Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 01-12-2007, 07:55 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 300/180/135

Height: 5'3"

Default Brown Rice Question

A few weeks ago there was a recipe posted for crockpot brown rice (2 cups rice, 5 cups water). I only have a small crockpot so I halved the recipe (1 cup rice, 2.5 cups water) and the rice turned out really mushy. I still taste ok it is just not what I expected. Is this what happens when you cook rice in the crockpot or did I just cook it to long (or screw up elsewhere)???
RememberHowToSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 09:21 PM   #2  
it's always something

I don't have a crockpot, so I can't answer your question. However, I thought I'd post an alternative way to cook brown rice that I have tried and it works really well. No mush

This is from Cook's Illustrated magazine:

FOOLPROOF OVEN-BAKED BROWN RICE
1-1/2 cups long-, medium- or short-grain brown rice
2-1/3 cups water
2 teaspoons butter or vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon salt

Preheat the oven to 375 F and move a rack to the middle position. Spread the rice into an 8-inch square, glass baking dish. In a covered saucepan on the stove, bring the water and butter or oil to a boil over high heat. Once it begins to boil, stir in the salt and pour over the rice. Cover the baking dish tightly with a double layer of foil. Bake for one hour, until tender. Remove from the oven and uncover. Fluff the rice with a fork, cover with a clean kitchen towel; let rice stand 5 minutes. Uncover for another 5 minutes, then serve immediately. Serves 4 to 6.

It does make a lot, but you can put it in baggies and freeze it.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 11:00 AM   #3  

Thanks for the recipe. I'll give brown rice another try.
ChadsMate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 11:51 AM   #4  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

I just use Uncle Ben's Brown Rice and follow the directions on the box . . . delicious . . . only real difference with brown rice is that it requires a little more water and a longer cooking time.

You can also cook by the 'pasta method' . . . use lots of water, cook for about 30 to 40 minutes and then drain.
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote