3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Alternachicks (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/alternachicks-99/)
-   -   Alternachicks at the movies! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/alternachicks/85830-alternachicks-movies.html)

mauvaisroux 10-18-2006 04:12 PM

A bit of both! :lol:

Sojourner 10-19-2006 01:34 AM

Geez is it just me or have movies just SUCKED lately?? Hubby and I used to see movies at the theater all the time, like a couple times a month, and now we are lucky if we go once every few months. I think the last movie I saw at the theater was Pirates. Somehow we missed X3 and still have to see it. Sigh... any good recommendations?

peacock 2 10-22-2006 08:49 AM

Me and 2 book club mates saw 'Volver' on Friday - the Pedro Almodavar film with Penelope Cruz in it. Rally enjoyed it. What I like about him is he is a rare person who has interesting parts for women. Even when dealing with controversial things such as the coma patient who was pregnant by the hospital aide it never feels exploitative.

Off to see Scanner darkly on Wednesday with same group of friends.

peacock 2 10-25-2006 04:44 AM

Saw The Devil wears Prada. I avoided the book but the film looked funny. It was! Mind you my stomach was in knots - especially when Miranda's team had to fly about getting everything just so before the 'Dragon Lady' arrived. I felt knackered watching it! Was goig to dress up accordingly but I don't think Prada stretch to an English size 18!!!!! Not that I could afford it if they did!

lizziness 10-29-2006 01:10 AM

i agree with you sojo- movies lately have sucked. i really want to see running with scissors but it's getting crap for reviews. :( won't stop me though most of the movies i love everyone else hates.

I watched "why i wore lipstick to my mastectomy" tonight. It was very very good. I as pleasantly surprised. I'm not a cryer as a general rule... i haven't watched a movie that made me cry, ever. and this one had me tearing up. if it reruns and i'm sure it will.. i suggest it.

lizziness 11-08-2006 04:38 PM

Art School Confidential - I just HAD to watch it, even though the bad reviews screamed not to.... well, they were all right. just a bad movie. Very disappointing.

The Lord of War, however was very good. I enjoyed it quite a bit, even if there were a few predictable moments.

mauvaisroux 11-12-2006 04:48 PM

I really enjoyed Lord of War too. :)

We went to the theatre to see Saw III on Friday night. It was pretty good but VERY gory, sometimes to the point of being unwatchable. :p

lizziness 11-20-2006 12:57 AM

Believe it or not, I had never seen Reservoir Dogs. It was really good. I enjoyed it very much, and Tim Roth was great as usual.

Watched about 8 minutes of Brick. Had to turn it off. I'm not sure if they were trying for a film noir kind of movie or what, but I couldn't even stand those first few minutes. I only rented it because I love Lucas Haas, and I didn't even watch long enough to see him.

aphil 11-22-2006 11:55 AM

Has anyone here seen Borat yet?

mauvaisroux 11-22-2006 09:41 PM

Nope, but I hear it is hilarious!

On the plane trips to and fro I watched Taladega Nights and My Super ex-girfriend . . . both had some funny moments but were pretty dumb movies as in "excuse me stewardess, may I skycheck my brain?" but killed the time on the trips.

I've come to the conclusion that I really don't like Uma Thurman as an actress. This is the fourth movie I have seen her in where I felt that any other actress could have easiy played the role and in some cases done it better. She just does nothing for me. :shrug:

laurenporvida 11-26-2006 07:44 PM

i saw borat and i thought that it was really funny.

mauvaisroux 11-27-2006 10:41 AM

We watched a couple of asian films this weekend.

The first one was a live action film based on a Japanese anime called about a superheroine called Cutie Honey (which is the title of the film) - it was silly and funny and sometimes veered into the what the ???? category.

We then watched a Korean film called City of Violence which was really good. It was about childhood friends turned gangsters but one of them became a cop. Lot's of martial arts action, lies, betrayal, "revengence" ;) and a great scene with kung fu breakdancers and a tribute to the movie the Warriors (don't ask :lol: ) . We really enjoyed this one and could see it being remade for American audiences - perhaps by Quentin Tarantino. :D

Spideranne 11-27-2006 02:18 PM

We never seem to watch movies anymore, but we rented 4 for the long weekend.

The Breakup - I thought this would be a fun romantic comedy, but it wasn't really funny. It was more on the serious side but not that great.

Over the Hedge - We have no kids, but hubby just loves these animated movies. He laughs out loud through the whole movie. It was cute enough.

Mission Impossible 3: I liked this one. They gave it more of a personal touch and you felt like you were watching characters instead of just a series of action sequences.

Da Vinci Code: I read the book, so thought I wouldn't like the movie, but it was good. I liked the way they made it more authentic by using actors that were of the nationality that they were playing.

And now it will probably be another 6 months before we see anything new.

Leenie 12-26-2006 05:59 PM

We just came back from seeing "night at the museum" with ben stiller, robin williams, mickey rooney and dick van dyke...(and some others)...it was VERY FUNNY!!!!!

My Dd who's 5 loved it, and I didn't think she would.

Ben stillers mom is in it too (for a brief moment).

Nice to see something different for a change.

tamibeep 12-31-2006 12:21 AM

We just saw both of the magician movies - The Illusionist and The Prestige b/c they were both playing at the second run theater near here. The Illusionist was pretty weak, apart from Paul Giamatti, who rocks in socks. The Prestige was good, although Christian Bale gives me the heebie-jeebies.