Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 01-17-2007, 05:38 AM   #1  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Default Broke my Streak (Warning: mentions some food)

hmm, I haven't poked my head in this section in a while. I've been binge-free for probably at least 2 months now (a miracle from the bingeing I used to do nearly every day). Heck, I even lost weight between Thanksgiving and last week--no added holiday pounds!

But yesterday, something happened. I wasn't particularly stressed at work, I am not having any issues with my boyfriend, I wasn't angry or sad or upset or even celebrating anything happy--I just wanted JUNK FOOD. I hadn't had regular fast food in MONTHS (which was a MAJOR trigger and demon for me in the past), and when I left work yesterday, I drove straight to Wendy's. 2 Jr. bacon cheeseburgers and a small fry (which is a joke--their "small" is pretty big and has over 400 calories) later, I KNEW I had done something wrong. I was heading in the opposite direction of my goals, and I knew that while I was eating it...heck, I knew while I was driving to the place, but I didn't stop.

And if that wasn't enough (it really was less food than I used to consume in what used to be a "typical Wendy's run" for me, but I still caved to a major trigger food, so it was a personal disaster), I felt icky and lazy when I came home, so instead of cooking the healthy dinner of chicken, couscous, and veggies I had planned, I ordered us CHINESE None of that steamed-veggies-and-chicken crap for me...oh no...I had to have the sesame chicken (you know, the battered, fried chicken with tons of dark, thick sauce), white rice (mixed in with the extra sauce from the chicken), and a big fat fried egg roll. Ugh.

I wish I knew why I caved. I wish I could understand why I can eat perfectly well for 2 months and then just snap one day and pretend it all doesn't matter. I wish I knew why I would keep eating even when I felt full.

Bah, all this "I wish" stuff is for the birds...the only thing that matters is that I WILL get back on track today.

Sorry, guys, just had to vent, and I really feel most comfortable about venting major overeating incidents here in this part of 3FC where I know others really understand
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 07:52 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 218/207/155

Height: 5'7"

Jillybean....1 small step backward does not null the leaps and bounds you've taken the last few months!!! REMEMBER THAT! You've been doing SO great, today is a new day
mammasita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 11:26 AM   #3  
Elizabeth

S/C/G: 233/158/145

Height: 5'6

<<<<Jill>>>>

I'm sorry to hear you had a less than perfect day yesterday. It happens to ALL of us at times.

CONGRATULATIONS on being binge-free for over 2 months!!!! that is SO fantastic!
You should REALLY be proud of yourself!!!!

Personally, when I deter off of the road to fitness/health I get DISGUSTED and will just drive off the cliff. I think it is my dreaded "all or nothing" mentality and perfectionism that does me in.

The worse I feel about myself the worse my eating becomes. What helps me, sometimes, is to record my "off plan" eating on fitday. Usually when I look at the actual calories consumed it is not as horrible as I imagined. Then I make myself sit down and literally write out the POSITIVE things I've accomplished (losing X amount of weight, exercising, drinking water, eating healthier foods, NOT bingeing for X amount of time, etc) Somehow, that helps me remember that I'm doing GREAT even if I'm not perfect. Sometimes, I also write out things I like about myself. Sounds corny, I know, but it helps me.

Ok, I can make a positive Jill list just to remind you of how fantastic you are doing:
1. I've been binge-free for probably at least 2 months now (a miracle from the bingeing I used to do nearly every day).
2. Heck, I even lost weight between Thanksgiving and last week--no added holiday pounds!
3. I hadn't had regular fast food in MONTHS (which was a MAJOR trigger and demon for me in the past)
4. it really was less food than I used to consume in what used to be a "typical Wendy's run" for me
5. the only thing that matters is that I WILL get back on track today

You seem to have a great attitude! Good luck!
telemetrynurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 12:27 PM   #4  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Oh Jilly, sorry to hear about your bad day. But you know we're gonna have um from time to time. I think that they were too much a part of our lives and to expect that they're never going to occur again is well just too much too expect. At least you feel badly about it. It's progress!!! And that's just what you (we) are - a work in progress.

You have been doing sooo well lately, don't let one or even 2 lousy days get you down. Time to move on and put it behind you. It's HISTORY. Binge? What binge, that's YESTERDAY's news. On to today. Good luck!!!! Please hang in there - it is SO worth it.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 12:59 PM   #5  
Eating for two!

Thank you so much everyone...and this is why I LOVE 3FC! I've been right back on track so far today (skipped my workout this morning, but I will do one when I get home!), and I have been so busy at work that I actually haven't even eaten everything I'd planned (much better than yesterday when I'd eaten everything by noon and then was hungry all afternoon ).
Quote:
Originally Posted by telemetrynurse View Post
Personally, when I deter off of the road to fitness/health I get DISGUSTED and will just drive off the cliff. I think it is my dreaded "all or nothing" mentality and perfectionism that does me in.
I think this is exactly why I ended up ordering out for dinner. It was like, "well, I've already killed my day with that fast food, so I might as well really make it worth my while..."
Quote:
Originally Posted by telemetrynurse View Post
What helps me, sometimes, is to record my "off plan" eating on fitday. Usually when I look at the actual calories consumed it is not as horrible as I imagined.
haha, I soooo did this yesterday, and ya know, according to my estimates in Fitday, it was only about 3320 calories. Yes, that's a lot, but since I'm so large, my maintenance calories are around 2200, so the additional damage was still less than half a pound of fat's worth (if that makes sense).
Old 01-17-2007, 01:18 PM   #6  
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

Jill,
You intellectually know that you can mitigate the damage done by the wendys by not ordering the chinese. But that is where and when that pesky comes in.
It is reallllly difficult. I know that and you know that and others here know that. But you also intellectually know that: 1. you didn't actually do that much damage anyway, 2. you have to give yourself kudos for going 2 mos binge-free and that 3. you can be in control today and put that binge behind you.
So, here is to our minds being able to conquer what ever it is that urges/impulses us..........
shrinkingchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 01:46 PM   #7  

Jill...I have to say I feel horrible for making that silly grocery store comment to you yesterday. I should've thought more about it before telling you to go ahead and test yourself. I know it's something I do, but it's not the best advice to give to people.

I agree with what everyone's said so far about looking at your positives. 1 binge in months isn't something to fret too much about. And by your calculations, you didn't even consume that many calories [compared to my 10,000 calorie binges in my bulimic days!].

Today's a new day, and it sounds like you're doing a lot better.

Sending you much
simone1ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 02:14 PM   #8  
Eating for two!

Simone--don't feel bad Like I mentioned in that thread, if it were a normal day, I would have "tested" myself, too...I just knew I was not in my normal strong state of mind yesterday for some reason (although I still wish I knew that reason so I could prevent it in the future ).

What really gets me is that I knew I was having a "weak" day--I could feel it. I would think that feeling that way might lead me to find ways to be successful, but instead, I feel like I just gave in. I forgot to include in my Fitday that I also had junk food at work--there's this guy who actually stocks a bunch of free junk food in his office for everyone, so I ended up having a package of no-name Oreos (6 in the package), 5 mini dark charcolate with crispies Hershey's bars, and a Nature Valley granola bar (which is really 2 thin bars in one package). It was AFTER all of that that I still went for the fast food.

But, no free junk food today, and only 45 minutes till I go home, so I'm safe I kinda feel like I got it out of my system, in a way. I'm going to stop at the store on my way home for some bacon to cook with my chicken for dinner. I knew I couldn't go to a store yesterday without winding up buying mega junk food, but today I'm back to feeling stronger.
Old 01-17-2007, 03:12 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 114/107/105

Height: 5'2

Default I feel for you...

Jilly -
I'm sorry to hear about your binge day. They are so rough. I know for me the hardest part after I haven't binged for awhile, and then I do, is the emotional part. The calories can be worked off, but the self doubt that goes along with messing up after being good for so long is harder for me to deal with. I just wanted to let you know you arent alone. I think this happens to everyone whos had overeating issues. I know about a two months into my diet (back in november), something in me just snapped too. One day I just got up and knew I was going to binge. I'd done so well for two whole months, and then that day I binged on chocolate, mexican food, and wendy's. I wasn't upset, or physiologically needing nutrients (which was the case in the past), but I still binged. My best advice is to just keep moving forward. Congrats on being able to pick yourself up a day after the binge. For me it took a month! So feel good about that. Feel good that you love yourself enough, and value your health enough to get back on the horse today. Hope you feel inspired today. Good luck!
paperdollme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 03:31 PM   #10  
Cruisin' for a Losin'

S/C/G: 278/249/170

Height: 5'9"

I can so relate to this post today.

I have been a yo yo dieter for years. But since January started I have been really really on track. I lost 6 lbs in two weeks. I have been eating really healthy. I have done at least 30 minutes of exercise everyday.

Yesterday was an exception. I did pretty well at work, but not great. I ate 2 cookies in the faculty room. but on the way home heard the commercial for 6 piece Mc D nuggets are now on the dollar menu (Great Deal huh? ) And next thing I knew I was in the drive thru. Now in the past it was not uncommon for me to order 3 six packs, and large chocolate shake (those shakes are like 1100 calories! ) However i ordered two packs of nuggets and a small fry. I ate the 12 nuggets in about 5 minutes. I was than in the zone. Somehow I reached behind my drivers seat and got the package of chocolate pretzels a student had given me. I ate 4 large pretzels before I came to my senses. I pulled over the first thing I could and through out the rest of the pretzels, and the fries which I hadn't even opened yet.

I went home and did 60 minutes of working out instead of my usual 30 and I ate an apple for dinner. I hope that makes up for my slip. But for one of the first times it was just that, a slip. Not a fall and a tumble and a crash!

Failure is not falling down, it is refusing to get back up!

Mari
Chestnutlass is offline   Reply With Quote