Old 01-27-2007, 11:41 AM   #1  

Thumbs up Spinning!

Hi everyone,

I just started to take spin class.. it's like the fat melts off your body because it makes you sweat so much. I'm sure I will have better results after I start taking it more than once a week but I already feel great. Anyone else take spin?

I would highly recommend it if you are considering it, but bring a towel!
DaisyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 12:13 PM   #2  
Pending Email Confirmation

I haven't tried any of the classes available at my gym yet. A little scared I'm TOO fat to try them... I want to be able to keep up.
I have heard it is really very intense. I wonder if there's a way to get the benefits of a spinning class without having to actually go to one. I'd try it on the bike at home... I'm such a chicken.
lizziness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 12:28 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 185/168/150

Height: 5'8

Spinning is great! Lizziness don't worry about keeping up,you control the tension on your bike so no one knows what you are doing anyway.Sometimes if I feel a little burned out I keep my tension on low,it is no big deal.I can burn 700 calorieds in a one hour class and wish I had time to do more than one class a week.I always say try anything once you have nothing to lose.I did buy a gel seat for my bike though cause those seats are hard.
fitbyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 01:00 PM   #4  
I £øve ®ºcK MüZïk

S/C/G: 262/198/160

Height: 5'7"

When we joined the YMCA, the guy that signed us up was telling us about that class. It does sound kind of hard, and he also said the seats take a bit of time to get used to. I might just take my bike gel seat like you suggested if I 'do' try it. Which I might not for quite awhile. When they do have the class I am not able to go there.
muzikjunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 02:31 PM   #5  
Pending Email Confirmation

that doesn't sound so bad, plus 700 calories for one work out. WOW!

i have tried a couple of different bikes at the gym and i either can't adjust it right because my legs are so short or my poor crotch goes numb after 10 minutes and that is just unpleasant. a lot.

I think I'll look into it. Thanks!
lizziness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 08:41 PM   #6  
Bida Bida Bida

Height: 5'6''

I love spinning - I haven't started taking it again this year because the schedule at my gym doesn't go so well with my new schedule - sad sad - so I'm looking for another gym maybe to start going to - but it is great - I used to do it 2xs a week. I gotta get back into excersizing!
bida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 07:47 PM   #7  

Lizziness, don't worry about not being able to keep up. Everyone goes at their own pace and as fitbyforty mentioned, you can control the resistance on your bike (I'll admit mine is not very high :P) AND did I mention that they turn the lights off so you are in relative darkness? I definitely don't keep up 100% but as long as you put the effort in, you burn ALOT and each time you spin, you get better. I hope to up my spin classes to 2x a week as soon my work schedule clears up a little bit.

Anyway, I completely agree with everyone about the gel seats. I bought a cheap one at target for $10 bucks, my butt is not sore this time .. it doesn't make it a cushy seat but it definitely takes the edge off.

Hope you all try spin (or continue) - it's definitely a good way to burn that fat.
DaisyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 08:04 PM   #8  
here I go again...

lizziness- I would suggest going to a spin class and showing up a few minutes early. Most instructors are more than happy to help you adjust your bike for your height for a proper ride.

I absolutely LOVE spinning... I started with a beginner's class at the gym and got hooked. Another suggestion if you do love it (give it at least two weeks to get used to being in the saddle, I promise the pain goes away!) is getting spinning shoes with the clips that snap into the pedals. They keep your feet/ankles more stable and you're able to ride more comfortably.

Give it a try!!!
illinichick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 11:19 PM   #9  
Bida Bida Bida

Height: 5'6''

also - it really depends on how good the teacher is - how fun they make it - and what music they choose - the more fun the music - the more fun you will have and the harder you will work out!
bida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 11:57 PM   #10  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

I've said it before and I will say it again...

Spinners are a special kind of crazy!

But yes, it does melt the fat right off of ya! I really do admire anyone that does it, especially on a regular basis.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote