Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 01-03-2007, 11:06 PM   #1  
What's this button do?

S/C/G: 323/282/150

Height: 5'6"

Default Please help a vegetarian get more protein (maybe)

I think I'd like to get more protein into my diet but I'm not sure which way to go. My average for the past month has been 84g, or 15% of calories. Now, the reason I'm thinking I'd like to go even higher is, I have a feeling this is way MORE protein than I've eaten on a regular basis in a loooong time and I suspect it's one reason I'm feeling so satisfied with what I'm doing. I've been shooting for 100g a day but obviously not making it, and I'd like to try to get around 140g and see how that feels.

However, I'm having trouble making meals with that large a proportion of protein. I have been eating a lot of beans and soy and green leafys, more cheese than most dieters, some peanut butter, and whole almonds. I kind of exaggerated with the vegetarian label. While I dislike most meat, I do enjoy fish (and have been eating it) and will eat some chicken at other people's houses. One thing I haven't been eating a lot of is eggs, even though I really like them. Just hasn't crossed my mind.

Could a protein powder be the way to go? I don't lift weights, by the way, so I wouldn't need something fancy.

I'd love to hear discussion and recommendations for a mostly-vegetarian, who feels like she's maxed out her protein options, to get MORE protein into her diet. Hard-boil eggs to have as snacks? Well, that's the limit of my ideas, and why I beg for more. How do YOU get lots of protein into your diet?
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 10:49 AM   #2  
LLV

Well, like you, I eat quite a bit of fish and I love snacking on hard-boiled eggs (with the yolks removed, of course) but I also eat lots of lean meats. Mostly chicken breasts. I eat so much chicken I'm surprised I don't waddle and cluck!

Not sure about the protein powder thing, maybe someone else can answer. But you're already doing everything I would suggest. The eggs, the beans, the almonds and the leafy greens, etc.

Do you like cottage cheese? There are 12 grams of protein in a half cup. Salmon and tuna are also good sources. Milk is also a good source. Blackeyed peas, lentils, split peas, things of that nature, are also good.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 03:35 PM   #3  
Healthy mommy

S/C/G: 246/235/150

Height: 5'8 3/4

Hey guys, I have a suggestion.

Ever tried Morningstar farms? They have things made out of textured vegetable protein and soy and it's all delicious and an excellent source of protein. They've got "chik" patties, fake bacon (I call it facon. It's delicious!), veggie burgers, tomato bazil pizza burgers with mozzarella (yum!), black bean burgers, and etc.

I particularly like the "chik" patty, on a whole wheat bun, with lettuce, tomato, and pickle. On a day when I was having fat cravings too, I'd top it with a slice of swiss and some mayo, but of course that's not always best for those on a diet. In the mornings, I'd fry up some "facon" in a tiny bit of olive oil or microwave it, and scramble some of those fake eggs. (Can't remember what brand they were, but they were delicious.)

It's all completely vegetarian and full of protein. Hope this helps.
Fat Melanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 05:02 PM   #4  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Melanie View Post
Hey guys, I have a suggestion.

Ever tried Morningstar farms? They have things made out of textured vegetable protein and soy and it's all delicious and an excellent source of protein. They've got "chik" patties, fake bacon (I call it facon. It's delicious!), veggie burgers, tomato bazil pizza burgers with mozzarella (yum!), black bean burgers, and etc.
Oh what great suggestions, I love all of that stuff. I buy Morningstar Farms or Boca, whichever might be on sale or what's available. And I looooove those "chik" patties. It's like eating a deep-fried chicken sandwich but without the fat, calories or guilt!

I do the same thing, I put the patty on a whole wheat bun, usually with lettuce, tomato and onion or whatever I happen to be in the mood for. Or I'll sometimes make myself a 'mock' McChicken sandwich, shredding some lettuce and using a little bit of lite mayo.

I'll also sometimes crisp up one of those patties in my toaster oven and cut it up into small squares (or strips) and put them on a salad. Voila! Crispy chicken salad without the fat of deep-fried.

Quote:
I particularly like the "chik" patty, on a whole wheat bun, with lettuce, tomato, and pickle. On a day when I was having fat cravings too, I'd top it with a slice of swiss and some mayo, but of course that's not always best for those on a diet.
I use the lite mayo and buy reduced-fat swiss

Quote:
In the mornings, I'd fry up some "facon" in a tiny bit of olive oil or microwave it, and scramble some of those fake eggs. (Can't remember what brand they were, but they were delicious.)

It's all completely vegetarian and full of protein. Hope this helps.
These are excellent suggestions. And not as fattening as things like full-fat cheese, peanut butter and nuts. You have to really watch that stuff because the calories add up real quick.

Great post!
Old 01-04-2007, 06:06 PM   #5  
Healthy mommy

Why thank you.

I definitely need to use lite mayo and reduced-fat swiss, I never even knew reduced fat swiss existed and now that I do, I am *soo* going to scour the grocery stores until I find it. It's probably right in front of my face but I don't notice. Mmm, good chicken salad idea, I love the ones at burger king but obviously it's not too good for a person. I didn't even think to use the chik patties in that way but I definitely will now.. with salad greens, fat free ranch, cucumbers, tomatoes, carrots, green peppers.. mmm!
Old 01-04-2007, 08:15 PM   #6  
What's this button do?

Ooh, cottage cheese, yes. I love Morningstar Farms too, though it's hella expensive. But I just made 16 black bean burger patties homemade and going to freeze them up. Well, freezing 15 .

I love tuna too, and salmon. Don't buy salmon too often but tuna lots. Not a milk drinker but I used to make awesome smoothies with frozen blueberries and soy milk.

I think phase 1 of Project Increase Protein (PIP ) will be more eggs, tuna, and cottage cheese.

I'm still curious about protein powder, though. I see a lot of people talking about it, but I haven't been able to figure out what to do from looking in other threads.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:21 PM   #7  
Maintainer

S/C/G: 216/116/125 100 Lbs Lost!

Height: 5' 1" Tall

I enjoy tilapia, salmon and orange roughy. Try a variation of fishes a few times a week. That will boost your protein for sure.
Libby1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 08:57 PM   #8  

Height: 5'2.5"

With protein powder you can easily make your own protein shakes or bars. A shake I like to make is:

.5 scoop-1 scoop protein powder
.5 a banana
1 cup unsweetened light soy milk
6 strawberries

An easy recipie for a no bake protein bar I like:

1 cup kashi golean cereal
1 cup rolled oats
.25 cup natural peanut butter
2 scoops protein powder
28g soynuts

You just mix the ingredients together, press them in a pan, put them in the fridge to harden and then cut into bars! You may need to add a little water to get it to the right consistancy so that the ingredients all mix properly, but that's all there is to it. They are super yummy. I imagine it would be good done with other nut butters too, like almond butter, but I haven't tried it.
sakuya3834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 10:01 PM   #9  
LLV

Quote:
Why thank you.

I definitely need to use lite mayo and reduced-fat swiss, I never even knew reduced fat swiss existed and now that I do, I am *soo* going to scour the grocery stores until I find it. It's probably right in front of my face but I don't notice. Mmm, good chicken salad idea, I love the ones at burger king but obviously it's not too good for a person. I didn't even think to use the chik patties in that way but I definitely will now.. with salad greens, fat free ranch, cucumbers, tomatoes, carrots, green peppers.. mmm!
Mmmmmm, yummy! I'm having one tonight, in fact. I made myself hungry for it after I posted, lol.

And the reduced-fat swiss is Sargento brand, already pre-sliced and in with the regular cheeses
Old 01-08-2007, 05:46 AM   #10  
Healthy mommy

Oooh, I love Sargento! Thanks for the tip!
Old 01-18-2007, 09:53 PM   #11  
What's this button do?

PIP is a slowly-improving success! Up to 90 grams average past month, compared to 84 previously, and 100 grams average for the past week, main changes being adding in tuna and hard-boiled eggs. This week will see an expansion of dairy protein through cottage cheese and yogurt. I'm still eating a black bean burger every day, so it hasn't crossed my mind to add more beans just yet, though that and the protein powder remain options.

P.S. Meijer (midwest chain) has Morningstar Farms on sale this week 3/$7. When they're usually marked $3.75 normal price, that's a great deal. OOooOoOooO another tip: if you plan to buy LOTS of it, first just buy a couple. You'll get a checkout coupon for your "next" purchase of Morningstar Farms. Then toddle on back to the freezer dept. and get more! I didn't do this, but wish I had, as I instead bought like 10 Morningstar products at once, got the coupons, and did a big Homer "D'oh!"
Old 01-19-2007, 09:17 AM   #12  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post

P.S. Meijer (midwest chain) has Morningstar Farms on sale this week 3/$7. When they're usually marked $3.75 normal price, that's a great deal. OOooOoOooO another tip: if you plan to buy LOTS of it, first just buy a couple. You'll get a checkout coupon for your "next" purchase of Morningstar Farms. Then toddle on back to the freezer dept. and get more! I didn't do this, but wish I had, as I instead bought like 10 Morningstar products at once, got the coupons, and did a big Homer "D'oh!"
Oooooooo, which ones did you get? Have you tried any of them yet?
Old 01-19-2007, 09:26 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 157/133.4/130

Height: 5'5"

TVP (textured vegetable protein) comes in either crumbles or chunks - you use it where you'd normally use ground meat or cubed meat - so for chili, spaghetti sauce, stuff like that. It's soy based, high fibre & high protein, very low fat. It takes on the taste of whatever sauce you cook it in.
Su-Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 10:35 AM   #14  
What's this button do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLV View Post
Oooooooo, which ones did you get? Have you tried any of them yet?
I've tried nearly all of them by now, in the past. I picked up 3 pkgs of fake beef crumbles, 1 pkg of fake italian sausage crumbles, and 2 pkgs of fake chicken patties. I haven't really tried any I didn't like yet, though I find the plain veggie burgers too "plain" now that I've had the "chik" patties and my own black bean burgers. Lately I'm really into cooking pan-type meals and freezing the leftovers, so the crumbles are for zitis and lasagnas!

The fakey breakfast stuff is good too. Fake sausage and bacon are yummy, honest!