Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 01-03-2007, 09:21 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 157/133.4/130

Height: 5'5"

Default Question on Increasing Weights

I am stuck. For weeks now, I have been doing both my 8-reps and my 6-reps (BFL) on biceps (both regular & hammer curls) with 20-lb dumbbells, b/c I cannot move the 25-lb ones. Ok, I've gotten to where I can sort of twitch them upwards - but not even to the halfway point. I feel like I need to increase beyond 20, but can't do 25, and my gym has nothing in between. Suggestions?
Su-Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 09:37 AM   #2  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

I was just thinking earlier since I have the same problems with my benches - could you wear wrist weights while holding a 20lb dumbbell?

You can also buy things called plate mates that are small magnetic weights that you can stick on the dumbbell plates. Those wouldn't work for me since our weights are rubber and they don't sell them over this side of the pond
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 11:17 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

I have the same problem, but one step behind you. I am stuck on the 15s but still eek out the last 2 on those and know I couldn't do 20s for more than 4 or so yet. I do 15@/8's, 12@/10's, and 10@/15's. The only other suggestion I have is adjustable weights if you can swing the $$. They have 17.5 and 22.5 settings. But after 25 they only go up by 5's.
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 03:47 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

If you don't have access to 1 lb. add-ons, could you try getting a spotter? I use a spotter for bicep curls, and that additional assistance really pushes me to failure. Maybe "assister" would be a better word than spotter. At first, I thought it was kind of dumb to use a spotter because there's no way I'm going to hurt myself with dumbells. However, I learned that's not the only reason to have a spotter, and having that person provide that extra boost has helped me increase my strength and, thus, increase the weight I lift.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 04:56 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I have a pair of those velcro wrist/ankle weights. I use them to increase two pounds, when my choice is 5 or better. 5 is a big jump sometimes.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 06:59 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 307/179/140

Height: 5'5"

Try preacher curls...instead of using the barbell..just use a regular bench raised to a comfortabe angle and use your dumbbells. I have an 'issue' with my left arm (elbow really) and it makes it hard to lift 25lbs so I use a bench just like a preacher bench. It's what my trainer recommended actually because I was having the same problem of not being able to lift more weight. Another thing is to try cable curls...I can lift more with cable curls than I can with regular dumbbells. Try it and let me know what you think. I just read an article in Men's Health that just discussed the same topic and it suggests that it might be the smaller muscles (rhomboids and trapezius) that are not used as much and are not strong enough to allow you to increase. If you do look on their website, just search out the article with the lying cuban press, it gives you some suggestions. Hope that helps.

Last edited by Paborsky; 01-03-2007 at 07:05 PM. Reason: forgot something
Paborsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 08:50 PM   #7  
Mel

If you don't have access to plate-mates (I bought my own when I started),
add a burn-out set using resistance tubing. Finish your set with the db's, the go right to the tube, do as many as you can until you can't lift your arms from the burn. Position your feet on the tube so that you get about 10-12 reps. As you get stronger, you can position your feet so the tubing is progressively shorter- harder to pull up. In a few weeks try the heavier db's.

Or do drop sets. Lay out 4 weights of db's. Go either up or down the rack or both, doing sets of 10 with no rest between. You'll burn out quickly, and get stronger.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote