UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 01-13-2007, 05:57 PM   #1  

Default naural yoghurt

how do you eat it?
i am currently sat eating it out the tub, mainly because it went out of date yesterday but i would like to know how else to have it.
i usually enjoy it with some fresh fruits but i dont have any until i venture to the shops tomorrow.

thanks xx
razzyraquel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 05:55 AM   #2  

yup on fresh fruit...

I wouldnt touch out of date yog tho..... can make you u quite ill !.... just not worth it.
lou1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 07:16 AM   #3  
Consistency + Balance

S/C/G: 18st/12st10lbs/11st3lbs

Height: 5 ft 6 ins

Yes, Lou's right about eating out of date yoghurt - it can make you very

At the moment my favourite breakfast is toasted oats mixed with, linseeds, sunflower and pumpkin seeds, crushed almonds and brazil nuts, a little honey and a big dollop of low fat bio yoghurt (Greek style if possible). Sometimes (if I remember to defrost it) I add fruit to it - usually blueberries or raspberries.
Sarah Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 08:37 AM   #4  

That's exactly my favourite breakfast too, Sarah!

I have had a yogurt maker (basically, it's a big wide necked flask) for years but it was quite small; so just got a new one in the Julian Graves' sale, which is bigger.

I also love making Raiti - that Indian thing you have with baltis that is plain yog with cucumber and mint - mainly in the summer though as I grow mint and it's not around this time of year, fresh. Is not as nice with dried mint but still worth doing if you want to use some yog up. It's nice to use a weird mind, like giner or chocolate mint, but the classic mint for cooking is apple mint.

I also use yogurt instead of cream - one of those readyade meringue nests (pure sugar but no fat), some fresh fruit and top with your yog.

Anyone found any good yogurt making websites? I admit to sweetening my yogurt with honey as I can't cope with it unsweetened! But am finding it hard to blend the honey in. Any tips, anyone?
PhatPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 04:14 PM   #5  

m that sounds yummy...

musli type mix.... i supose is poss too.. as i dont like (HATE) milk... is an option... its odd coz i like yog even tho i hate milk... greek is gd.. less "sloppy"
dont like cottage cheese tho.. thats too mooshy...
lou1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 04:07 AM   #6  

I've never liked cottage cheese much either, til recently when I needed some in an hurry so bought it in village shop (normally use supermarket). It was that Langley Farm brand, and a lot better than the ones in the supermarket. It's a lot firmer and less liquid - also actually tastes of cheese which the supermarket ones don't! So would recommend that.

I'm with you about the sloppy yogurts too... Is one reason I make my own and live yogs can be as thick as you want them. I have to stand a spoon up in it before I can eat it - is why all those watery low fat brands are out, for me!
PhatPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 06:48 AM   #7  
Consistency + Balance

The Sainsbury low fat cottage cheese is nice - thats a firmer one with bigger curds. I'm officially 'off' cottage cheese at the moment - I think I ate much too much of it when I was doing Body For Life (at one point I was ordered 4 of those 650g cartons each week!) Now I can't think of cottage cheese without feeling a bit

I normally have the Onken Bio plain yoghurt which is okay but a bit boring - this week, as a treat, I got myself some Yeo Valley Organic Fat Free Bio Live Yogurt Vanilla - VERY nice! Not bad price - £1.28 for 450g (85 cals per 100g).
Old 01-15-2007, 06:58 AM   #8  
Consistency + Balance

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhatPhoenix View Post
I also love making Raiti - that Indian thing you have with baltis that is plain yog with cucumber and mint - mainly in the summer though as I grow mint and it's not around this time of year, fresh. Is not as nice with dried mint but still worth doing if you want to use some yog up. It's nice to use a weird mind, like giner or chocolate mint, but the classic mint for cooking is apple mint.

I also use yogurt instead of cream - one of those readyade meringue nests (pure sugar but no fat), some fresh fruit and top with your yog.

Anyone found any good yogurt making websites? I admit to sweetening my yogurt with honey as I can't cope with it unsweetened! But am finding it hard to blend the honey in. Any tips, anyone?
I can't help you there! I use honey as well - I use the runny sort and just stir hard. If you're putting it on muesli then try stiring the honey in first THEN add the yoghurt.

We use loads of yoghurt for making dips / sauces - regulars are:

Thick yoghurt mixed with finely chopped garlic and a bit of chopped red onion - we mainly use this as a dip.
Thick yoghurt mixed with seed mustard and honey (maybe a bit of crushed garlic) - this is very good with plain grilled chicken or pork chops, salad and jacket spuds.
Thick yoghurt mixed with a finely chopped green chili, a teaspoon of mint sauce and a bit of garlic and a spoonful of honey. If DH had his way we'd eat this one with every meal!