Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 01-09-2007, 02:40 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

Default What is your checklist for people with stubborn belly fat?

OK, so the reason I asked about the tummy tucks is because I am plagued for the first time in my life by belly fat. I don't know if it's related to the c/sections I've had (2) or just that as I approached my highest weight, my body stored everything in my belly fat-wise.

I've never had any issue with belly fat. All my life prior to know, it was my bottom/hips/thighs that would keep me from getting into smaller sizes. I was the person with the tight seat and gaping waist. So for the first time in my life, I can slip into smaller size pants, but cannot get them zipped and the waist buttoned.

So I will be patient and hope that I'm just losing other places first and the belly fat will drop off when it's ready (like maybe NEXT??!?! ) but it is quite frustrating to get into a new size everywhere except right in the zipper area! I could see where if things don't get better I might have to take bigger measures, but I do know I should first get to whatever my goal is and hang out there for a year to let all the shifting stop.

So until then, what is your checklist for making sure you are doing all you can for belly fat?
* Low fat diet, within calorie range
* Some ab work as part of the lbwo (would it help to do more, or is it pointless overkill to do more than 2 exercises)
* Maybe watch the sugar/fructose like the YOU people state (but I don't believe that book actually)
* Tons of cardio - maybe beyond 1/2 hour on 3.8 at 6 incline 6 days a week???

Thanks! Just want to make sure I'm doing all I can to get my stomach caught up with the rest of me.
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 04:48 PM   #2  

Belly fat is usually the last and the hardest fat to lose. Partly it's because of our gender (females tend to accumulate fat in the midsection), and partly genetics (if your family had big bellies, so will you). Having abdominal surgeries (I have had 3) certainly does NOT help. I have always faced the problem of having to buy pants that were larger because my waist took up all the room.

You will lose the belly fat, as you are losing fat from other areas- just more slowly and less noticeably. As for your checklist:
1. Definitely watch your calories. I don't believe diets have to be ultra low fat, but the fat should be from the good sources (monounsaturated and polyunsaturated, and omegas) Fat should be no more than 30% of your total calories, and no less than 10%. That gives you a good range, because some days will be higher fat than others.

2. Ab work: I like to focus on the core, rather than just on abs. You don't need to build a lot of muscle in your core area, but they should be fairly strong for functional and stabilization duties. Also, by having to contract your abs during the exercises, you are training them to look smaller and less bloated. So, doing ab work a couple of times a week certainly isn't a waste of time. Yoga and pilates are terrific to hit the abs and core areas.

3. All excess calories, be they from protein, carbs or fat, are stored as fat. So sugar and sugar products are not the culprit in and of themselves. Too much sugar, of course, means too many empty calories, and possible blood sugar complications. At this point, I try to avoid fructose, except in the occasional treat. If I bake I use real sugar, but keep baking at a minimum.

4. Cardio is a great boon to weight loss, but don't overdo it. More cardio is not necessarily the best way to go. You have to find your balance between cardio, resistance, and daily events. A cardio session should last between 30-60 minutes, depending on the intensity you are doing that day. I like to mix up my cardio- really hard for 20-30 minutes, medium for 40-45 minutes. It's not too often that I do low intensity for 60 minutes- that only happens when I walk the mall for 4 hours.

Hope this helps..
northernbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 06:47 PM   #3  
Working My Way Back Down

Fran, welcome to my world! I lost nearly 70 lbs in 2000 (and kept if off for the next couple years) but now am back up (though not the whole 70). However, I gained weight differently this time. Previously I was like you, hips/thighs/butt carrying the weight. Now it's my waist. So annoying. Like you I could wear a smaller size if only I could fasten it! I just keep plugging along hoping it will be the next fat area to go. I don't need my face to look thinner, thank you, just my belly. So you see, no advice, just commiseration, and let's just keep on keepin' on.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 09:29 PM   #4  

You know, I've been reading about the yo-yo dieting and how when you lose, you can lose fat & muscle, but when you gain it all back, it all comes back on as fat and not muscle, cuz usually you are on your bender and not really working out as you rapidly gain it back. I wonder if that's where we got our bellies Pat - from the regain. I only lost about 20 lbs twice, but yes, I would say that each time my tummy got bigger - but I was also going thru pregnancies then, so it wasn't apparent at the time as it was happening. Hmmm.............
Old 01-10-2007, 08:45 AM   #5  
Ilene the Bean

For myself if I stick to a diet of no sugar, no rice, no bread WW or otherwise, no WHITE STUFF period, I lose much better... One of the places I feel it first and it's usually about 20 mins after eating white stuff is in the belly... During the month of December I had what I called "blubber belly" it was like jello... Since January it's gone, I've lost maybe 2# but I have no blubber belly anymore... But this is just me....
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 08:55 AM   #6  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

Re putting it on in hips and thighs and then bellies...

Post menopausal women tend to store fat in their midsection as opposed to their hips and thighs due to the changes of hormones. My mother is a prime example - I am a hips and thigh girl like she used to be, now however she has trim legs and a wobbly belly!

I'd say keep doing everything you're doing and be patient and wait it out. You'll get there!
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 09:07 AM   #7  

So I can't use that reason quite yet....still shopping in the feminine hygiene aisle at the store!
Old 01-10-2007, 01:26 PM   #8  
Working My Way Back Down

Quote:
So I can't use that reason quite yet....still shopping in the feminine hygiene aisle at the store!

Fran! I can use that reason! Though I was definitely menopausal in 2000, I didn't have the belly. I remember wearing belts even though I was heavy, and now I can't, and I weigh less.... Danged bodies anyway!!
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote