Yay I exercised today - November 2006

You're on Page 3 of 3
Go to
  • Way to go Sojo!

and congratualions to everyone who exercised this month!
  • Congrats Sojo!

Wed: 22 laps swimming - I seem to be improving my time slightly so I'm going to add more laps next week.
    Today: - Ok, my gym offered a free one hour session with a trainer when you signed up and my appointment is today after work. I'm a little bit nervous , I guess because I feel intimidated by the idea of a "trainer". I sort of associate them as the "popular" people of the gym and I've never been one for associating with the popular crowd. The intelligent part of my brain knows that they are there to help and generally care about peoples fitness but the irrational part of my brain assumes that they are laughing at me behind my back. But, I'm going to go meet this guy and have an open mind to what he says and I'll let you all know how it goes.
  • Thurs: 30 minutes of upper body weights.

Ok, so I had a training session with one of the gym's trainers. He took me through about a 30 minute upper body training on the machines. The other half hour of the session consisted of them taking a body fat measurement, Uggh, not a pretty number, but pretty much what I expected it to be, and then 25 minutes of trying to get me to sign up for their various training plans. He pitched the deals hard, but I just can't justify that kind of money.
    For right now I just need to focus on making exercise a habit. I do think I'll eventually add some weight training in. He made the point that adding 1 lb of lean muscle to your body burns about 50 cal a day doing nothing. So there is some motivation to do the strength training. And now I'm rambling....
  • Yeah those 50 calories really add up. All other things equal, that would amount to burning off 5.2 pounds in a year! Or the other way, eating an extra 50 calories a day for a year would cause you to GAIN 5.2 pounds! Amazing how little it takes over time.

BTW Spideranne... you are doing great with the exercise. What size pool are you swimming in?
  • It is a 25 meter pool. I usually do 8 laps of breaststroke for 200 m and right now I'm at 14 laps / 350 meters of freestyle. I'm trying to add 2 laps of freestyle a week and right now I still have to rest between every three or four laps to catch my breath.

Sojo - Are you still swimming? Do you have any kind of a program that you follow?
  • Guess we should start a new thread for the month.

I'll close this one and get a new one going.