Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 11:50 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Default Do you check out other posters to see if their contribution is

noteworthy ... appropriate ... applicable ... and so on?
Old 01-26-2007, 11:54 AM   #2  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I think that as individuals that we all have something to contribute. We learn from each other. We won't always agree on everything. If we did, this would be pretty boring. I don't check other posters stats to determine if I feel their contribution is worthwhile. IMHO, it doesn't matter if it's someone that has yrs. of maintenance successfully completed or someone brand new. We're all here hopefully for the same purpose of becoming healthier.

Last edited by lilybelle; 01-26-2007 at 12:06 PM.
Old 01-26-2007, 12:08 PM   #3  

I read just about everything on 3FC. If a suggestion is totally off the wall, I'll go check out who's talking.
Although, since the site is getting so big, I do tend to gravitate toward folks who are doing what I do ... more or less.
Old 01-26-2007, 12:44 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

There are certain posters who I really, really respect. There are others that I don't know as well, probably because I don't "hang out" in the same areas as they do. I try to respect what everyone has to say, and I try to be as objective as possible when responding to a post. And I agree that there are many, many opinions here on this board and that is what makes it interesting. Take for example the current thread about bad movies--what one person dislikes another loves. We're all individuals and as such we should respect each other's individualism.
Old 01-26-2007, 01:13 PM   #5  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Hmmm, not quite sure what you mean by this. I do usually read every post in a thread before posting my own response. I don't want to repeat what someone else has said (sometimes I refrain from posting because it doesn't seem like I would add anything and sometimes I go ahead a repeat what others have said anyway ). I'm usually interested in what others have to say. There are a few posters that I don't respect quite as much as most, but really not very many. This forum has really been a fantastic resource for me. I'm quote it to others all the time. Some question about weight loss or exercise will come up and I find myself saying "I participate in a discussion forum on weight loss and the folks there say that..."

I don't really follow other posters through the forum or use the "find other posts by this person" feature very much. I use it mainly to find my own posts and also if I am looking for something someone said. For example, I remember that SusanB posted a recipe for protein pancakes, so I might use it to browse through her posts looking for the protein pancake recipe. I do find that a lot of the same people show up in the threads that I am posting in and then sometimes I stumble onto a new area of the forum and discover that there are a whole group of people posting regularly that I've never heard of.
Old 01-26-2007, 01:33 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 230/125/125

Height: 5'4

I must say that I have a hard time following advice from someone if they don't have any crediblity. That being said, I know everyone has their own opinion, and are entitled to it. There have been threads that I've created where someone has commented on it and I don't necessarily take it into consideration, much less heart. So, I might not go so far as to look at other peoples profiles, previous posts etc. I do know who has been here for a while and who offers the most open minded advice....

Did that answer or was I just rambling??
Old 01-26-2007, 01:35 PM   #7  
Token Rooster? ;)

S/C/G: 185/138/~135 to maintain

Height: 5' 6"

I'm a bit unclear by what you mean by this question as well - but I rarely check out other's stats/profiles unless they seem to be spamming (and have very few other posts) or advocating very unhealthful weight loss practices.
Old 01-26-2007, 02:09 PM   #8  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

I'm not sure what you mean, either.

Are you looking for someone who totally agrees with you all the time? I don't think that will happen here.

There are some posts here where I can contribute nothing because of my lack of knowledge about what they want. There are others who ask for advice and then blast people when they don't hear what they want to hear. I've posted asking for help and felt some of the responses rude, but the non-rude responses I received aided me in making a decision even though I wasn't heading that way. They pointed out some things that made me change my mind.

Many people have things to contribute that aren't always what we want to hear but their contribution is usually from their heart or experience.
Old 01-26-2007, 03:07 PM   #9  
LLV

I don't quite understand the question either, but I'll go with what lilybelle said.
Old 01-26-2007, 03:36 PM   #10  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

I think I know why SusanB is asking this. On another thread, someone posted a reply saying, more or less, "Hey, you give good advice, but you were never really 'fat.'" And I think that brought up the issue of, when you read what someone says, do you check out their statistics to see whether they have "credibility" in that way?

For awhile I didn't have a ticker or even list my S/C/G numbers because I didn't want people to decide whether what I said was good based on those numbers. I've been up and down in the many months since I started visiting this site. Of course, I always notice when someone weighs less than I do--some Chicks' start weight is less than my goal weight! But so what.

I think the last thing we need to do here is start judging who's really "fat" and who isn't. Just doesn't go anywhere.

Jay
P.S. I always enjoy your posts, SusanB.
Old 01-26-2007, 03:41 PM   #11  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

Chalk me up to another who isn't quite sure what you mean...

But I do read others' posts & respond as well as I can. I know I'm not perfect, but I feel I definitely have some advice/comments/zippy remark to make that does make a difference to some.

As far as "weight topics" go - which let's face it... there's PLENTY of'm here! I may not have a lot of credibility right now, as I am on the upper end of the scale. However, my biggest problem is MAINTAINING the weight I lose. I've already proven to myself that I CAN LOSE THE WEIGHT - after all, I've done it 5 times & I'm on my 6th go'round. So I'm hoping that by tweaking this or changing that, I'll lose the weight THIS TIME.... FOR GOOD.

I learn a lot from people here. I enjoy it here & I like that I can come & share my frustrations, as well as my joys, and I get plenty of "understanding".

Sometimes I get a little frustrated with certain people who don't seem to do ANY study/research, but just go by "what people tell them" or what "somebody else did to lose weight" etc. I don't need everyone to agree with me, but I do think it's incredibly important to understand that OUR BODIES are all different. We may have the same parts & the same struggles, but what works for Sue may not necessarily work for Jane, & so forth.

I think it's important to keep trying - and important to learn to change if something is not working for you. But most important, we all need someone to lean on from time to time... and I don 't know bout the rest of yuns, but THAT is why I'm here!
Old 01-26-2007, 03:43 PM   #12  
Coldblooded Thread Killa

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanB View Post
I do tend to gravitate toward folks who are doing what I do ... more or less.
Ditto.
Old 01-26-2007, 04:04 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

I'll confess that I may pay a tiny bit more attention to some posters than others, for various reasons. I love that we're all different and that we're all supportive of each other, but I do feel like people whose stats are somewhat similar to mine will understand what I'm going through more than someone who, say, only has 20 pounds to lose. I'm not saying that person's goals aren't just as important as mine, but being 110 pounds overweight, as I was at the beginning, is very different from having 20 pounds to lose. So we have different things to talk about, but we have some stuff in common too. It's all good.
Old 01-26-2007, 04:09 PM   #14  

JayEll is right.
However, I really was interested to see if folks look to the root of a suggestion.
An example might be someone who says they never exercise ... kudos if that works but I'm gonna go see ... probably just in their profile.
Old 01-26-2007, 04:19 PM   #15  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanB View Post
JayEll is right.
However, I really was interested to see if folks look to the root of a suggestion.
An example might be someone who says they never exercise ... kudos if that works but I'm gonna go see ... probably just in their profile.
Well usually you can tell by their ticker. But I know what you mean, not everyone has a ticker.

I've never looked any anyone's profile.
Closed Thread