Old 01-11-2007, 08:38 AM   #1  
Go Cardinals!!

S/C/G: 276/221/150

Height: 5'6

Default I have a question!

I was wondering if anybody knew if it was ok to drink diet coke? or any diet soda? I grew up on soda and almost NEVER had that much water, but now that I'm changing my ways, I've tried to drink water but just can't get used to having it all the time. So I've been drinking diet coke and I was wondering if that would be ok to keep doing, and I could still lose weight or will that hold me back? Sorry for silly questions I'm so new to this! LoL
Dragonfly7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 10:20 AM   #2  
Kee

S/C/G: 135/135/120

Hey Dragon Fly!! LOL i Should have read your thread before starting a new one!!! Because i just asked the same exact question. Like you i also drink a lot of diet coke and everytime i have a craving! But i just read some where else that if you drink it you will still gain weight so hopefull we will get this question figured out with the help of everyone!!!
Lose25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 01:46 PM   #3  

S/C/G: See tracker

Height: 5'5"

There is no way you can gain weight by drinking diet soda, its calorie free! the only issue people face with soda / coke..etc is that they keep you bloated and sometimes make you retain water. it could also affect your stomach area.
I used to be a coke junkie but now I only have about 1-2 cans a week! I mainly drink loads of water, herbal teas and sometimes juice.
Good luck!
JigglyBits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 02:07 PM   #4  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I drink 1-2 cans of diet soda every single day )sometimes a little more, especially on weekends), and I lost over 12 pounds in December, so it's certainly not holding me back any!

Some people find that drinking diest soda, even though it has no calories or sugar itself, makes them crave more junk food afterwards. If this is the case for you, then soda may not be a good idea, but if you can drink the soda and still stay in control food-wise, then rock on
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 12:22 AM   #5  
Go Cardinals!!

Wow that's great! Thanks guys! I am the only person in my family that can drink diet coke and enjoy it, I can honestly say I don't taste a difference! I must be strange! lol....My mom and other family memebers can't stand diet coke (or ANY diet soda) because of the taste so I'm pretty lucky because I'm such a coke junkie!!! I definitely won't stop drinking it now but I might cut back a little! Thanks a lot for the info =)
Old 01-12-2007, 06:38 AM   #6  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfly7 View Post
Wow that's great! Thanks guys! I am the only person in my family that can drink diet coke and enjoy it, I can honestly say I don't taste a difference! I must be strange! lol....My mom and other family memebers can't stand diet coke (or ANY diet soda) because of the taste so I'm pretty lucky because I'm such a coke junkie!!! I definitely won't stop drinking it now but I might cut back a little! Thanks a lot for the info =)
Yup, you are strange I definitely can taste a huge difference between Coke and Diet Coke, and I really don't care for Diet Coke. I do, however, LOVE Coke Zero (which is also a diet soda, but it's a different formula from Diet Coke).

Cutting back might not do wonders for your diet, but it might help your bones in the future. Recent studies (which are not yet 100% conclusive--more studies are to be done to corroborate) show that the phosphoric acid found in cola-type sodas (both regular and diet) may lead to decreased bone density in women (men were unaffected). Phosphoric acid is not found in light-colored sodas, so if you happen to like Sprite Zero or diet ginger ale, your bones may appreciate your choice in the future
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 02:03 AM   #7  
Go Cardinals!!

lol, Wow that is interesting! I do like all soda, so maybe I'll switch over now and then. Thanks for the info! I never heard about that!