3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Alternachicks (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/alternachicks-99/)
-   -   Cookbook favorites? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/alternachicks/57649-cookbook-favorites.html)

lizziness 05-09-2005 12:52 PM

Cookbook favorites?

Hey everyone. I'm on the search for a good cookbook. Not a diet like SBD or Atkins really, but just a good low cal/low fat type of cook book. I was really hoping to find a Calorie Commando cook book. I really like that show and watch a few others of his, but I sure can't find it anywhere.

Any other suggestions? I have my mom's old "the new dieter's cookbook" which is nice, but most of those are not realistic recipes. I am looking for something with ingredients i have heard of and can actually find in the grocery store. :)

I liked a lot of the recipes that came with WATP but there weren't very many of them.

Anyone have a favorite that they'd like to tell me about?

Tani 05-09-2005 01:37 PM

This isn't a cookbook, but I really like "Cooking Light" Magazine. It has tons of great recipes. I made three different curries from last months issue :)

mauvaisroux 05-09-2005 01:44 PM

My 3 favorite cooking magazines are Cooking Light, Eating Well and Vegetarian Times.

Favorite cookbooks I own are from Weight Watcher's: Take Out Tonight, 15 Minute Meals, Six O'Clock Solutions and In Good Time (Slow cooker cook book). These feature delicious recipes that are great even if you are not on WW, they are also relatively easy and do not require a multitude of exotic ingredients or 3 hours to cook :lol:

Other ones I enjoy are Suzanne Somers books. She has several out right now and although I am not "Summersizing" I do use the recipes in the books. The one I use most often is "Eat Great-Lose Weight". I have not tried her dessert book though as I am not really a big fan of desserts.

My favorite vegetarian cookbook is the Vegetarian Times cookbook. :eating2:

ggbun 05-09-2005 02:57 PM

I've always been a fan of the Anne Lindsay cookbooks. They were late-90s "heart smart" books & I still have two. For muffins, pancakes and the carby-kinds of comfort foods I can't live without, her recipes are great and I make them just as often when I'm not dieting. I have a carrot-bran muffin recipe that people freak for out of her Light Cooking. There are lots of salads soups & main courses too. Otherwise, for main courses I mostly just try to de-fat the recipes I make all the time. - I should point out that she is Canadian, and I don't know if they would be available everywhere.

hannah_phi 05-09-2005 03:05 PM

Cooking Light magazine puts out a cookbook every year, which is a coolection of all the recipes from the previous year. If you buy the current year's cookbook it also gives you a code to access their website. I have their cookbooks for 2002-the present. I really love them.

I have another couple of vegetarian low-fat cookbooks that I love. I'll post those when I get home.

lizziness 05-10-2005 11:54 AM

Thanks for the suggestions gals! I was actually ogling the Cooking light cookbook this weekend. We had the magazine for a year and really liked it, used a few of the ideas, but found that a lot of the recipes had huge ingredient lists and well, we are cheapskates. *L*

I also have the Suzanne sommers eat great lose weight book. I haven't tried a lot of the recipes but I have tried some, and they were good. I completely forgot about it to be honest with you. *L* I tried Somercizing and it just didn't work for me. I think it will work great as a maintainer's lifestyle but for serious losing of weight... it didn't seem to work too great.

The only thing I find disappointing about a lot of the diet books that include recipes is the fact that they don't have pictures. I like to see whether or not some of the stuff is appetizing. *L* I think the main thing I am trying to find a a balance. Diets just don't work for me. Maybe I should check out Weight Watchers recipes because they don't really deny you anything.

Thanks for your suggestions! I am definately going to check out cooking light's book and some of the weightwatcher's books. There are a ton of them.

ellis 05-20-2005 09:30 AM

I can also highly recommend the Anne Lindsay cookbooks if you can get them in the States. :yes: They're excellent.

Tani 05-29-2005 08:44 PM

I bought a new cookbook a couple of weeks ago that I'm absolutely in love with. It's called "Conscious Cuisine" by Cary Neff This cook book emphasises whole foods/less processed foods, which I'm really into.

I made Banana-Nut Bread from this book today, and I must say it's amazing. It's wonderfully moist and tasty. Each slice has 120 calories, 3g of protein and 1.5g of fat.

I've also made some salad dressings (yogurt/tofu based) and baked falafel from this book so far. Every recipe has been a hit. :D

mauvaisroux 05-30-2005 09:41 AM

Thanks for sharing this info Tani - I am a big proponent of eating fresh food and making my own meals at home and trying to use the least amount of processed food possible.

I will try to find a copy of this book :)

Goddess Jessica 05-30-2005 07:02 PM

I adore Kathleen Daelemans, she does the Cooking Thin series on food network. She has two cookbooks Cooking Thin http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846 and Getting Thin and Loving Food http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...e&s=books&st=* Good stuff.

mauvaisroux 06-03-2005 07:36 PM

Anyone have Cooking by Moonlight? It's sort of a witchy/Wiccan cookbook I saw at the bookstore the other day. Wasn't sure if I wanted to spend the $16.00 on it. Anyone have any info or opinions on it?

Goddess Jessica 06-04-2005 02:20 AM

I've been really disappointed in recipes I've found in pagan books. I don't know what it is but they never seem to turn out anything more than average. My mother, however, loves this cookbook that I can't remember the name but it's about the religious ceremony and purpose of food in all sorts of religions. Darn it. I'll try to remember the name.

VelvetCyberpunk 06-04-2005 02:34 AM

I have to agree with the others here who have already mentioned it. Cooking Light is the best publication for delicious yet low fat, and healthy dishes. I love the variety that you get, and I especially love the mediterranean recipes. Yummy!