Old 01-21-2007, 08:04 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 364/364/140

Height: 5 feet

Default How much water in a day???

How much water do you need to drink in a day?? I have been trying to get in enough, but don't know how much is enough. Thanks for your help in advance.
DramaQueenLucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 08:33 PM   #2  
Believe

Height: 5'7"

The answer to that question is the same as the question on how many calories should you eat per day - it depends on the person. There's so many factors that enter into it - how much exercise you are getting each day, are you drinking other beverages beside water each day and if so how much, where you live (is the climite hot?), etc. So, I can only tell you that I drink at least 64 oz. a day. And I don't know any other way to say this but to be blunt - if my pee isn't clear I know that I haven't had enough water so I drink more until it is!
melsfolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 09:13 PM   #3  
Beam me up Scotty!

S/C/G: 310/218/140

Height: 5'6"

LOL...I work on that "clear pee" idea too. But the basic guide that i've always seen was half your body weight in water. In my case that would be 115 ounces and I usually get in a gallon. I measure out for the day and use that to make whatever, like juice for smoothies or tea.
cantforgetthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 09:38 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

This question comes up a lot. First, hydration IS important, but it seems there are lots of myths out there about water consumption (including, perhaps, the "clear pee" notion).

The newer research seems to indicate that we get hydration from many sources, even caffeinated beverages ADD fluids to your body. So as long as you get fluids of all kind (and there is liquid in many foods too) on a regular basis, you are probably fine and don't have to worry about drinking "enough." (though, do note the limitations in the conclusion of the article I indicated below).

Here's a link to a research article in the American Journal of Physiology that discusses the issue of whether there's any evidence we need to drink 64 ounces of pure water daily and some of the other issues too. Much of it is pretty accessible to the lay person, and quite interesting I think.

http://ajpregu.physiology.org/cgi/co...ull/283/5/R993

And here's the abstract:
"Despite the seemingly ubiquitous admonition to "drink at least eight 8-oz glasses of water a day" (with an accompanying reminder that beverages containing caffeine and alcohol do not count), rigorous proof for this counsel appears to be lacking. This review sought to find the origin of this advice (called "8 × 8" for short) and to examine the scientific evidence, if any, that might support it. The search included not only electronic modes but also a cursory examination of the older literature that is not covered in electronic databases and, most importantly and fruitfully, extensive consultation with several nutritionists who specialize in the field of thirst and drinking fluids. No scientific studies were found in support of 8 × 8. Rather, surveys of food and fluid intake on thousands of adults of both genders, analyses of which have been published in peer-reviewed journals, strongly suggest that such large amounts are not needed because the surveyed persons were presumably healthy and certainly not overtly ill. This conclusion is supported by published studies showing that caffeinated drinks (and, to a lesser extent, mild alcoholic beverages like beer in moderation) may indeed be counted toward the daily total, as well as by the large body of published experiments that attest to the precision and effectiveness of the osmoregulatory system for maintaining water balance. It is to be emphasized that the conclusion is limited to healthy adults in a temperate climate leading a largely sedentary existence, precisely the population and conditions that the "at least" in 8 × 8 refers to. Equally to be emphasized, lest the message of this review be misconstrued, is the fact (based on published evidence) that large intakes of fluid, equal to and greater than 8 × 8, are advisable for the treatment or prevention of some diseases and certainly are called for under special circumstances, such as vigorous work and exercise, especially in hot climates. Since it is difficult or impossible to prove a negativein this instance, the absence of scientific literature supporting the 8 × 8 recommendationthe author invites communications from readers who are aware of pertinent publications."
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 07:43 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 364/364/140

Height: 5 feet

Thanks for the input I have found that since I quit smoking 2 days ago that I really want to drink tons of water that is good news for me because I had always struggled with getting the water down and turned to pop instead. So not only has quiting smoking help me get rid of the cigarettes but also to drink my water now I have been drinking about 55 ounces of water 24 ounces of tea and about 1 cup of milk. I had always heard about the clear pee thing but my pee is never clear, light yeas but not clear and I am running to the bathroom every half an hour.

If I go by the half my body weight then I would be short about 55 ounces per day of pure water.

If I use the other one that includes my tea then I am short only about 23 ounces per day.

I think that I may just have to ask my doctor how much she wants me to drink in water per day because I have only one kidney and don't want to do anymore damage to it then I had already done by drinking tons of pop for most of my life.
DramaQueenLucy is offline   Reply With Quote