Closed Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 08:29 AM   #1  

Default Vegetarianism and WW

Hi
I wanna start going to WW meetings ...
but my girlfriend , which is vegetarian , claims that the points is really limiting the vegetarians...
Therefore , she thinks that it would be a problem cos we won't have anything in common to cook together....

Is it true ?
Is there a good solution for vegetarians who wanna go by the WW points system ?

Thanks....
Old 01-26-2007, 09:02 AM   #2  
Cowboy Up Chick

There are thousands and thousands of vegetarian W/W. W/W official site even has a couple of sections devoted to that.

What is it she thinks is limiting?

W/W even made the move to include soy milk as a dairy serving this year to help the vegetarians make the move toward getting in those nutritional requirements.

There really isn't that much different in what a person should eat between being a vegetarian and (for lack of a better term) normal eater.

Proteins - both groups need this and protein doesn't just come from meats, soy proteins, legumes, eggs (provided she is one that eats them) as well as meats

Complex carbs - no different for either group

Healthy oils - haven't heard a vegetarain who found a problem with them

Dairy - while some vegetarains don't do milk, cheese, etc. W/W now expanded it to include Soy Milk (and I also believe check with your leader to be sure soy cheese)

Fruits and Veggies - obviously no problem there

Limit sweets and alcohols...

I have the TurnAround Book from last year (and this information can be provided at a meeting if she asks for it) It has a Nutrients at Risk for Vegetarins and how to get them in. In the Week 1 booklet from that it begins on page 12 if you have it (or e-mail me at [email protected] with a snail mail address and I'll make a copy of that page and send it to you).

So I don't see any problem. If you are a meat eater basically you just cook your meat in another pan. LOL
Old 01-26-2007, 05:22 PM   #3  

Kelly-the "better term" you felt was lacking is "omnivore"--one who eats from all the food groups/edible choices within a culture...A whole lot of people would have a problem with omnivorism being considered "normal"--though I know you don't intend that term as a criticism of others' choices! ;-}
Old 01-26-2007, 05:24 PM   #4  
Cowboy Up Chick

Bobbie, thank you...the term (which I knew) just escaped my brain at the time. LOL! And no I did not intend to offend anyone's choice at all.
Old 01-28-2007, 05:02 AM   #5  

Default Thank U both !

I show her your answers....
:-)
LOL

Thanks....
Old 01-28-2007, 10:51 PM   #6  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Hi Matt!

It is possible to do WW and be a vegetarian. You just have to count the points for alternative protein sources. Many of the vegetarian products on the market today have the nutritional information on the packaging and you use that info to count the points. You can also use the WW food guide which gives you the points for fruit, veg, grains, legumes, etc.

There is actually some information in the "Welcome" booklet regarding doing WW on a vegetarian diet.

Here's is a link to the 3fc WW vegetarian recipe threads if you and your girlfriend would like some meal ideas.
Closed Thread