Old 12-19-2006, 05:37 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 251/248/130

Height: 5'2''

Question GI Diet Anyone?

Hey All! I recently started the GI diet. Read the book, got hyped, and dug in...however, I know you're supposed to have a snack in between meals, but my meals are somewhat far apart (6 hours) and a snack just wont hold me over. Im HUNGRY!! LoL. Anyone know if eating a "green light" food between meals is allowed? I mean, it says as much as you want, with some common sense, of course, but would like a piece of chicken breast or something be ok? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
huniebunie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 10:54 PM   #2  

I sat down with a nutritionist to set up my meal plans. My meal plan is for 6 small meals a day. It is pretty much 3 full meals split in half to make 6 meals. Having a skinless chicken breast with a small salad or cooked vegetables is great. I am suppose to eat every 2-3 hours to keep my blood sugar from spiking. Hope that helps. Let me know if you have more questions.
littlebumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 11:04 AM   #3  

You sound like you want 6 small meals a day, not 3 meals with snacks in between. Good advice above. A snack is supposed to carry you from one meal to the next but a chicken breast is a lot of calories for a snack. Veggies with dip, fruit, yogurt, a handful of nuts, etc. would be more appropriate as snacks.

I have my breakfast at 6 am, a cup of plain yogurt at 9 am; lunch at noon, a piece of fruit with a small cube of cheese or 1/2 ounce of nuts at 3pm, dinner at 6 pm and then I quit eating for the day. For a special occasion, not more than once a month I might have a dessert or some popcorn in the evening.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 10:23 PM   #4  
Ilene the Bean

I like to have a portion of protein at every meal/snack it keeps me fuller longer. I also eat 5-6 small meals/day I feel much better and less ravenous from one meal to the next. Not everyone is the same so experiment with what works for you.
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 11:11 AM   #5  
Here we go again...

S/C/G: 176/ticker/155

Height: 5'5"/ 65 in

I'm just getting started with the GI diet too!! I'm halfway through the book by Dr. Brand-Miller. Sounds good so far.

Looks like a lot of her recipes are red meat based. I saw maybe one or two chicken/fish/tofu recipes. I'll guess I'll just substitute.

I'm going shopping tonight for my cottage cheese, lettuce and veggies.
Sunnigummi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 02:10 AM   #6  

Default Sugar Busters!

I am going to start Sugar Busters! on January 10. My birthday is on the 9th and I am eating some cake and then getting started on the 10th (my NEW YEAR!) Actually, my whole family is going to start on it! My question is how do I find out the glycemic index of foods that are not listed in the Sugar Busters! book?
c3mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 09:32 AM   #7  
Ilene the Bean

Here ya go ... Glycemic index of foods there is also glycemic index data base where you enter a food and it list the GI content of it
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote