Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 01-16-2007, 12:15 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 204/204/145

Height: 5'7"

Question Anyone lifted and also did Fat Smashers?

I like the idea behind Fat Smashers. In fact, today was my first day. However, this plan says not to lift weights until Phase III (4-5 weeks from now). I have noticed form earlier this year that lifting (even a little bit like with a medicine ball) makes a big difference. However, I don't want to screw up the eating part. I am trying to eat a fair amount of protein. Has anyone ever started lifting during phase I or II of Fat Smashers?
fatBgone07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 09:11 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 145/137/125

Height: 5"4

Default Fat Smashers

I too am on the Fat Smashing Diet. This is day 10 for me. I haven't lifted weights during the first phase, b/c just from my own perception of the diet I don't think your body is getting an adequate amount of protein in order to heal or/recooperate from the lifting. And I would hate to pull a muscle or continue to be sore, just because I need a little more protein. What I have done is the Tae-bo Bootcamp, which does have some light resistance training (but that is using bands). I hope this helps.
shyia10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 09:49 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

I looked into the fatsmash plan book and passed on it bc I could not commit to the phase 1 eating while already being a lifter. Agree with your assessment on it not being the right kind of food sources for a very active person. I didn't like the whole detox idea - prefer to do that with protein smoothie meal replacements if I am in need of something like that.
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 11:29 AM   #4  
it's always something

The book is very confusing, and lacks important details. He mentions that you can begin lifting light weights in P2 (starts with day 10) but that it might be better to wait until P3 (begins around week 7). He doesn't mention why, so I'm guessing it's a personal choice. Then he suggests starting small and building as your body gets used to it. Based on the way he wrote it, I get the impression he's assuming the reader is new to exercise in general, as well as lifting. If you are not completely new to this, then it's probably ok to go ahead and work with your current level of comfort.

Phase 1, if followed as written, contains between 1200 and 1500 calories per day, with an average of 70 grams of protein, but could be increased through careful selection of foods.

Phase 2 is confusing because you do get to add lean meats, but then he is less clear about how much you should eat of the other foods. Your nutritional results would vary.

<rant> Personally, I never made it out of Phase 1 because the lure of meat did nothing for me (vegetarian) and the lack of structure was too frustrating. Everyone that followed it seemed to do something different, and while some of the menus were great, some were very incomplete and bordered on bad nutrition and fad dieting. It wasn't their fault, it was the fault of a poorly written book. I don't think the author realized that we needed more details. It's not like he was here to guide us. I hope his next book is more clear and better organized. However, it's called the Extreme Fat Smash, designed for quick weight loss, so I'm worried about how realistic it will be.</rant>
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 01:39 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Oh, brother. I guess that's the plan they'll be using on the next Celebrity Fit Club. Like those people don't already have enough problems with their, ahem, substance issues!
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 07:32 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 204/204/145

Thanks for all of your replies! I agree- the book is not detailed enough.

Shyia- I was wondering about using bands until I hit Phase II. I may try that.
fatBgone07 is offline   Reply With Quote