3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Alternachicks (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/alternachicks-99/)
-   -   Alternachicks at the movies (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/alternachicks/58892-alternachicks-movies.html)

squeaker 03-24-2006 07:17 AM

Last night was Capote - which was interesting. I can see why Phillip Seymor Hoffman got the Oscar. It is hard to get my head around the fact it is the same guy from Twister. :lol:

Also I watched The Squid & the Whale. It was odd. It was good, but odd. But then again it was about a couple of out there writers getting a divorce and their kids.

lizziness 03-25-2006 01:31 PM

Watched Jarhead last night. I had very low expectations because I had heard some bad reviews... I was blown away, it was really good. I love Jake Gyllenhaal anyway but this was great. I wonder if people had a problem with the timing of the movie, since we are at war again. Whatever it was i think they were wrong.

squeaker 03-25-2006 06:21 PM

Go see Inside Man!

It was awesome. I really enjoyed it. And to be honest - I love both Denzel & Clive Owen. I can think of a lot worse ways to spend an afternoon, then to watch the 2 of them. But the movie really was cool.

jules1216 03-25-2006 06:33 PM

Squeaker--I want to see Inside Man but my daughter wants to go see V is for Vendetta which looks good too! Son turns 21 April 1--maybe I'll take him to see Inside Man--I love Denzel too!!! How could you not????

lizziness 03-26-2006 03:52 PM

Saw V for Vendetta yesterday and really liked it a lot. I was surprised because I went with the lowest of expectations, not being much of a fan of the trend to make movies out of graphic novels/comics... I was expecting to hate it and maybe take a nap. :) But it was really good and I was glad I saw it. I can see why there was a bit of controversy but I thought it was great and enjoyed the messege I got from it.

Also watched the fourth installment of Harry Potter - goblet of fire I think. It was disappointing, the third was so good and I felt that there was a lot missing from the story. It felt like they were assuming you had read the book and could follow along with the missing parts. Very disappointing.

jules1216 03-26-2006 06:19 PM

Son's girlfriend is going to the movies with her 16 year old brother--she wasn't sure what they were going to see but she wants to go see V for Vendetta too. The two girls and I are going to take my son for his bday.

Just watched What Lies Beneath with Michelle Peiffer and Harrison Ford--good movie!

ajandpj99 03-27-2006 05:41 PM

I agree with Lizz on the HP 4 - while I enjoyed the movie it did feel a bit like they assumed you had read the book (Which I had so maybe that is why I enjoyed the movie) - and the first 3 movies did a much better job of detailing. I think WB is trying to hard to churn them out before the actors outgrow the rolls - sad part is that JK hasnt even started book 7 and the movies for 5 and 6 are already in production - They left alot out that will have to be accounted for in the next 2.

SAW II - it was good - and I was happy that they came up with a way to suprise us at the end

Lava Girl/Shark Boy - this is a kids movie and the beginning is a bit hard to stick with if over 8 years old but once it got going - it was actually pretty good

lizziness 04-09-2006 03:34 PM

Watched two movies last night. The first was 11:14 which was really good. I was surprised at how good it is. Kinda had the same feel to it as Crash, in that we were watching the story in pieces from different perspectives.

The other was Saw 2 which was mediocre, if that. The story is still interesting, otherwise we probably would have just turned it off. The acting was terrible and the cut scenes they kept doing were excessive, not artistic. First one was better - we shall see how the third one goes.

Tani 04-10-2006 10:17 AM

We saw Brick on Friday, I loved it. Great dialogue, casting & music. Some of the scenes are still rolling around in my head 3 days later.

mauvaisroux 04-13-2006 10:01 AM

We've been watching the Firefly series on DVD this week. I'm really enjoying it although I don't think I would have enjoyed watching it on t.v. as much with all the commercial breaks. We've watched 6 episodes so far and I think we will buy or rent the Serenity movie. :)

lizziness 04-15-2006 09:21 PM

finally watched brokeback mountain. honestly, i don't see what all the fuss was about. first, there were so many people i work with complining about how "graphic" it was. and honestly, i disagree. i've seen more graphic gay love scenes on Six feet under. second, the thought that it was a great love story- i guess i just didn't feel it. needless to say, i was disapointed. it was a good movie, but imo not a great one.

mauvaisroux 04-15-2006 11:44 PM

We watched the rest of Firefly today and then Serenity - we both really enjoyed the series and the movie. It's too bad the show was canceled :(

lizziness 04-16-2006 01:32 AM

i agree, mauv. i was kinda hoping that the movie coming out would cause them to start the show back up. disappointing.
we just got serenity in the mail today, can't wait to re-watch it.

speaking of re-watching, i was in a weird mood and had to pull out Stephen Lynch live at the Del Rey. It is just so hilarious. I can't get enough. It's a sickness, really. :)

lizziness 04-23-2006 03:43 AM

watched a couple movies off the top 50 indie movie list. first was the descent which is a horror movie and was really quite good. horror is usually a genre i concede to watch but rarely get into or enjoy. this movie made me jump like 3 or 4 times and holler once too. i was impressed. :)
the other one was called dead mans shoes. it was an interesting story of a man getting revenge, violent and a lot of drug use.. but difficult to understand what they were saying. it is brittish but following the conversation is tough. the story made it worthwhile though.
also finished up Oz finally, we've been watching the series for a few years, yeah i know we're a few years behind. :) it was excellent.

mauvaisroux 04-23-2006 04:35 PM

We watched the Brothers Grimm - silly but fun! :) Then we watched Lord of War starring Nicholas Cage - I really enjoyed this one though there the subject is kind of depressing and there was a lot of violence.