can buy a set of measuring spoons with a teaspoon and a half measure. My tablespoon of PB always looks so tiny to me when I measure it out, so I can't imagine how small half of that would be.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 03:14 PM   #7  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
When you level it off with the knife, try not to actually eat what remains on the knife. That could get you into trouble, calorie wise.

Falling into the jar is also frowned upon in calorie counting circles....but it's not unheard of.
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 04:05 PM   #8  

Haha! You guys make me laugh...yeah I'm trying to avoid that whole, head first into the jar thing. Seems like I'm less likely to do it if I know I was accurate, and diligent. No licking the knife! Check!
Old 02-01-2007, 06:23 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 180.5/157.5/145

The only way I can really, accurately measure peanut butter is to leave it all in the jar on the shelf at the grocery store. For me, serving size = 1 jar.
kateful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 01:18 AM   #10  

I have decided to just leave it in the shelf too, I just can't do it. I start with all good intentions, I put it in the TBS, level it off with the knife....somehow mysteriously my tounge ends up on the knife...and sometimes the knife finds its way back in the jar for just another 'little' taste....oh I just can't do it. I don't know what it is about that stuff, I just can't control myself.
ThisTimeIsMyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 07:16 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 100kg/ticker/65kg

Height: 170cm

Hi! I was thinking about starting a calorie/kilojoule controlled diet, but I didn't realise that it comes down to measuring you rpeanut butter! Hats off to you ladies, I don't think I have that much patience!

Kylie
Elerine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 11:28 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 209/199/145

Height: 5'6

I'm glad I'm not the only one with PB issues! When I was doing Atkins a few months ago, I lost control one afternoon and found myself sitting down with a jar of PB and a spoon. The only thing that kept me from eating the entire jar is the fact that it was only half full to begin with! But man, was it good.
magnoliafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 12:17 PM   #13  

I sort of guesstimate it most of the time.

I use an old trick from my grandmother. She would show the kids how she was putting the (expensive!) butter on thick. Then she would turn so they could not really see and pass the knive over it, scraping a lot away again.

When done, you can see a lot of the bread still through the PB. It's for the taste, it doesn't feed me Plus -- I have found that I love saving calories, building that calorie deficit that I can snack with later on

If I really want to know though, I would weigh it. I do weigh my own home made bread for example. Weigh most warm foods as well. Salad and often veggies are less controlled.
MattChanged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 01:07 PM   #14  

Height: 5'6"

I have found the absolutely easiest way to get the correct portion size is to use my food scale. I set the knife on the scale and hit the tare button to zero it out. Then I dig into the peanut butter. Then I weigh the knife and the PB. If I need a little more, I put a little more on the knife. If I took too much, I scrape some off into the peanut butter jar.

I hate trying to wash the measuring spoon after using it for peanut butter.

Kimberly
KimberlyinMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 02:53 PM   #15  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperdollme View Post
Alright ladies! I have a seemingly silly question. But how do you guys accurately measure your peanut butter? I've found that its more doable in my head to split the serving of PB (2 TBSP) into 4ths, so a teaspoon and a half each time. Do you guys just use your tbsp measurements and level it off with a knife? This morning when I was spreading my PB on my english muffin, it seemed like my teaspoon and a half was actually quite generous. It is just because I'm measuring wrong?

Thanks, I know this seems silly, but PB is such a trigger food for me, and I get a little freaked out when I see that a serving is 190 calories and 16 grams of fat. BUt I can't live without it! I just want to make sure my portion that ive divided is correct.
I put my bread on the scale and zero the scale, then spread my PB (well in my case Almond butter) on the toast and weigh it. (or celery or whatever)

My typical serving is 5/8 oz - thats just what I tend to scoop.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote