General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2001, 01:58 AM   #1  

Default Body for Life NUMBER 20!!!!

Hi everyone!!!

I can't believe we are at number 20!!! Thank you all for supporting this thread!

A BIG congrats to MrsJim finishing up her second challenge. I started BFL before she did but here she is finishing her second challenge (I was waylayed during the summer). I am SO SO SO inspired by you MrsJim!!!!

I am doing okay. Exercise is getting better every day and I'm enjoying low carb. I am having a love affair with Carbolite products (almost all protein and eggwhites). All of their products are SO Good. Even if you are following strict BFL you can use them and add carbs. They're sweetened with Splenda and they have a swiss mocha cappucino that is great to sprinkle in vanilla shakes in the morning. Add a dash or more of real coffee and some cinnamon for a morning delight! Most low carbers say to lay off the coffee but I'm with Bill Philips that the effect is negligable. Still I try to keep it to one cup straight up and then added into my first shake of the day. I have been using Lean Body for my first shake (yum) with the carbolite cappuccino mix and coffee. It's like dessert first thing!

I also enjoy low carb Jy-Lo strawberry topping and for snacking I like Pumpkorn.

All of these things are available through netrition.com. and are compatible with Lowcarb or straight up BFL. Click on the netrition link over at L&S.

well back to my school project due tomorrow!
Happy Number Twenty!
Susan
Old 10-12-2001, 05:56 AM   #2  

To all my BFL buddies: I love you all, but I am going to take a break. I have been very depressed over my body and diet. I had a binge yesterday--couldn't take the low-carb anymore. I will still be checking in here everyday, and lurking. I want to see Mrs. Jim's pictures, so I'll still be lurking at L&S, too. I'm just in a super funk, and need to stop worrying about what is going in my mouth and how I am moving my body. I have been so obsessed that I can't think of much else. After hurting my lower body, I will probably just jog and walk for a while until I'm sure that I am back up to par.

You have all been wonderful and I am greatful for all the wonderful health tips that I have gotten.

Talk to you soon!
Old 10-12-2001, 10:11 PM   #3  
Uber-Moderator!!

Shelley - keep checking in here and at L&S. Don't be a stranger!

That was one of the reasons I don't want to go low-carb. 40/40/20 is plenty low carb for me. I feel great and don't have a desire to overeat save on Free Day.

I was hoping that we could take pix this weekend...but Jim left his digital camera at work! And now with the heightened security since Sept 11th he can't go into the mailroom on the weekends w/o prior authorization...darn it! I really wanted to get pix with the horses since it's going to be so gorgeous this weekend. Today it was 90 degrees here and just lovely.

I posted on L&S about my last C2 LBWO which was today. Here are my high weights:

Barbell Squats - 6 reps at 150 pounds + bar
Leg Press - 12 reps @270
Barbell lunges - 6 reps @140 + bar
Good Mornings - 12 reps @ 90 + bar
Lying Calf Press - 6 reps @410 lbs (on Leg Press)
Sled Calf Raise - 12 reps @270

I really wanted to hit the legs superhard this challenge. They have gone down quite a bit but I still have a ways to go (30 pounds of fat doesn't leave easily!).

This week, I (gulp) took my beautiful new DKNY Size 6 jeans, threw 'em in the warm water wash then in the cotton dryer cycle. I figured, well, if they shrink too much I can always fit into them during C3. Guess what - they STILL fit! So as far as I'm concerned that makes me a genuine size 6 (in fact, they are a bit loose - not skintight...) Jim keeps patting my butt and saying how proud he is of me. Whatta guy! Now all I have to do is get HIS butt into the gym. One of these days...
Old 10-12-2001, 10:45 PM   #4  

Aw....Mrs Jim...I wanted some pix!!! Soon, I hope!

Shelley, I know I went through **** last summer plagued with health problems and frustrated over my workouts (and inability to) and lack of weight loss. It was so difficult to live with.

I know that you're having trouble with low carb but before you give it up completely, I do suggest checking out carbolite products and also doing six meals (palm/fist) a day. Although it is not recommended to do a free day, the carbolite choc bars once a week should be okay.

If not, hang in there and what is best for you will make itself known the way it did for me. Stick around! Even if you just lurk!

Sunday will be my FIRST power workout since July. I am finally feeling well enough to go back to BFL intense workouts (I've been doing things slowly to keep up the pace). I am off from school in the coming week so I am very excited about doing a full week of BFL workouts and then keeping it up! It's been a long climb back, but I'm getting there!

Hope everyone is doing okey dokey.

Susan
Old 10-13-2001, 01:37 PM   #5  

Default Hi everyone

Susanje - so glad to hear you're feeling better and getting back to full workouts. I know how frustating it is to have physical limitations / health problems that make it hard to exercise. (I have arthritis in my spine that effects my left hip and hamstring when it flares up - there are days I can barely get out of bed, and walking the dog seems an insurmountable task, much less doing a LBWO!) My mind wants to work out, but my body is saying "no way!" But I am determined not to let it stop me.

