Announcements and Forum Help! Requests for help, suggestions, and information. Also includes important Forum Announcements.

Old 08-07-2009, 07:37 AM   #1  

Default Suggestion for this forum: Product that works and SCAMS section

Hi there. Im new to the forums and as much as I enjoy reading everyones post, I just dont have all day to read about products that work and ppls experience.

Suggestion: Have a section for "Products that work"
and users should post ONE product per thread (product being on the title) and their experience with it.

And do the same for "SCAMS"

There used to be an informercial review site but I cant find it anymore so I thought this would be great to add on your forums.

Thanks for listening
jadelashae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 09:42 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

We do have a forum called Does It Work It also covers Scams.

Last edited by bargoo; 08-07-2009 at 09:45 AM.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 10:11 AM   #3  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

I think they are wanting the scams seperated from products that actually work for people so they don't have to read through to sort them out..not sure though

Last edited by Onederchic; 08-07-2009 at 10:11 AM.
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 11:30 AM   #4  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

The issue is that what works is somewhat...well..controversial. I believe that there are precious few diet aids that do anything (and even fewer that do anything beyond what a healthy diet and exercise can do without spending money), but others disagree with me. We can't classify posts into "Yes it works!" and "No it doesn't!" without running into that sort of controversy.

The "Does it Work" forum covers this kind of discussion, and the question in the forum name leaves this up for discussion for each product that comes up.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 04:03 AM   #5  
Graceful Loser

I find it easier having a section that covers them both, for the same reason mandalinn82 stated. The fact of the matter is, you cannot classify a product as a scam or success based on one person's experience. I see this every day at work, when people argue over the diet pills like crazy - "I swear that Hydroxy is a load of crock" one man will say, while another responds "Are you kidding me?! I lost two inches in a week. It's true!"

I mean, it just leads to controversy. I think leaving the mingled pros and cons for every product in one big section is an easier thing for this site, and honestly, keeps us from believing everything we read!
Hamoco350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 11:38 AM   #6  

Hamoco, I see you work at GNC. I went to GNC looking for whey protein powder they had so many different ones.I didn't know which one to buy and left without any. Which one do you recommend or which one is most popular ? A couple of ideas will help me to decide. And for the rest of you not using GNC , what do you use. Identify by name so I can find it. Thanks, everybody.
Old 10-16-2009, 11:47 AM   #7  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

There are also different factors in that the weight loss industry is huge, income is billions of dollars per year. As a result, it is not unusual for us to get 'users' who come here saying a product works when it doesn't. We do our best to filter through these but there is no guarantee that we can get every one.

Also, the other thing is that I have read studies that show that marketing of a product plays on how good it will work. If a product is unadvertised and given to a subset of people and major advertisement/promotion of a product is used and given to another subset of people, up to 75% of people in the heavily marketed group will claim the product works, even if it is just a placebo.

So it really is hard to separate what truly works and what is truly a scam.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 12:48 PM   #8  

I do believe that GNC is a reputable firm. I have purchased from them before. they may have some questionable products but for the most part I think they are reliable . I just want some suggestions on whey protein as there are so many of them out there,
Old 10-16-2009, 02:11 PM   #9  
Graceful Loser

Hello bargoo- I'm glad you like GNC. There are plenty of pros and cons about working there, and a lot of pros and cons about being a consumer there; but I'll start with the basic beginning to finish with finding a protein supplement. When you enter the average GNC store (unless you're lucky enough to be near a franchise) you'll be greeted and such. Then they'll ask you what you're looking for, usually by saying "What can I help you with/find?" or the more corporate acceptable pitch, "What brings you into GNC today?"

As soon as you ask for protein, you'll be led to the Wheybolic Extreme 60- this is a P3 product. We don't get comission on this product; however, it does benefit store percentages, so it will be shoved down your throat. The GNC motto (that only the employees know) is "Don't quit selling until your customer lets you" - so be careful. Employees aren't evil, and I don't want to paint that picture; but they do have plenty of bosses above them that pressure them. We keep our job based on percentages, so it's just business.

I would politely refuse the Wheybolic, and take a look around for yourself. Are you worried about calories? Try Designer Whey - it's a great brand with a wonderful reputation that comes in some decent flavors - only a hundred calories per serving. Are you worried about the blech taste of protein? Try Optimum Nutrition or some of the GNC brands - they aren't bad. I have cookies and cream in the 100 Percent Whey (GNC brand), and it's awesome with skim milk and ice.

In the end, the protein you pick will be a personal preference - make a list of expectations you have for your supplement and start from there. Some people come in the store very adament about no artificial preservatives or flavorings, some people prefer liquid protein, some people want the cheapest, some people want the smallest container to start out with.. there are so many things to consider, that you'll just have to take your time and look. Try to weigh every option.

GNC employees are trained. We take tests quite often, and we study products or clean them when no customers are in the store- I know I do, anyway! So asking the employee is not a mistake - just be careful. If you feel like he/she is making a sales pitch or pressuring you, say "Thank you, I'd like to look around now" or something to that effect.. but if you feel like they are only informing you of the products, it's perfectly fine to trust them.

I would look for any sample packs, too. Some stores carry those in the GNC brand proteins.

Good luck, and if you have any more questions, please ask.
Old 10-16-2009, 02:59 PM   #10  
Graceful Loser

Sorry for being off topic, by the way!
Old 10-16-2009, 03:09 PM   #11  

Hamoco, thanks for the information . I will look into your suggestions. I wouln't worry about being off topic, most topics tend to wander off into something quite different than what it started out as.
Old 10-16-2009, 03:16 PM   #12  
Workin' It

Bargoo - I use the Optimum Nutrition Natural Vanilla or Gold Standard French Vanilla. A lot of the other ON flavors have Splenda in them.

I like GNC, too.

Hamoco - I have a question for you, too, that is also OT from this thread! I looked at some vitamins at GNC last week that were flavored with Splenda. Active woman something or other? Splenda does bad things to me. Any recommendations for non-Splenda flavored ones? I currently take One A Day Weight Control vitamins and am looking for something different. DH takes GNC vitamins and is very pleased with them.

Thanks for any advice!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 11:37 PM   #13  
Graceful Loser

Shannon, did you look at the Vita Paks or the individual vitamins? I believe that GNC has a vitamin called Mega Green that is free of splenda. Most GNCs don't sell many other multis besides their own brand... At our store we have a variety of GNC brand Women's vitamins minus the Splenda.
Old 10-16-2009, 11:42 PM   #14  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

bargoo - my comment wasn't directed at you, it was directed at the idea of a 'scam' forum.

A good forum to ask about protein powders is:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weig...e-training-80/

Personally, even before I stepped away from dairy, I was stepping away from Whey protein powders as they are heavily processed. I personally like hemp protein powders which are a bit more natural. My favorite is Vega. It is available online and at some various health food stores.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 04:19 AM   #15  
Graceful Loser

Nelie, that's a good thought. GNC doesn't sell any hemp protein - at least ours doesn't. I thought about trying some but couldn't find ANY nearby my home. Where do you purchase yours, if you don't mind me asking? I've always been curious about the taste of it, too. What do you think?