Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 08:03 AM   #1  

Height: 5'5"

Default appetite suppressant

I've been eating healthier and exercising more for 3 weeks now, and although I'm starting slow (only 30-40min exercise a day for 3-4 days a week) so I don't immediately get burned out, I was really hoping to see some minor results. I haven't, and I think I can attribute that to the fact that at the end of the day I'm SO hungry! I've been eating larger meals in the morning, and smaller more frequent meals/snacks at night. My problem is that my hubby and I worked nights for so long that we are in the habit of eating dinner when I get home from work--about midnight. Since I'm eating a smaller dinner than I used to, I have time to squish it in right before I go to work, and have a small snack (like a cup of grapes) while at work so I shouldn't be hungry. But my tummy thinks it's time to eat when I get home...so I start with something small, lest I can't get to sleep for all the growling going on. Then I eat something else. Then just one more thing....etc.

Ok, blah blah blah...Is there an appetite suppressant out there that isn't also an energy pill/drink so I can help myself get into a "routine" of not eating and being hungry at night? I've tried taking sleeping pills or filling myself up with water and going straight to bed when I get home--which ends up with me waking up in the middle of the night still hungry and with a full bladder
Old 01-18-2007, 09:06 AM   #2  
it's always something

Have you tried spacing your calories out so that you have something left to nibble at night, like an apple or some light popcorn? I find that drinking hot tea helps.

I don't know anyone that has tried it, but there is some evidence that Korean pine nut oil may work as a natural and safe appetite suppressant. I just bumped up a thread by someone that was planning to try it, and hope she'll have results to share The info out there is limited, but it seems safe to try.

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/ma...ticlekey=60784
Quote:
The researchers checked the women's levels of appetite-related hormones including CCK and GLP-1 (glucagon-like peptide) over four hours. The women also rated their appetite on the same schedule.

The women who had taken the pine nut capsules reported less hunger and showed higher levels of CCK and GLP-1 than those who took the placebo pills, report Jennifer Causey, PhD, nutrition manager at Lipid Nutrition.

Levels of two other appetite-related hormones -- ghrelin and PPY peptide -- were similar in both groups, the study also shows. The results don't cover long-term use or weight changes in people taking the pine nut oil.
It can be purchased from Life Extension and ordered online, and even special ordered from Vitamin Shoppe.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:40 AM   #3  

I would sometimes be SO hungry at night that I'd wake up with hunger pains. What I did was have some psyllium before bed. It's a natural fibre. I would take a tablespoon of the whole husks [I bought them at a bulk food health store] with some water. You need to be sure to rinse your mouth out really well after you drink or else the husks stick to the inside of it. The psyllium bulks up and keeps you full and it has the added benefit of cleaning you out in the morning
Old 01-18-2007, 09:41 AM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Since you mention you have larger meals in the morning and smaller ones at night, have you tried cutting down the meals in the morning and switching some of the calories at night?

Sometimes you are hungry for various reasons that don't involve food but sometimes you are really hungry. Also, you might want to eat protein/fiber when you are eating carb type foods. Carb type foods can induce hunger but protein and fiber can help with that. So if you have grapes, maybe grapes and a piece of string cheese?
Old 01-18-2007, 01:46 PM   #5  

Height: 5'5"

Ok, I took a look at my fitday profile and you're right, I'm eating way too many carbs (esp at night when I'm hungry) and getting too little fiber and protein. I talked to my dad and he said he's just started taking psyllium as well as Optimal Nutrition protein shakes at night. I've never taken a protein shake (well, except ******** once) and he explained the different types. I got the casein (sp?) as he says it will digest slower. Hopefully those should help as well as supplement my diet. And when I say diet, I mean my eating lifestyle. I'll never "diet" again
Closed Thread