Shelley - I'll miss you!! I am wishing you all the best and hope you come back real soon. And good luck with the puppy!

MrsJim! - Congratulations on all your accomplishments! Putting the jeans in the dryer is the true test of whether they really fit, right? You should be very proud of yourself - you're doing great!

Chris - welcome! Your website is great. I think you will like this board; lots of good people and good motivation too.

I had my hair done this morning and my hairdresser noticed some changes since I saw him last. He said, "Well, you're grayer but you're thinner!" (Gotta love the guy...)

I'm wearing a pair of jeans that I haven't had on for 2 years and I can actually breathe! I'm at the end of week 10 of my 1st challenge and looking forward to challenge #2. My goals for this challenge were to increase my energy, get back into my size 12s, and stick to the program 6 days each week. So far I've met all my goals; challenge 2 will be all about muscle gain and fat loss!

Marci
Old 10-14-2001, 11:11 AM   #6  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default Day 84 today - took my measurements...

I'm really excited about my bodyfat measurement - down to 17.8% according to the Hussman site java calculator!!!

My waist/hip measurements only went down a half-inch or so = hips to 37.5" (from 38" at end of C1); waist to 26.5" from 26.25".

I'm *Really* jazzed about being a size 6 - and plan to get down to a size 4 by January, no matter how nutsy it sounds to my sister!

I've been lifting some heavy, heavy weights in C2 - going to continue to do that for C3 but also plan to really kick out the jams for cardio. Camp Pam B begins for me on 22 October!!! Yee haw!

PS. Look out for PIX by Wednesday!
Old 10-15-2001, 08:58 AM   #7  

Mrs. J.-I found a used Smith Machine at Play it Again Sports for $200.00, and my DH says I can buy it!!! I am going over there today to make sure that the bench is included (the salesman says it is.) I'm so excited!! I don't know what brand it is, but it looks good! It also has the pull down bar for back and arms. I'll let you know if I buy it, because I'll need some tips for exercises!

Even though I won't be following the BFL program, I will be working out with weights.
Old 10-15-2001, 07:01 PM   #8  

WOW Mrs. Jim

Congratulations as you head into the home stretch! I went to the Racing Museum in Saratoga Springs N.Y. last summer and saw film clips of some of the greatest Thoroughbreds of all time winning their races. It made up for watching Point Given come in fifth in the Derby...anyway, you're a champion.

I got my shipment today from Vitaglo. I couldn't resist tasting one of my Designer Protein bars. YUM. Thanks for the tip Susanje! If you check out a website for a business called Lo Carb Connoisseur they have a ton of reviews for locarb products you might enjoy. Do a search in Google, they have a wierd URL.

I've done three practice MAS sessions and the process is easier than it sounds. NOT physically but the timing. Does anyone use a stop watch?
Old 10-15-2001, 07:20 PM   #9  
Uber-Moderator!!

Hey everyone -

Jim had today off from work to go bike riding but came in to get his camera so maybe we'll get pix done tonight!

As far as keeping time for the 20 MAS, I just go by the timer on the treadmill. If I was going to do my cardio outdoors, I would probably use my heart rate monitor, since it has a timer you can set - so it would beep every 60 seconds to let me know it's time to bring the intensity up/down.

This morning I slept in until 5:30 am, since it's Free Week for me. I'm pretty much sticking to plan as far as eating, however I might treat myself to a frozen yogurt or something tonight (betcha I just settle for a Myo Lite though).

Back to work gals!!!
Old 10-15-2001, 10:39 PM   #10  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default Took my photos...

...now all I have to do is get Jim to download them into the PC and they're done!

I just read something really great that I wanted to share with y'all. One of the regulars on L&S, Jeremy, has a free newsletter that I just subscribed to, since I find his posts so informative. He wrote a really great article in it about motivation during the holidays. Here it is:

Quote:
==MOTIVATION==

--"The Holiday Seasons" by Jeremy Likness, CFT

The time for candy, cake, and big feasts is drawing near. This month, many
families in the United States will celebrate Halloween by wandering through
their neighborhoods and stocking up on candy. Thanksgiving is famous for its
large feasts, and Christmas means cookies and eggnog. So it's time to hang
fitness in the closet, until we can pull back off the rack with a New Year's
Resolution, right? Wrong!

Last year, to prove a point, I dropped from 10% body fat to 7% body fat during
the holidays. I did this is demonstrate not only the fact that you do NOT have
to gain weight during the holidays, but that you can lose fat AND enjoy your
holiday treats.

I helped my son eat his Halloween candy. I had an enormous Thanksgiving Day
feast. I even ate the chocolate chip cookies, peanut butter blossoms, and fudge
cookies that my mother brought from Florida, while washing them down with
eggnog.

My mentor, David Greenwalt of "The Power Store" writes in his book, "The Leanness Lifestyle" that many people suffer from the
either/or syndrome. He couldn't be more correct. "Either I eat EVERYTHING
throughout the holidays, OR I suffer and don't eat at all." What about some
gray area in between?

