Old 01-01-2007, 06:53 PM   #1  

Height: 5'7"

Default How often do you weigh yourself? And measure?

How often do you weigh yourself?

Why your chosen frequency?

I have had healthy scale habits in the past, but it has been awhile. Last time I had the scale accessible, I became a total scale addict--weighing several times a day, several times in a row, in different parts of the house. And the number affected my mood too much. Over the past several months, I'd had the scale hidden from myself (by someone else) and have been weighing in only occasionally at the gym, fully-clothed. Unfortunately, my weight has gone up, so I think I need more regular accountability with the scale, while also distancing myself emotionally. So anyway... I'm hoping that a peek into others' habits might help me find the right scale path for myself.

How often do you take measurements? And why?

I've read that it's best to measure monthly, but I've found that if I don't measure at least weekly, then I end up not measuring at all. And no scale and no measuring has not lead to good results for me.

Thanks in advance.
MaWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 07:52 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 229/220/129

Height: 5'5"

My plan is to weigh and measure once a week, the same time of the day each week (after a use the bathroom first thing in the morning).
PattyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 08:31 PM   #3  
Believe

I weigh in daily - at the same time each day. I do this because I'm on medication that effects my thyroid. If I see that I gain one day I don't worry too much, but if I see the gain for more than a day I know I have to lower my calories either through exercise or food intake until the weight starts going down again.

I measure once a month - I'd probably do it more often but I'm too lazy.
melsfolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 08:59 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 270/190/150

Height: 5'4"

I HAVE to only weigh in once a week, or I will drive myself crazy stepping on that stupid thing! (I just posted that was my NSV - NOT weighing myself multiple times a day!!) I will measure once a month, but I just started Friday so I have 4 weeks to go before I do that again.
Mrs Quadcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 09:29 PM   #5  
Doing it!

S/C/G: 268.5/254.5/160

Height: 5'10"

I weigh daily. I am an admitted scale addict, and I lose control very easily. If I monitor weight daily I can make changes when I see an upward trend, before it results in a "weekly" gain. I get to go cold turkey next Tuesday when I go out of town. I'm going to freak out since I won't be able to weigh for 4 days (just kidding).

I haven't measured yet. I did, however, take very unflattering photos on day 1.
108tolose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 10:06 PM   #6  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

I weigh every morning, but only record the change here on Mondays. I do track my daily weight in fitday. Seeing the patterns help me to remember that there are times where the scale will go up and down or that after several days of being the same it eventually moves. That helps me not to freak out over insignificant changes.

I measure at the end of the month and track that in fitday too. Funny, but I don't track food in fitday - I find I start to get obsessive if I track food down to the bite.
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 02:19 PM   #7  
Once more, with feeling!

S/C/G: 235/ticker/135

Height: 5'4

Once a week for both. I want to do it all the time but I have to FORCE myself not too. It's miserable.

I do keep track of lots of different places, measurement-wise, not just bust-waist-hips. I do neck, upper arm, fore arm, wrist, bust, ribs, waist, lower waist (love handle area), hips, thighs, and calves. It's been fun watching the numbers go down, even though the scale may not that week!
KnitALisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 02:34 PM   #8  
Future marathon runner

S/C/G: 310/185/Where my body takes me

Height: 5'8"

I admit I weigh myself every morning, but it's more to hold myself accountable. Because I know if I mess up royally one day, I'll see it on the scale the next day, and it keeps me focused!

I am bad at measuring, but I've committed to measuring once a month.
Raelynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 02:42 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

I weigh myself once a week because I don't like to see the daily fluctuations. I measure every three or four months because I have my trainer do that. I can't measure myself correctly.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 06:10 PM   #10  
What's this button do?

S/C/G: 323/282/150

Height: 5'6"

I think there are several possible schedules for weighing and measuring oneself, and you find what is best for you through trial and error.

Measurements I forget to do. I should probably do that on Mondays.

My personality is analytical, so I've found what works for me is weighing daily. I then input it into both an Excel spreadsheet and Fitday. Official day is Monday, when I change my 3FC signature and profile info.

This is a happy medium for me because I get to fulfill my compulsion to check it a lot, while at the same time the Excel sheet does a 5-day average smoothing curve to account for fluctuations. My weight does go up and down from day to day, but I don't have to freak out because I can see the overall trend is downward. And if the trend begins going up, I can see that too and adjust!

I don't have the patience to wait a whole week.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 07:25 PM   #11  

HI..i know exactly what you mean...i use to weigh my self a couple times a day...i was sooooooooooo obsessed!!!! going to room to room seeing if there was a difference and everything..i thought about making hubby hide the scale..but then i would bug him to death so i can see my progress..so along with food..i am telling my self not to step on it..and i have it right by my bed so i can test my will power..i havent stepped on it YET my weigh in days are Mondays...i dont measure i just try on the same pants every month to see how much the fitting has changed.
SkinnyScorp29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 08:31 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
My personality is analytical, so I've found what works for me is weighing daily. I then input it into both an Excel spreadsheet and Fitday. Official day is Monday, when I change my 3FC signature and profile info.

This is a happy medium for me because I get to fulfill my compulsion to check it a lot, while at the same time the Excel sheet does a 5-day average smoothing curve to account for fluctuations.
This sounds like something that would work for me. I already enter my input (cals eaten ) and output (cals burned) in a spreadsheet daily, and it calculates how much weight loss I should see.

How would I go about setting it up to average over 5 days of weights? Do you only enter 5 days at a time?
MaWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 09:45 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 329/223/147

Height: 5ft5

Hi,

I'd like to be able to weigh in fortnightly as sometimes the weekly loss doesn't show until just past the seven days. But I can't seem to stop myself weighing in each day. I don't beat myself up on daily fluctuations but it's like a way of focusing for the day and saying OK today I will keep on track because my weight really is THAT - think I stuck my head in the sand for years so it helps to keep me 'conscious' about it if that makes sense. But agree it's not helpful if it gets you down.
EnglishMuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 10:00 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 270/190/150

Height: 5'4"

I wish I wasn't "obsessive" about the scale, I am really not about anything else ~ I just know if I step on it before weigh in on Friday, it would then trigger that out of control obsession about it. Before this lifestyle change, if I stepped on it and it was down, it would then validate that I could eat something I really shouldn't - and then if it was up, it was like, what the heck, it is up anyways......so it was a no win situation for me no matter if I was up or down. I was like a crazy person with the scale.
Mrs Quadcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 10:39 AM   #15  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

My first thought on waking up this morning?..."I wonder if I lost weight" I had to make a conscious decision to not get on the scales. I have a brand new pair of fancy-dancy scales that I keep on the shelf in my closet. Therefore, there is a little bit of effort involved to weigh myself. I lose weight very very slowly and my water weight can fluctuate as much as 2-4 pounds a day. Unfortunately, these fluctuations on the scales really seem to impact my drive and determination to succeed at following my weight loss plan. My plan is to weigh once a week and measure once a month.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote