Old 01-28-2007, 10:15 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 188

Height: 5'2"

Default Hi! I'm a new fat chick and curious about LA weight loss

I've been doing weight watchers on and off for too many years and I'm looking for something different. I've been reading about LA Weight loss and a lot of the reviews I have read say it's a rip off and too expensive. I also haven't been able to find much on how the program works.

Any comments good ror bad would be appreciated. Thanks!

Jes
Martini79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 10:47 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 225/214/160

Height: 5'6"

I joined in Sept...Yes iut us expensive...but we have already paid for one year of maintenence....that is key for me....committment...and this forum really helps....nance
Bajachick3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 12:45 AM   #3  
LAWL Salt Police

I too was skeptical at first.. But I'm 50 lbs down since September and my wife is more than 20, so it works!!

The stores will try to sell you stuff like suppliments and protein bars.. Some here have them (like me) and some don't (like many others).. Good or bad, whatever I'm doing is working..

The key is to commit.. If you don't stick to it from day one, it won't work for you...

Nance is right that this forum is a GREAT help in keeping your focus..
Dan2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 05:14 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 199/191/179

Height: 5' 5-1/2"

The downfall is that you have to prepay. However if you do a breakdown and compare the WEEKLY cost, it will be just as cheap, if not cheaper than WW IF you don't do the bars. And you can succeed without the bars (LA Lites).

The difference, that I've found, was that LAWL is a lifestyle change. When I tried doing WW, I was spending alot of my points on junk food. I always managed to find a way to fit cookies or something into my plan.

I enjoy this program, and am having better success with it than when I was on WW, but that's just MY personal experience.

Your best bet would be to go into a center, and see for yourself. in your decision!!
dolphn545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 08:10 AM   #5  
Kristen-LAWL

S/C/G: 251/215/155

Height: 5 8 1/2"

I too have done WW but did not have the same success when they switched to the points program. When I joined LAWL in September the weekly fee at my centre in Canada was $11.99 a week and WW was $15.00 a week. The only difference was that I prepaid which kept me much more accountable. On WW when my coupons would run out I'd be more apt to skip a week or two before going again especially if I had gained.
With LAWL you weigh in 3 times a week and that is the biggest difference in the program.. for me on WW my meetings used to be on Saturday mornings so I would tend to go hog wild spending my points on Saturday night/Sunday as I knew I had a week before my next weigh in!
KrispieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 10:56 AM   #6  
Kate - LAWL since 10/06

S/C/G: 211.0/154.2/130.0

Height: 5'1"

The plan is expensive, because you are paying up front. However, that is what motivates me. I don't want to waste all the $ I have put in. The plan does work, and I think you will find that feeling healthy will far outweigh the money you have to pay. Good luck to you!!!
katiebug77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 11:55 AM   #7  

It's a great program, but prepare yourself for an aggressive sales push. These people are paid on commission and are working hard to earn it. Don't feel bad saying no to the bars or supplements if they don't work for you. The all-food program is great, easy to follow, and you will eat a TON of food. Good luck!
stiesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 01:09 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 224/189/130

Height: 5'5"

Hi, and welcome I am relatively new myself, been on LAWL for two weeks. My humble opinion so far is that the LAWL program is great! I am on the food only plan as money was a big influence for me - I am getting married soon and couldn't afford the bars. So far I have lost 8 pounds.

The program breaks down for you how many servings of each food group you can have. I have tried calorie counting and find this easier for me. It kind of reminds me of the diet they put my dad on when he was diagnosed as being diabetic. You get a food diary, and everything you put in your mouth gets marked down. I find having to keep the diary (and knowing someone else will be reading it) and being weighed three times a week really keeps me accountable.

I had researched and heard the negativity about the sales pitch before I went for me free consultation. I was upfront and told them that I had researched the program, understood they offered the LA lites and supplements to aid in the weight loss, but I could not afford it and would prefer to just do the basic meal plan. They signed me up and the COD staff have been very pleasant and helpful. Two weeks in I do not regret joining in the slightest.

This website I have found is also a great weight loss aid. You can get helpful information, answers, recipe's, etc. A great way to connect to other people who are going through the same things you are. Truly awesome!!
Pastrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 01:15 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 228 in 2006/185/160

Height: 5'4"

Is it expensive? The way I look at it is this...what health problems is my weight going to cause me? Diabetes medication, high blood pressure medication, cholesterol medication every month for the rest of my life, however long I am lucky enough to make it at this weight? I think my health is worth every cent that I've spent :-)
MomOfThreeTeens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 04:34 PM   #10  
Megan

S/C/G: size 14/ pudgy size 10/Size 8

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphn545 View Post
The difference, that I've found, was that LAWL is a lifestyle change. When I tried doing WW, I was spending alot of my points on junk food. I always
I had the same exact problem with WW! I would eat non-stop vegetables and then save my points so I could have 1/4 pound of gummy bears daily.

Now, I've given up the sugar, and while I have become quite adept at being stuck at the same weight, I do feel 80% better. It's all about doing what you find is best for yourself.
marzbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 05:08 PM   #11  
LAWL Salt Police

A lot of the program centers around losing the salt from your diet, as well as the sugar..

As a confirmed Salt-a-holic, I was concerned at first, but have really been able to suppliment it with salt aternatives and a wide range of spices..

The amazing thing was going to the store and instead of focusing on calories and fat, zeroing in on how much sodium foods contain.. It's really eye opening.. Not to say we don't focus on calories and fat, but the sodium is really a big deal..

And the best part is that I can still have pizza, beer and fried chicken.. Oh wait.. No.. scratch that last one!
Old 01-29-2007, 07:54 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 188

Height: 5'2"

Thanks for all the replies! It's helped a lot. The only question I have now is - how does the food work? Do they give you a menu and recipes? I'm not good about meking foods without a recipe. Thanks.
Martini79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 09:52 PM   #13  
LAWL Salt Police

Oh yeah.. The menu guides and cookbook have all kinds of ideas and suggestions that keep you on track.. Most all of the recipies I've tried in the cookbook have been fantastic.. Also, at the top of our forum here are several menu threads of tried and tested LAWL friendly recipies.

I advise doing a lot of the dishes, or you'll get bored with the routine.. It's a very easy lifestyle change once you get the swing of it!
Old 01-30-2007, 05:26 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 199/191/179

Height: 5' 5-1/2"

I agree with Dan. Take advantage of the recipes at the top links of this forum.
I had to pay for my cookbook. From my understanding some centers were giving theirs away when you signed up. But, there are plenty of ideas in there as well.
dolphn545 is offline   Reply With Quote