Old 01-06-2007, 07:32 AM   #1  

Question Hmm I was thinking...

Ok this may sound odd but I get bored with the same diet all the time. I like all the options of ww. But sometimes I miss all the meat and things on atkins. My question is what would happen if I alternated diets every 2 weeks or so? Would it be pointless? Has anyone ever experimented with this? Thanks.
kaysmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 08:28 AM   #2  
it's always something

I don't think it would work because of the way the Atkins plan works, and think may yo-yo more than anything. I could be wrong, lol, but I see so many comments by Atkins followers that regain seemingly by just smelling bread A lot of people have tried to combine WW with low-carb, but it's been very difficult. We even tried to have a low-carb WW forum here once but it fizzled very fast.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 09:23 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

I agree with Suzanne...the Atkins diet works because of a happening in the body when you stop eating carbs-it is called "ketosis". Basically, when there are no carbs left in your body, your body turns to itself for energy-and starts using its own stores instead. It takes a few days on Atkins to go into ketosis-which is why the first week or two on Atkins is called the "induction" phase, with the lowest carbs. You are inducing ketosis.

Basically, it is fruitless to induce ketosis...and then stop the diet and go to a carb eating plan right after ketosis is achieved.

If you thoroughly read the Atkins book...he specifically states that it isn't like a reduced calorie plan-where a taste of something might not hurt-in a low carb plan-it will.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 03:10 PM   #4  

It is not good to eliminate any food group for extended times and cutting out carbs half the time would not be good, plus I don't this WW or Atkins would would like this. Your body doesn't need so much meat anyway - it's very hard on the kidneys excreting the excess protein.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 03:16 PM   #5  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Nail on the head--Aphil's note about ketosis. Atkin's only works when you are in a state of ketosis, and it takes time for your body to reach that state. By bouncing back and forth, you'll never bein that state for very long (if at all).
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote