UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 01-15-2007, 09:27 AM   #1  
Consistency + Balance

S/C/G: 18st/12st10lbs/11st3lbs

Height: 5 ft 6 ins

Default Gastric Surgery and Tablets Question

Okay - perhaps I'm being a bit blonde but please hear me out and don't take offence if you're on the tablets or have had the surgery because I don't mean this offensively AT ALL. I've got a heavy cold so maybe it makes sense to everyone else but just not to me at the moment.

A post on here about diet tablets said that in order to get your doctor to prescribe them you have to prove you can lose weight by shedding a few pounds in advance of them being prescribed - and last night I watched a TV programme about a young lad (age 15) who had gastric band surgery but before the doctor would perform the surgery the lad had to lose some weight - and actually managed to lose 20lbs.

Now the surgery involves an anaesthetic and permanent radical changes in lifestyle - and the tablets can have some really unpleasant side effects, so... if people ARE able to lose weight before getting the tablets/operation - (even if its fairly slow) - then why get the tablets or have the operation?
Sarah Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 09:28 AM   #2  
Consistency + Balance

Sorry - please don't take offence if you're blonde either ..... (so am I!)
Old 01-15-2007, 10:24 AM   #3  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

I totally agree with you Sarah! It seems a bit bonkers to me, but there you go!
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 11:15 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 185/168/150

Height: 5'8

I suspect it is more mental than anything.Some,not everyone, feel the surgery or pills will be the cure all that will fix everything.I saw a show about a young guy too and he was outright saying the surgey will fix everything.He arrived at the Dr office with orange fingers from the cheesies he ate on the way there.I was always curious about how he made out.
fitbyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 11:56 AM   #5  

I don't get it, either Sarah. I've seen on TV about Weight Loss surgery and they say things like they don't have the will-power to diet, and then after surgery, the stomach's physically smaller so they eat less. But surely anyone who's ever reduced their food intake for a week or more also gets a shrunken stomach, and eats less?

The interesting one for me was last year's Celebrity Fat Club where Anne Diamond cheated and had gastric surgery without telling them before they started filming the show... and week in week out actually lost LESS weight than everyone else who hadn't had surgery. Think that told us all we needed to know. Why risk your life for the sake of 7 day's willpower that would get you to the point where you'd find it easier?

The thing I found horrifying recently was the government suggesting obese kids could have WL surgery on the NHS... haven't they seen what the complications are? And the fact it impacts you for life? Why isn't education re. food a more valid option? And tax the **** out of junk food, if necessary... But it's not addressing people's underlying emotional difficulties that lead to weight gain, or their habits (and they say if you change a habit for 21 days you can be rid of it for good). All a quick fix at the risk literally of people's lives. And none of it addressing the underlying problems that led to a person being overweight, so it's not going to 'work' forever even if it works initially... I'm a big believer in healing the mind first then letting the body follow. I know they claim to have counselling prior to and after WL surgery but in the (different) things I've seen on TV, it's very superficial...

(Blonde too but only cos I dye it) xxx

Last edited by PhatPhoenix; 01-15-2007 at 12:02 PM.
PhatPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 12:19 PM   #6  
One pound at a time.

S/C/G: 238.2/186.2/150

Height: 5ft 4in

Sarah I agree it's one of these things, a quick fix.

No offence meant.

Last edited by Clydegirl; 01-15-2007 at 12:38 PM.
Clydegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 12:30 PM   #7  
Jess

S/C/G: 226/219/150

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Ann View Post
Okay - perhaps I'm being a bit blonde but please hear me out and don't take offence if you're on the tablets or have had the surgery because I don't mean this offensively AT ALL. I've got a heavy cold so maybe it makes sense to everyone else but just not to me at the moment.

A post on here about diet tablets said that in order to get your doctor to prescribe them you have to prove you can lose weight by shedding a few pounds in advance of them being prescribed - and last night I watched a TV programme about a young lad (age 15) who had gastric band surgery but before the doctor would perform the surgery the lad had to lose some weight - and actually managed to lose 20lbs.

Now the surgery involves an anaesthetic and permanent radical changes in lifestyle - and the tablets can have some really unpleasant side effects, so... if people ARE able to lose weight before getting the tablets/operation - (even if its fairly slow) - then why get the tablets or have the operation?
Hi, My mom is in the process of having gastric bypass and I have went to her appointments and nutrition classes and this is what they have told her about it all. First off, surgery isn't the miracle fix-it all. It requires life changing behavior and her doctor put her on the two week diet and postponed her surgery because she didn't loose any and my mom of course went off and cussed at him saying "If I could loose the weight on my own, why in the **** would I need the surgery" and his response was, I don't expect you to be able to loose a large number of pounds but I do expect you to at least maintain the weight you are and not gain. They want to make sure you are serious about wanting to change because if you don't, there can be very serious medical issues that could even result in loss of life. They put you through classes to teach you the proper diet and want you to start that before surgery to make sure you are able to change and handle it. Most people loose some weight when doing the pre-op diet because they are eating healthy and not pigging out on junk and what not. I think the surgery should be as a last resort effort only and should only be done if the risks of the weight out-weigh the risks of surgery. The surgery isn't something you can get bored with or whatever and say I'm not going to do anymore. It's something that you have to do for the rest of your life because if not, your stomach will stretch back and you will gain. Some people have even stretched it to the point of busting. I hope this helps alittle.
shyheart01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 02:17 PM   #8  
Consistency + Balance

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyheart01 View Post
... Most people loose some weight when doing the pre-op diet because they are eating healthy and not pigging out on junk and what not....
Thats my point exactly - if they can do it pre-op when they HAVE to in order to qualify for the surgery (or tablets) then surely its not impossible for them to just keep at the eating healthy and not pigging out on junk - and lose the weight safely. It might be slow but at least you aren't putting your life or health at risk. shyheart01 - I wish your Mum all the luck in the World.

I'm not entirely sure they do enough counselling over here in the UK - I've known one or two people who have thought the pills / surgery would be the answer to all their problems - and I'm not sure about all the US because the lad on the TV programme who, although English, was having his surgery in New York, only got to see a nutritionist for a very short consultation and she seemed to assume that he already knew what items he should be eating post-op.

PhatPhoenix - I'm really shocked at the idea of giving kids gastric band surgery! Thats outrageous. The money would be better spent on individual counselling and support. I don't know what would be better - giving kids that kind of surgery or giving them weight reducing drugs which apparently has happened in this area. Rather than the surgery or pills they ought to consider sending obese kids to a sort of food and exercise rehab so they can learn good habits - and IMHO it is essential that the parents be educated as well.

Fitbyforty - I know what you mean - a lot of young women assume that being thin will mean that life will be wonderful and, of course, it doesn't.
Old 01-16-2007, 05:20 AM   #9  

One of my SIL's (not the really big one) is thinking of going down this route. She has looked ont eh net and is planning to go to Belgium to have it done. I think some people just get desperate. I dunno.

When she met my Bruv she was a skinny size 8 and she must now be a twenty. She has had health problems anyway and the medication did not help her weight. If it does help her then maybe that is a good thing - though personally it creeps me out.
peacock 2 is offline   Reply With Quote