Old 01-11-2007, 03:52 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 312/ticker/160

Height: 5'8

Unhappy I am an over eater

There I have admited it. I am sort of new. I come and go alot. I am ready to fully comit. I quit smoking 40 days ago and as a result have packed on an alarming 25 pounds. I do good all day until after dinner and then I blow it big time. I have this bad way of thinking. If I blow it with something small I figure well my diet is ruined today I might as well eat whatever else I want. I am eatting large amounts of food. Its so hard that taste so good. Until I quit smoking I didnt have a problem I was still over weight but maintained by making bad food choices not because of overeating.

So anyway the quiting smoking is taken care of and I am ready to lose weight and get my lungs working, (now that they can). Any advice on how you control your OE would be helpful. I think everyday I say ok today is the day but evening I have ruined it.
Kelly
babyfattimes3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 08:11 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/125/135

Height: 5'2"

Welcome! I can't tell you what to do, but I can share what I do.

I go to OA meetings, call my sponsor everyday, read OA literature, work the 12 steps, turn every day over to the care of God, make abstinence my first priority, and follow a food plan.

If you think that OA may be of help to you go to www.oa.org
marny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 11:57 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 163.5/142/120

Height: 5' 1"

Hi Kelly,

Replacing one addiction with another, cross addiction I believe it's called, is really common.

Admitting that one is a compulsive overeater is a big deal I think. I went to my first meeting and couldn't say it out loud until the 2nd or 3rd time. But it was such a relief as I've always known I had more than just a little weight problem, but for once I could say it front of other people who got it and didn't just tell me to exercise and cut down on my calories. If I could've done that I would have and had tried a million times. It's so much more than food.

I went to a meeting on Monday night and today and I truly believe that the support I get from the meetings is huge in my recovery. I'm really getting to know everyone as friends and there are some amazing people that have gotten over food addiction, worked the steps and have been living their lives in a purposeful way free from food. Some of them for years and years.

I was unsure of what OA was, had heard about it in the past and thought it might be "weird." But instead I've learned that the 12 steps can benefit anyone. In place of stuffing oneself with food, it holds one accountable for one's "junk" and living the best life.

Charlene
charlenej is offline   Reply With Quote