Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 12-16-2006, 10:24 PM   #1  
White and Nerdy

S/C/G: 264/260/160

Height: 5'7"

Default Chronic Hip Pain

It's a BAD cycle.
I've had pain in my left hip since I was pregnant (gave birth Jan 2006, daughter is almost 11 months old). I was told it was sciatic nerve pain associated with pregnancy, it would go away. I did PT while pregnant, did nothing to help the pain. Was given Darvocet, did nothing for the pain.
Had my child- pain continued. A lot of days I am unable to get out of bed without DH's assistance. If he's not there, it takes a while. It hurts to move. The pain is worse in the morning, before I've started moving.
I've seen a doctor since I had my child. I was told to lose weight, did a course of prednisone, and given more Darvocet. NOTHING helped.
Um, you want me to work out? I can work out one day (do the elliptical and weights), the next day my hip is killing me. It hurts like dickens today. I fear my leg is going to give out under me (it randomly does, have yet to fall though, thank goodness). I'm terrified it will happen one day on the stairs while I am carrying my lil girl.
So, lose weight? Work out? Bad bad cycle. It hurts after I work out, so how am I going to lose weight to make it stop hurting!?
andrea464 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 12:23 PM   #2  

There are chair aerobics dvds and videos you can do sitting down. I have a bad hip but I go to Curves and have actually improved. In the meantime, drink plenty of water, and do whatever eating plan appeals to you. You can actually lose weight without exercising but you will also lose more muscle with the fat.

Have you thought about going for a second opinion?
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 09:29 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 284/259/155

Height: 5'6"

You might want to see a spine doctor. It is possible you having a bulging disc. I just had my 3rd surgery for such and can relate to the pain and fear of what is going to happen next. An MRI can quickly show if that is the problem. Don't wait too long b/c the nerves take a long time to recover...even after fixed they think the bulge is still there and will continue hurting for a little while..the longer you wait, the more damage it does.
thewife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 11:44 PM   #4  

Have you been tested for autoimmune problems? Joint pain like that can be a sign of Lupus, or Rheumatoid arthritis. I have Lupus, and had hip pain like that. Heavy non steroidal anti-inflammatories helped. You can lose without exercising...and perhaps once you start to lose, the pain will improve so you can exercise more. Good luck! I know how hard it is to deal with chronic pain...
Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 03:49 PM   #5  

You can lose without exercising but you lose muscle as well as fat and that is not as good.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 07:59 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 256/205/150

Height: 5' 6"

bursitis is unbearable like that as well .
higherfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 02:19 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 190/150

Height: 5'5"

Default Hip pain

Your first assignment is to get the cause of the pain diagnosed properly. You can't possibly work with it until you know what it is. After my "achy" hip and bouts of hip bursitis have finally been diagnosed as osteoarthritis, I've been able to alter my exercise appropriately (starting very slowly) and at this point I'm more sore when I don't exercise. Talk about motivation! Get to a doc who'll keep digging until she figures it out - more than one, if necessary.

Amie
ayaussy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 09:22 PM   #8  
Mel

After 30 years of chronic pain and fatigue, thyroid problems, other auto-immune diseases, diagnoses from fibromyaglia to "nuts", I was recently diagnosed with silent Celiac's disease which is a sensitivity to gluten. My son, who at 16 already had a lot of the joint problems and fatigue, also was diagnosed. After 3 weeks gluten free (not easy, but very doable when faced with the alternative) we both feel a lot better. All of his aches and fatigue are gone. I didn't eat a lot of gluten containing food in the first place so my progress isn't as radical.

I think anyone who has a history of joint pain, fibromyalgia, irritable bowel, autoimmune diseases, or adhd should talk to their doctor about gluten sensitivity. The current blood test has a lot of false negatives, but never a false positive. Another method of testing is done with a saliva swab to check for the presence of the genes and alleles, then a stool sample to test for the presence/absence of antibodies. These are painless, non-invasive tests. Younger docs coming out of med schools in the last 5-8 years are doing this when presented with the above symptoms. It seems to be an underlying factor in a lot of seemingly unrelated symptoms and unexplainable aches and pains.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 10:24 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 203/191/150

Height: 5'6

Default tried acupuncture?

I've suffered with hip pain also. Have had 2 children, fluctuations in weight and activity and fibromyalgia. Pain meds didn't help....and I tried acupuncture. It totally took away my hip pain. My pain would go from my butt thru to my hip, front of my thigh down my leg - crazy pain. Sometimes I couldn't walk. After about 3 sessions my pain was totally gone-(the hip/leg pain that is..) a long way to go for the chronic all-over body pain. But I would suggest acupuncture. Good luck!
leelee028 is offline   Reply With Quote