Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Closed Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 06:02 AM   #1  
Meg

Default Maintainers Chat - Week of January 1 - 7

Happy New Year!

I love a brand new year ... it's such a great time to re-assess and make changes (or stay the course ). It's like that brand new box of 64 crayons that you got for Christmas or snow that no one's walked in yet. All fresh and new, with unlimited possibilities.

I thought we'd try a weekly thread this year since we've been such a chatty bunch lately (which is awesome!!) And everyone should feel free to start new threads about any topic of interest -- we've had some fantastic discussions this year that have evolved in the various threads. There's always something to think about here in Maintainers!

As for me, December was probably my toughest month of maintenance in five years. Yep, I'm up two pounds from my December 1 weight and earned every bit of them! No excuses, of course, but life has been mega stressful, plus I've got a couple of injuries that are slowing me down. Off to the doc's on Wednesday for MRI results, but in the meantime I'm back in the gym doing what I can.

Thank heavens I'm back on track with clean eating! I'm right back to basics, planning meals in advance, logging everything in Fitday, weighing, measuring ... and it just feels good to be back in control. Funny how we eat that whatever and it's just never worth it, you know? I've never woken up the next morning and said: wow, I'm glad I ate all those Christmas cookies. Too bad I have to learn that lesson over and over again, but I guess this is a lifelong learning process.

I'm planning on checking in here a lot more often, hopefully daily. I guess we all have a tendency to put our heads in the sand when things aren't going well, but I for one need the accountability of a group. Wouldn't it be awesome if we all could get together face to face? But since we can't, this is the next best thing. So I'm going to be here crying on your shoulders and looking for a helping hand, as well as celebrating all the big and little victories in this lifelong struggle -- and I hope all of you will be right here with me, sharing and celebrating.

I saw Lessismore Anne and Ali sneak into the New Years resolution thread and want to hear more about the babies! Wouldn't it be awesome if we heard from everyone - just a little update - even if you're having a tough time? I guarantee that group support and encouragement make it better and easier (or double your money back! )

Happy New Year and let's make 2007 the best year of our lives!
Old 01-01-2007, 08:34 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Happy New Year Maintainers!
Old 01-01-2007, 09:35 AM   #3  

Well, my eating last night was a bit of a disaster (hot chili cheese dip and chips) but I'm on to today. Last year I would have figured I might as well eat like crazy today to, so getting right back to normal is definitely a better thought pattern. It's funny how that shift in thinking happens. It seems like that should be obvious but it took me years to work that out.
Old 01-01-2007, 10:25 AM   #4  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Happy New Years to everyone. I am recommitted to writing my food down each day. Exercising 5 nights a week. Getting some endurance on my new elliptical. 5 min's wears me out right now. Continue use of my treadmill.

I am going to try to lose 4 lbs. this yr. My weigh in at Dr.'s office is 4 lbs. higher than my scale at home. It just kind of bugs me to wake up and be 143 and go to my Dr. with clothes and shoes on and be 147. I at least want to show him that I am at my 145 goal. He is now very complimentary of my weight.

I plan to continue to post often as I need this group support.

joy, it took me a long time to figure that one out too. But, now if I do have something I shouldn't eat, I'm back on my program with the very next meal. It does help a lot to just forgive and move on. I try now to never think in the "I've blown it mentality", as far as I'm concerned now , I can't possibly have blown it and kept this much weight off. It has taken me some time but I am starting to feel more like a maintainer. Yeah!
Old 01-01-2007, 11:20 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Happy New Year everyone!!!

I'm proud to say I got up and exercised this morning! I've made goals for January with the number of minutes on my Nordic Track, # of situps and miles I want to walk. I'd like to see a 4 pound drop this month (since I gained 8 since Thanksgiving!!). It's funny, though. It wasn't the Christmas cookies that did me in. It was the wine and good food! So, the wine is GONE for this month (except for Saturday night when I'm hosting a dinner party) and the salads are back for all my lunches.
Old 01-01-2007, 11:21 AM   #6  
-

S/C/G: 245/178/150?

Height: 5'10"

Hi Maintainers. Happy New Year!

My name is Beth and I've been lurking here and in Whole Foods for a long while now. I'm not sure what's going on with me but I need some words of advice.

I'm 5'10" have lost 50 #'s since April 2006. I think I have about 20 to go but won't know 'til I get there. I've been reading like mad all your threads on maintenance to prepare for the long-haul. So far I've been happy and excited on this journey and have not really been too stressed or worried about this life-long change. However, yesterday and today I feel like I'm freaking out! I'm at a near panic over maintenance. I know, I know, I'm not even at my goal weight yet but I'm just scared. I've worked very hard to get to this point and all of a sudden I'm feeling like a failure. Logically I know I'm not after all I've alredy lost over 50 pounds. In fact I'd lost 20+ about ten years ago and kept that off.

Have any of you gone through this? I had to go put on my wedding dress last night so I could "see" I have actually lost weight. I seriously feel like I'm fat and going to regain it all. What is going on?

