General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 10-09-2001, 10:23 PM   #1  

Default Medically Supervised Fast

Has anyone ever been on a medically supervised liquid fast?

If so, how long were you on it?

I would like input, as I am thinking about trying this.

Thanks.
Old 10-09-2001, 11:10 PM   #2  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default Yep!

I've done it, was on Optifast in 1990. Did the whole 12 week 800-cal/day fast for an 18-month study on weight loss maintenance.

I was one of the **very few** people who managed to keep the weight off in the study though, so don't run out and sign up for Optifast on my 'recommendation'. I believe there was a 3-5% success rate out of quite a large group of women (Stanford University did the study). According to the end of study results, the average person in the study started out at around 102 kg (about 225 lb) at the beginning of the fast; at 3 months, (end of fast) they were at 82 kg (about 181 lb) for an average weight loss of 44 lb during the fast...unfortunately, most people in the study started to gain weight almost immediately after the fast was over and real food re-introduced...18 months after beginning the fast (the end of the study) the average was back up to 95 kg (209 lb).

Here are my stats if you're interested: beginning of fast 119 kg (262.34 lb - I started walking regularly before the fast), 3 months 83 kg (1 kg above the average); 6 months 81 kg (178.57 lb) 18 months - end of study - 83 kg (182.98 lb). And of course here I am now, I have no idea how much I weigh since I haven't weighed myself since July, but I bought my first pair of size six DKNY jeans (actually two pairs - the classic fit and the low-cut!) last month...considering I was a size 26 in 1990 I'd say I'm doing pretty well...

So what was the diff for me? I think I was more determined, perhaps, than most of the rest of the group to really and truly make a permanent lifestyle change. As I stated before, I started a walking program before even starting the fast, I also had a great workout video (called "Idrea says 'Yes You Can!'" LOVED it!) that I did faithfully three days a week until I was brave enough to go to a low-impact aerobics class at the local Rec center...One more thing, I joined a large women's exercise group at Kaiser for a couple of months (these aren't geared towards weight loss - we did dance steps, yoga, a little bit of everything - basically it was just to get comfortable with our bodies amongst others...) and that helped IMMEASURABLY. After the fast (feeling more comfy and with elevated self-esteem at 182) I started going to Jazzercise and just really enjoyed the cameraderie with the workouts of course!

Basically what I'm saying here is what our group counselor told us at the beginning of the study - to just think of this as a 'jump start'. Trust me I know - when you weigh 265, thinking about making 'sacrifices' for a relatively measly 1-2 pounds a week just seems like forever...

But ya know, losing bodyfat and getting healthy, lean and fit IS a forever thing - but it doesn't have to be like a jail sentence!

Good luck!
Old 10-14-2001, 01:31 PM   #3  
cookies are for browsers

Hi Team Mom,

I did a detox regimen that lasted 3 days. It was really difficult. Did it help? Yes. Was it awful? Yes. I made it until about 7 pm on the third day, then I just had to have a veggie burger.

Things to expect: stomach upset, diarrhea or constipation, a severe headache (especially if you drink coffee), dizziness, and a really grumpy attitude.

If you do this, do it right. Get a doctor to help you through it and MAKE SURE THEY ARE AVAILABLE by phone if you need them!! Schedule it for a lazy day so you don't have a lot of stress or activity to throw you off balance. Don't overheat or overchill yourself. Drink lots of water.

I didn't do it for weight loss but for other reasons (TOM related). The thing I have taken from the experience is that I know I am in control of food and it is not in control of me. I felt that all the tracking and journaling was becoming as much of my nutrition as the food itself, and it was almost like a step back into a normal life for me. Since then I do a one day liquid fast a week but it's important to note that I do have a juicer and I make sure I get my nutrients in. A fast day for me is typically between 20-25 points. This has helped me stay in control without freaking out over all the dieting mentality. This is something that definitely needs to be supervised by a nutritionist or a doctor. A lot of people frown on it but it has helped me get a lot closer to goal with a much better attitude about eating.

Good luck whatever you decide to do,

Jennifa

216/196/170
Closed Thread