Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 01-24-2007, 02:50 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 160/122/120

Default Measurements

Lately, I've really been thinking about how much of a difference muscle makes in a person's shape.

The last time I weighed 130 pounds was when I was 18. At the time, my measurements were:
bust: 36
waist: 28
hips: 42
Over the years (6), I gained a significant amount of weight and after losing it again, my dimensions at 130 pounds are:
bust: 36 (one letter smaller)
waist: 29
hips: 36 - My hips disappeared! I used to think I had "child-bearing" hips, but it was all just fat.

Does anyone else have any shape/size comparisons at the same weight but with different amounts of muscle? I would love to hear about other experiences people have had. As someone who can get a little too focused on the numbers on the scale, I really have to make the effort to remember the other indicators of progress.

(BTW, I realize my ticker says 122; I'm fighting the "winter gain" and refuse to move my ticker in the gaining direction. The weight will come back off.)
Goodbye Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 03:04 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

YES Goodbye YES!! I had the same thought a couple of weeks ago, but just didn't post it bc I thought it was just one of my little thinking-too-much kind of crazy things I do.

But yes, as I'm going thru my closet now and wearing things that I haven't worn in a few years, I realize that I am wearing the same size now at 213-215 that I did back in 2003 when I was about 195-200!! Back then I was doing alot of cardio (my 30 min workouts plus walking hills with a group at lunch at least 3 days/wk) but my weight lifting was MACHINES instead of FREE WEIGHTS! And my eating was not as "englightened" as it is now.

This is where Mel should stand up and take a bow, but it really did make a difference to switch equipment and understand that a full body workout meant 2 exercises for each muscle group rather than a handful of exercises for my upper body and lower body. Oh, and that squats and plie squats do more for you than a cable pull machine EVER could!! lol
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 05:36 PM   #3  
Ilene the Bean

Absolutely YES there is a difference in body composition when you lift weights.... At 150, 10 years ago I fit into 14s I did not fit into the size 8 or 6 I do now (but I do think that the manufacturers have played with the sizing, but I just won't admit that to myself right now )
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 06:28 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I am so bummed! I had a list of my measurements from 12 years ago when I weighed 128 and I can't find it anywhere. I also had the list of measurements from when I was 165 from 17 years ago, but that's irrelevant, now!!! But I would sure like to see what the differences are this time around (not that I'm lifting, though). But I do know that I am fitting into a smaller size!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 06:41 PM   #5  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I wish I would have a list of measurements, but I don't The only thing I know for sure is that I am wearing waaay smaller clothing sizes now at 201 then I was years ago at the same weight. I was thinking it must be all the exercise. Ilene's gone and burst my bubble though, I think she just may be on to something - the manufacturers must be messing around with the sizing.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 06:47 PM   #6  
Meg

Vanity sizing is completely out of control now ... I don't know how we're supposed to figure out what size we are any more.

I went to the gym this morning wearing two jackets because I was cold. The first layer was a zip up fleece jacket, size M. On top of the first jacket, I wore another jacket ------- size Petite XS. How is that??????

Working legs made my hips disappear too! I always thought I had good, sturdy peasant woman hips. But with squats and lunges I lost 22" off them and ended up being smaller on the bottom than the top with 35" hips.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 06:48 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

Whew - well lucky for me, I'm basing it on the old clothes in my closet that I used to wear, so for me, it's very true, new clothing model sizes or not. My old clothes are definitely fitting at higher weights now than before.
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 07:55 PM   #8  
Out there trying

S/C/G: 185/127/125

Height: 5'4"

What a great topic idea!

I wish I had my measurements but maybe it's better late than never! As I continue to up my workouts and watch the scale NOT move, maybe that's what I need is to see some change.

Are my clothes looser? Maybe, but I never trust myself to know for sure.

So here's some questions. What/where do you measure? Can you do this yourself?

And the most important thing I've read here today...your hips can get smaller working out your legs?? Really? That's so exciting - can you explain how that works? I ask because I really thought that the extra hips would never go away for me unless I lost another 10-15 lbs. and I just don't know if that's going to happen!
elisa822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 09:34 PM   #9  
Mel

I started seriously lifting after I hit my first goal weight of 135. I was wearing size 8 jeans. Previously, I did high rep full body circuits and hamster cardio while I was losing. After my first 12 week BFL challenge (not strictly by the book), I had gained two pounds and lost 2 jeans sizes. I have to admit that I deliberately searched out brands in which I could wear size 4 because it felt so good...but this was only over a 12 week period with an actual gain on the scale.

I didn't take measurements, but I did have bodyfat measurements: over those 12 weeks I went from 27% to 20% bodyfat.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 11:25 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 160/122/120

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisa822 View Post
What a great topic idea!

So here's some questions. What/where do you measure? Can you do this yourself?

And the most important thing I've read here today...your hips can get smaller working out your legs?? Really? That's so exciting - can you explain how that works? I ask because I really thought that the extra hips would never go away for me unless I lost another 10-15 lbs. and I just don't know if that's going to happen!
I was always told to measure the bust and hips at the widest part and to measure your waist at the point that's narrowest.

Starting out, I didn't really do lunges and I was too afraid to use the squat machine. However, after I lost about 20 pounds, the fat on my hips really started coming off. Right now, I'm doing a lot more lunging and squatting since, for the first time in my life, my thighs are wider than my hips! I've got that saddle-bag thing going on; it's not terrible, but really bugs me. It's fascinating (and sometimes frightening) to see where and when the weight comes off. For a while, it seemed like I could lose weight only in the bust and hips. I saw my hourglass morphing into a thick stick, but I stuck with it and I'm balancing back out again.

Mel, body fat percentage is a great way to keep track of progress. I wish I knew what mine was back when I was 18. And congrats on losing 22" from your hips! That's incredible!
Yeah, except for certain stores, I don't really look at sizes. I just do the good old "hold them up and see if they look like they might fit" strategy.
Goodbye Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 07:40 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 329/223/147

Height: 5ft5

GC,

What a nice photo - you're very pretty! Congrats on all your hard work in changing your body composition. I've been working hard with free weights/ machines for a year and my body shape/ fat percentage has changed dramatically. I wore a suit that I last wore ten years ago at my graduation that was a squeeze to get on then and I weighed 20lbs less than I did before Christmas - so would agree that training really does change your body in ways that you can't measure on the scale. Doesn't it make you feel a whole lot better too?

EM
EnglishMuffin is offline   Reply With Quote