The trick is to balance your holiday eating engagements with proper nutrition
and activity. No one feels like going on a nice, long jog after a Thanksgiving
"feast", but what about the morning after? And what about those left-overs -
there is nothing wrong with turkey breast! Cookies? Eat 'em that day, then save
them for your next "splurge meal", throw 'em out, or, better yet, give them away
to someone else who doesn't care!

Halloween candy was easy - I saved it for my "splurge meal" - the one of two to
three meals I allow myself each week to eat anything that I want to. Thanksgiving
also fell under that category. What I paid close attention to, however, was
making sure to balance the hefty feasts with leaner, lighter meals. The day
AFTER Thanksgiving, I might have had a turkey breast sandwich, then several
meals with chicken, tuna, or other lean proteins, and a piece of fruit with
some nice, leafy green vegetables. By eating "light" the day after, and "heavy"
the day before, I allowed my AVERAGE calories to remain "sane".

I took the same approach with Christmas. Cookies and eggnog were typically
timed to coincide with heavy resistance training workouts - sometimes they
served as a "post-workout shake". Again, if I found myself getting carried away,
I would have another "light" day to balance things out, and maybe even go on
an extra-long walk or run.

My final word for the holidays is this: you don't HAVE to eat EVERYTHING! Who
made the rule that you have to leave these "feasts" feeling STUFFED? I certainly
don't, and I'm happy for that. Sure, sample everything, but be reasonable. Since
there are typically a million dishes on the table, a few spoonfuls of each
should suffice. Enjoy a little bit of everything - show everyone around you that
you can enjoy your holidays and stay fit at the same time - but also prove to
them that you DON'T need that second or third plate! Why not enjoy the first
plate, then push it aside and rest comfortably until the pumpkin pie and coffee
comes around?

Enjoy the holidays, but don't let them get the best of you!
I think this applies not only to those of us on BFL, but to anyone who is struggling with their weight. We all know that the holidays are the BIG time to pack on the bodyfat. Just the combination of cold weather (bring out those heavy sweaters!) and all the cookies, cakes, etc. can really do a number on me. Who doesn't feel totally miserable come January with all that extra lard on their butt, thighs, and tummy?

For me, THIS holiday is going to be different. I'm not going to stuff myself until I get sick, then shovel in some more. I am going to stay COMMITTED to making myself a better person both inside AND out. Anybody care to join me?
Old 10-16-2001, 09:32 AM   #11  

Default two questions for Mrs.Jim...

What kind of HRM do you have? As usual, after reading about ten different brands I can't make up my mind.

I've been enjoying Jeremy's posts at L&S. Can anyone register for his newsletter, or do you have to be engaged in a challenge?

Hope you're enjoying your week off.

Last night after carefully preparing my Myoplex I dropped the glass. There was Myoplex everywhere. It took me nearly an hour to wash the floor, the dishes, the cabinet doors, etc. Hopefully exploding MRD episode will only happen once...
Old 10-16-2001, 11:56 AM   #12  
Uber-Moderator!!

LH - I have a Polar Accurex HRM. BIG TIP - I bought mine on eBay for about 50% of what I would have paid retail, it was only slightly used!

Polar is the 'gold standard' of heart rate monitors.

Jeremy's newsletter is fantastic - he is a CFT (Certified Fitness Trainer) and does sell his services on his website - but you can register for his newsletter for free with no obligation. I can't post his web address here but just go to his profile on Lean & Strong and his site addy is right there.

I haven't dropped any Myo Lite yet, but your story reminds me of a funny thing that happened to me when I was on Optifast 11 years ago. I was at a picnic and put my Optifast powder in a shaker with a diet pop and shook it. Duh! You can imagine the explosion...plus it was a hot day. I was sticky sticky sticky for the rest of the picnic (no, I didn't bring a bathing suit, I still weighed well over 250 pounds since it was just my first week on the program).

Hopefully tonight I will get Jim to download the pix off his digital camera. He got a bit impatient and only took three photos - front, back, and a 'jeans shot'. Never interrupt a guy when he's watching Clint Eastwood (even if he's seen the movie 10,000 times)!
Old 10-16-2001, 02:01 PM   #13  

Default what is it with really nice men and Clint Eastwood?

Mrs.Jim thanks for the info. I just made my first post to L&S today.

I didn't mention that I had to take a shower after the Myoplex escapade since I was in my skivies when it happened. The few sips I had were delicious, strawberry cream with banana s/f pudding.
Old 10-16-2001, 10:17 PM   #14  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default Okay gals...pix are up!

Check out the Transformation Gallery in L&S...Sorry about the shadows...like I said, never interrupt a man during a Clint Eastwood flick!

Here's a jeans pic for ya...
Old 10-17-2001, 06:38 AM   #15  

Mrs. J-You look fantastic! Your jeans look loose, too!!

Got my Smith machine and love it! It's a cheapie (I thought it was used, but it was $100.00 off.) The only thing is, the bar doesn't go low enough to do deadlifts. Now I need to get some heavier weights. It also has the thing to do leg curls on, a row bar, and an overhead bar for back exercises.

See ya!
Closed Thread