Old 01-10-2007, 10:15 PM   #1  
Operation Skinny!

S/C/G: 155/145/125

Height: 5' 3"

Wink Suggestions for veggies..

Hi all,

I am new, and today I successfully made it a week with weight watchers at home! I lost 6 lbs this first week! I am so glad to have found these boards.

My problem is that I don't like vegetables. I am hoping to find new ways to cook them. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am wanting to find ways to disguise the taste, possibly with spices and different ways of cooking. Has anyone here overcome their dislike of vegetables? Will I aquire a taste for them?

Thanks a bunch!!!

Last edited by ohhmama; 01-10-2007 at 10:27 PM. Reason: typo
ohhmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 10:19 PM   #2  
Kelly M

S/C/G: 246/147/150 WW Goal

Height: 5'5"

Hhmmm, that's a tough one. I suggest you just keep trying different ones and eventually you'll hit on something you like! In my opinion, almost all veggies taste better roasted than they do boiled in a pan...

Take fresh (or frozen) veggies, drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper, and roast in the oven at a high temp like 400* or 450* for 10 minutes or so. They're quite tasty! This works very well with cauliflower, broccoli, asparagus and brussel sprouts, carrots and zuchinni. Hope this helps!
boaterswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 10:28 PM   #3  
Operation Skinny!

S/C/G: 155/145/125

Height: 5' 3"

Wow! Thanks for the quick reply, i'm going to try your suggestions tomorrow.
ohhmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 11:06 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 205/205/135

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhmama View Post
Hi all,

I am new, and today I successfully made it a week with weight watchers at home! I lost 6 lbs this first week! I am so glad to have found these boards.

My problem is that I don't like vegetables. I am hoping to find new ways to cook them. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am wanting to find ways to disguise the taste, possibly with spices and different ways of cooking. Has anyone here overcome their dislike of vegetables? Will I aquire a taste for them?

Thanks a bunch!!!
Congratulations on your first week! Great Loss!! Weight Watchers is a great program...I'm thinking about going back on it myself. It works for so many...you just have to make up your mind to do it. I'm 48 yrs. old and yes now I like vegetables. I didn't like anything but corn and green beans when I was younger, but as I learned from weight watchers...your taste buds change as you get older. Thank God for that or we'd all be dead! LOL Keep trying different ones cooked different ways and you'll find some you like.
fatmamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 11:10 PM   #5  

Hi ohhmama...
I'm new here and just starting my long journey to weight loss. I have a great suggestion for vegetables.....steam them and put Mrs Dash. YUMMY!! My hubby and I love them this way.
whennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 08:28 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 222/215.4/200

Height: 6'0

We sautee a lot with extra lite virgine oil...I also like to add Red Wine Vinegar or Rice Vinegar and toss them with that and salt n pepper. Very yummy. We do that broccoli, carrots, spinach, asparagus etc...they can be raw or fresh frozen. Stay away from canned stuff if at all possible because they are usually loaded with sodium and perservatives that are WL friendly.
Mels4Beanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 09:31 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 351 / 282 / 135

Height: 5'3"

There are still some veggies I can't stand (brussel sprouts? I'm looking at you!) and some I hated as a child that I now like (asparagus, even if it makes your pee smell funny). Sometimes I can't stand the way a veggie tastes cooked, but I like it in its raw form (like spinach -- cooked spinach is just the pits, in my opinion, but I love the raw leaves in a salad or on a sub).

Sometimes I just steam veggies and eat them plain, with a bit of Mrs. Dash, but more often I put a point's worth of something on them, or into their cooking. Like, I'll sautee veggies in a tsp of olive oil. Or I'll sprinkle it afterwards with a tsp of olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Or maybe add a bit of low-fat margarine. Or I'll add some grated parmesan cheese to things. Or a bit of fat free ranch dip to some raw veggies. Things like that.

Trying different ways of preparing them helps, too. My sister swears if I had her well-cooked eggplant, I'd love it. Of course, the time she tried to cook it was in a kitchen she wasn't familiar with, and she messed it up and forbid me to taste it. But new recipes can bring new life to veggies.

Oh, and I am lazily addicted to frozen veggies in light sauces, by Green Giant. Their broccoli in light cheese sauce, for example, or veggies in light alfredo dressing, yum!

But just trying them out in different ways can be helpful. It's not just steamed veggies on a plate in a mound. Try creative recipes. Eat them cooked, or eat them raw. Try different cooking techniques (steamed, grilled, sauteed, roasted...) Eat them in soups. Heap them into salads, and 'splurge' on the salad dressing -- go for 2 or 3 points in dressing, instead of skimping by on 0 or 1. Or in pasta sauces, you start with tomato but you can sneak in onions, zucchini, lots of things.

Make a veggie lasagna, with just enough cheese but heavy on the veggies. Or top them on a pizza, make a super mondo veggie extreme pizza one day. Sneak them into other recipes, I used to find on some sites they had suggestions on how to 'sneak' veggies into foods to get kids to eat them. Try different types of veggies, and even vegetables types have sub types -- there are the green and red bell peppers that I like in fajitas, and the sweeter yellow and orange that I might add to a sweet and sour stir fry. Try different types of cuisines, they'll use different veggies and in different way -- Indian, Thai, Mexican, Italian, there's lots of recipes of out there.

Hope those suggestions help!

Last edited by rabidstoat; 01-14-2007 at 09:34 AM. Reason: Fixing a few typos, adding more suggestions...
rabidstoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 08:32 PM   #8  
wannabethinner

I am sitting here taking notes GREAT STUFF!!! (I love this dancing carrot)
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 04:18 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 265/261/160

I cook my broccoli and cauliflower on my george forman grill. Just put the veggies on it, use some of the spray butter, and then add seasoning, salt pepper, garlic powder, whatever you want. I steam them too, but I like them on the grill. It only takes a few minutes, so watch them or they will over cook (still not bad, but not great either). Good luck to you. I love veggies, so I'm sorry I don't have any better suggestions.

Aimee
autmwillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 04:31 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 220/197/160

Height: 5'-3"

If I am cooking meat in oven, I put chopped veggies (celery, carrots, onions or whatever) pour some italian dressing over them & wrap in aluminum foil & bake for about 15 mintues. Also do this on bbq as well.

Also take lots of different veggies, add carton of broth & water to cover & cook until tender. Then blend it all up - you will have veggie soup with no chunks. This is great for leftover veggies enjoy!
bandit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 07:39 AM   #11  

I'm not a huge vegie eater, either. (I think it is just b/c I don't know how to cook them.)

One of my favorite ways is to sautee them in a pan with some olive oil.

Lately, I have been cutting up some chicken breast into strips, put in pan with a little olive oil, and some fresh minced garlic. While the chicken starts to cook, I cut up a couple onions and peppers (1 red, 1 green, 1 yellow) into strips. I put a lid on the pan and let them cook until the pepper and onions aren't crispy anymore. I put it in a tortilla, add some salsa and non-fat ranch dressing and have a very healthy tortilla.

This is a very easy way to get some extra vegies in for the day.
Marie707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 12:24 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 93.6/92.5/85

Height: 5.4

Stir fry them with your chioce of meat and add a equal amount of soy and oyster sauce. Serve with noodles or rice. Dried egg noodles cooked to directions drain and mixed with 1 tsp olive oil and 1 tsp sesame oil is nice. Hides a lot of the taste. Have fun in the kitchen you never know what you will find.
MaryL is offline   Reply With Quote