Sorry to be so negative but I need help, I'm scared to death today.
Beth
Old 01-01-2007, 11:23 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 190/132/135

Height: 5' 7"

Happy New Year! The last few days have been tough for me thanks to a large, large container of pistachios (sp?) that my husband was going to give to his boss and then didn't. So we opened them night before last. Nuts are a huge trigger food for me. I had a bunch Saturday night and then didn't eat dinner I was so full. Then my son and I took them to the Bronco game yesteday afternoon and gain I ate a ton more. DH and I went out for dinner with friends last night and guess what was on the table? Peanuts. In the shell. My absolute favorite. So I ate too much again and feel fat this morning. I'm taking a day off from the gym, but am definitely back to better eating. A year ago I would have firgured I was a failure at dieting and had blown it and just keep eating and eating for days on end. No more. I'm going to try to get down to 138 or so so I have some wiggle room and then officially be on maintenance. Yesterday morning I was 141. Not going to change my ticker until I'm sure it's going to stick.
Lily: Good going on the elliptical. I'm sure it will get easier for you in no time.
Pam
Old 01-01-2007, 11:30 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinnamonGirl View Post
I've worked very hard to get to this point and all of a sudden I'm feeling like a failure. Logically I know I'm not after all I've alredy lost over 50 pounds. In fact I'd lost 20+ about ten years ago and kept that off.

Welcome Beth!!!

If you lost 20 pounds and kept that off for 10 years, you KNOW how to maintain and you're NOT a failure! You can do it. Stick with us for the advice and pats on the back and you'll do just fine!
Old 01-01-2007, 11:57 AM   #9  
Mel

Welcome Beth! I think we've all felt that way from time to time. At least, I have. I keep a pair of "big jeans" from 5 and a half years ago just for those times.

This morning was one of them. I didn't want to get out of bed knowing the damage that I wrought in 8 days. It will take me all of January to get back to where I was two days before Christmas. The worst is knowing that I did it on purpose but I can't figure out why.

Back to logging, weighing, and everything that works!

Mel

Last edited by Mel; 01-01-2007 at 12:39 PM.
Old 01-01-2007, 12:23 PM   #10  
Running Babe

Happy New Year!

I'll try and post more since you ladies have such a positive energy! Being positive and surrounding myself with positive people got me below 155lbs in the first place, so I'll try and be positive.

Mel: Yup, I've done the same thing and my weight is already up... Ah well, all we can concentrate on is the future right?

Cheers ladies!

Ali
Old 01-01-2007, 02:23 PM   #11  
Ilene the Bean

Happy New Year and Happy New Beginnings

Quote:
I guess we all have a tendency to put our heads in the sand when things aren't going well....
I've done that all of October, November and December ... But this is my year and I am going to change if it's the last thing I do...
Quote:
I've never woken up the next morning and said: wow, I'm glad I ate all those Christmas cookies.
I think, I'll put that in my siggie Meg, may I?

Mel -- It will take me all of January also to get back to normal, so let's do it together and maybe it won't be so hard Ya think?

Ah well, I did start my new year with a very good run this morning... I did go to a party last night and didn't eat too much or drink to excess either... I feel quite virtuous today ... I hope this feeling doesn't bite me in the butt later, nah, I just won't let it... (my new attitude for '07)

Welcome Beth ...
Old 01-01-2007, 05:05 PM   #12  
Working My Way Back Down

Howdy, Maintainers!

I, on the other hand, was in bed and asleep before 11 last night - so no regrets this morning! And I weigh the same as on the first of December - still above my goal, but no more than I was. I count that a success. My DH is on a new medication and a side effect is increased appetite. Now he's a guy who usually has trouble keeping up to 140 (he's only 5'3") and is up to 144 now. So he's more than happy to eat cleanly with me! We have a few simple meal-related goals, and have posted them on the fridge!

2007 will be the year I get back to my goal weight/size. I've had some medical problems over the last couple months, and will see the doc again this week. Hopefully we'll get the meds straightened out and the weight will start to come off again.

Meanwhile, it's snowing here - again! We have over 2' on the ground, and had had about 3-4" already today (it's 1 pm). It's very pretty, but makes the driving icky, and our snowplowing bill go up! I see our city webcam is down - and of course the IT folks aren't working til tomorrow. But you can trust me that there's a lot of snow! Here's a couple pictures from our house, and one from the library yesterday about 3 pm - with the moon already risen.

Old 01-01-2007, 09:13 PM   #13  
Ilene the Bean

Pat, the snow is so pretty, but you can keep it ... It's unseasonably mild here lately and I just love it I must admit, I don't miss the snow at all....
Old 01-01-2007, 09:43 PM   #14  

Height: 5'7"

Happy New Year, everybody. Good to see everyone here! Welcome Beth.

An interesting week for me. The holidays were largely non-events for me, just quiet time spent with family. My parents have come and we are eating differently. Not necessarily badly, but it presents some challenge.

I'm back to work tomorrow, and am prepared for once, everything gathered together and laid out ready to go. Now I must prepare for office food, which I haven't missed in the last couple weeks. The up side of that is that it should be better than before the holidays.

Anne
Old 01-01-2007, 10:05 PM   #15  

S/C/G: S:157/C:121/G:125

Height: 5'4"

Hmmm...well, I think I still haven't figured out this maintenance calorie level thing out. Over the last 12 days or so I've eaten somewhere around my usual calorie level (though different foods since I've been out of town). I haven't done any exercise in that amount of time, and I've actually lost some weight.

Previously, I was maintaining on this calorie level plus cardio exercise 4x/week. I think this means that my daily calorie level might actually be a bit low because I must be going into the infamous "starvation mode" when I'm exercising. So, all this time, I've been thinking I need to eat around 1200 calories with exercise to maintain, but since I lose weight eating around 1200 calories without exercise, my logic might be off. I might actually be undereating too much.

The body is such a difficult thing to figure out! I thought my metabolism was slow, but perhaps my body just needs more. Any advice or similar experiences?

Last edited by Tara D; 01-01-2007 at 10:23 PM.
Closed Thread