Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 01-25-2007, 01:16 PM   #1  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Default Sugar

Every now and then I get this intense craving for something Supersweet Like REALLY Sweet Normally i don't like sweet sweet stuff
Does this happen to you guys?
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 03:19 PM   #2  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

I always want sweets, but more so since I had LB surgery... yes it is strange. Are you using alot of artificial sweetners? or more than you did in the past? Its said that artificial sweetners can trigger cravings
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 03:25 PM   #3  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

I actually don't use them. b/c after a splenda and tea bender i found all I wanted was crap so I either do 1 tsp or packet of sugar or no sugar at all if I want chocolate I get dark chocolate and calculate the sugars so my serving has less than 10 grams and that's maybe 4/5 times per month i keep it in the freezer.
the only artificial is in light juice or iced tea or protien bars
Old 01-26-2007, 08:01 AM   #4  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Maybe your just developing a sweet tooth It wasn't until I was in my late 20's that all I wanted was cake. Seriously, I was not a sweet junkie until then our bodies and taste change so who knows.
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 09:34 AM   #5  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

I hope not! Altho it's funny I bought my gf a bag of those pepperidge farm soft baked cookies and I had a bite it was the NAstiest thing i have ever eaten and she was loving it
My hemoglobin has been super low lately (I was hospitalized for it last week) So I'm hoping now that thats getting better that the cravings go bye bye
Old 01-27-2007, 02:06 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 421/250/235

Height: 6'0"

Hello
I crave sweets too. But more Salt things than sweet. My iron isnt low or anything, I am almost 10 moths out, and its normal, alot of my friends crave all kinds of things.

Good luck,
Stephanie
LadySteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 01:43 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 237/232/150

Height: 5'6"

Yes I still crave sweets even after 6 years out. I liked them so much that I gained half of my weight back. I had a VBG so I never had dumping syndrome. I never learned to eat healthy after my surgery. So, now I am on South Beach and I am learning to sut the sugar so the cravings will go away. Wish me luck!
swingirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 09:48 AM   #8  
Old Cackler

wow, swingirl! congrats for stopping the madness earlier - rather than later! lots of people do well with south beach - keep us posted.

And lady steph - anemias can happen at any time. my iron deficiency didn't strike until i was about 2-1/2 years out. so, be sure to get it checked REGULARLY!!!

and now, kier, that you've fessed up to the hospitalization - ya gotta dish some more - what has to change for you? what's going on?

be healthy everyone! we did the surgery so we'd be well - not so we'd be sick. and it takes time and attention [and we're not used to doing that for ourselves, are we?]
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 10:18 AM   #9  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

I've always had problems with my period and aside from 3 weeks postop with no period I had one for 4 months after. I ignored it until MLK day I had off was upstairs doing some computer stuff didn't eat but had some water
Around 12:45 I had some twinges in my abdomen figured i had gone too long without food. Stood up and almost hit my knees I had stabbing abdominal pain I slowly got downstairs and called my dh doubled over in pain he called the doc the doc called me and we went to the city to the lenox hill emergency room. turns out i had evidence of a ruptured cyst and a fibroid in my uterus. Scary stuff I made an appt with my gyn for thursday went saw her she wanted me to get a sonogram later that day which I almost passed out on the way there Back to the hospital this one in my town My blood count was super low they almost transfused me i was given drugs to make it stop which thank god it did and now we're waiting for the next step in the process. she wants to put me on lupron and a pharmocological menopause But I don't want that so I'm going to call her and see what my options are
sorry for the novel January SUCKED!
Kier
Old 05-03-2007, 04:40 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 185.5 / 176 / 133

Height: 5' 3"

Default Sugar Cravings

Quote:
Originally Posted by KO View Post
Every now and then I get this intense craving for something Supersweet Like REALLY Sweet Normally i don't like sweet sweet stuff
Does this happen to you guys?
I know where you're coming from here cos I'm exactly the same.

Hi all, I'm ketakat and I'm new to this forum tonight. I have intense sugar cravings and I've discovered that I have a lack of protein in my diet which causes the cravings, so i've been trying to encorporate more protein in my diet to try and combat the cravings. I haven't been doing it long enuf to notice a difference yet, but hopefully by next Thursday I hope to see a difference. I'll keep you posted, but may be worth giving in a try as well.
ketakat is offline   Reply With Quote