Old 01-23-2007, 01:45 PM   #1  
Resident Witchling

S/C/G: 198/190/140

Height: 5'7"

Default Well, my motivation is absolutely SHOT.

I did pretty well last week; no more mac-and-cheese, plenty of proteins and whole grains, so-so on veggies but better than my usual; worked out three times, then went sailing on Sunday - and believe me, there are times when it is definitely a workout, particularly in "the slot" on the SF Bay.

And this morning when I weighed myself, I'm UP three pounds!!! What the ? How does that work? I'm doing the right stuff; why is the scale going in the wrong direction?

And it's not just that I'm upset about that, cause it's done more than just put me in a bad mood for the morning. I'm totally going "Why do I bother to do this? Fine, I'm going to gain anyway, might as well just off and quit worrying about it."

*sigh* Can TOM actually mess with weight THAT badly? Three pounds worth? That seems kind of excessive, even for the first TOM I've had since...October? November? I have an IUD, so I only get TOM every once in a while.

Course, it isn't helping my state of mind, either. I was going to allow myself a small smoothie for breakfast when I go grocery-shopping this morning, I checked the nutrition info online and it's only 200 cal for the small one, but now I'm wondering if I should allow myself that much for breakfast.

That's how I get when I'm like this. I get all, alright, regular stuff isn't working, so I'm just going to STOP EATING. Wanna with me, body? Fine, we'll see how you do with NO food.

Someone smack me, please. I'm probably being enough of an idiot that I need it.
Nikaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 02:02 PM   #2  
I £øve ®ºcK MüZïk

S/C/G: 262/198/160

You need to eat, hon. Eating nothing won't do you any good at all.

I can understand why you're so upset, but yes, that TOTM does affect your weight like that. It seems that during that week, week and a half..your weight is like a yo-yo. Because of bloating, etc. It happens, there's nothing we can do about it. We just have to deal with it. I would suggest not to weigh yourself around that TOM, because it's a real ego bruiser, as you can tell!!

Don't let this get you down hon. Ok? Just pick yourself up, brush yourself off, and keep on going!!!
muzikjunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 02:12 PM   #3  
back at it

S/C/G: 178/175/145

Height: 5'8"

I gain anywhere from 2-5 lbs during TOM, so believe me, 3 is no big deal. Also, I definately don't think 200 calories for brekky is too much. If you're hungary in the morning, eat 200 calories!
denice81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 02:52 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 234/154.4/120

Height: 5'6

My first TOM during weightloss, I gained 4 freaking lbs! Believe me, that was a big shock and I cried because of it (okay, the crying probably has alot to do with PMS, but still...).

You can't give up, babe. TOM can be killer, but that weight WILL come off when it's over, as long as you stay on plan and keep with it.

We're all here to support you whenever you need it.
FreeSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 05:18 PM   #5  

TOM is a really frustrating thing. It can make you go from feeling on top of the world to feeling like you must have ate the world to look the way you do. My body always looks so much different to me during it, don't worry about it!

Don't weigh yourself during it, as it's not going to be accurate. And like the others said, definitely don't starve your body -- I know the temptation, but it doesn't help! I hope you're feeling better today, good luck!
sweet_talker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 05:33 PM   #6  
Resident Witchling

See, this is why I post here when I'm like that. Cause I know you guys will (gently) smack me and remind me that I'm being a twit.

I called my boyfriend and cried to him about it. I think he thought I was being oversensitive about it. But I went to the grocery store and bought my groceries for the week - and I actually was good, bought all the right kind of stuff, healthy foods and veggies and all that - and got myself that smoothie. I didn't drink much of it, because I'd gotten a different one from my usual, and it turned out that I don't like that one very much. Lunch - well, kinda breakfast, since I didn't have breakfast this morning - was an english muffin with a little bit of butter and raspberry preserves, with a small handful of macadamia nuts and two squares of dark chocolate.

So I guess all is not lost. I've never hated my body with quite such a peculiar passion, though. I'd gotten quite used to NOT having TOM, and now that it's messing with me so bad, I despise my uterus with an undying hatred.
Old 01-23-2007, 05:58 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 186/???/130

Height: 5'5

From what I have read, breakfast should be your heaviest calories of the day. Anywhere from 200-400cals. I have a hard time meeting that, i hate breakfast. I usually have cheerios (150cal) or oatmeal (160) and throw in a fruit every now and then.
Correct me if Im wrong, i do need all the help i can get!!!!

ugh AF can be horrible. Not only the bloat the cravings!! ugh

Keep ur head up!!! ur doing great!!!
mimik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 06:11 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 230.8/see ticker/160

Height: 5'8

No adviuce, just a big
babygrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 07:51 PM   #9  
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

I just wanted to say that I could have written both of your posts on this thread.
I get ya.
I am sure that you will feel better in both body and spirit next week and those stupid pounds will go away.
'Til then.......
shrinkingchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 01:15 AM   #10  
Resident Witchling

I'm doing a bit better...still not pleased with the extra poundage, but my belt is still buckling loose on hole #4, as opposed to #4 being just right, so I'm thinking it's just TOM issues or something. I don't FEEL like I've gained.

And, I did really well for dinner, I improvised a big batch of turkey chili - chopped onion sauteed in garlic-infused olive oil, minced garlic, a pound of ground turkey, half a bottle of salsa, a can of beans, and some red pepper flakes - and it turned out really well! For someone who has always described herself as "not a cook by any stretch of the imagination", I'm really doing well! And I'm proud of myself for it. Made some brown rice to mix with a portion of the chili, and that was my dinner, with a glass of wine, watching my absolute favorite TV show.

And that kinda gave me back my equanimity, my balance. I'm feeling much better, and having heard from you guys that it really *is* TOM (and not just that I've messed up somehow) helped me so much. I can't thank you guys enough.
Old 01-24-2007, 03:16 AM   #11  

Maybe it's just me who feels like my body looks totally different for that one 5 day stretch, I dunno!

Wow that turkey chili sounds really good, sounds like something a chef would make to me
sweet_talker is offline   Reply With Quote