Closed Thread

Old 12-23-2004, 10:40 AM   #61  
Gotta move my Thang!

SeeCat, I'm with you - going to a movie where I expect kids to be can be fun to hear them enjoying themselves. DH and the In-Laws and I went to see The Incredibles, and there were 'boatloads' of kids there. They all were having a fabulous time, and there was one little girl behind us who kept exclaiming over the trailers "that was really funny," she'd say, as if al lthe people laughing didn't quite get it. It was hilarious at the time.

Mauvais - Rock on for you with those teens - I bet they are more polite in the movies now.

I do have to say though, I am sometimes compelled to whisper humorous comments to my DH during a movie but I lean in close and restrain myself to one or two per film, unless the film is so laughably bad that I can't help it. Too many hours watching MST3K and Rocky Horror, I guess.

Haven't seen Lemony Snicket's yet - but I'm excited about it! Hopefully right after Xmas we can go.

Ciao!
Old 12-23-2004, 11:32 AM   #62  

Height: 5'-2"

I married into a family that all talk while watching movies at home. It drives me CRAZY!! I want to get right into the movie, but they're all calling across the room to each other! "Did you hear that?!?!" "Wasn't that hilarious!?!?" "I love that actor, don't you?!?"
Now my own KIDS do it! aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh!!!
Old 12-23-2004, 02:05 PM   #63  
Pending Email Confirmation

I married into that family too. I feel your pain. Hubby and I tried once to have them watch Donnie Darko and none of them got it or enjoyed it even because you have to pay attention to the movie. They are all about the mindless entertainment in that family. Hubby and I like artful movies. So we just don't watch them with his family. I took his mom to Shrek and she talked through it and I told her we'd never go again if she did it again. *LOL* So rude.
Speaking of Shrek, I got Shrek 2 in my netflix the other day. So I'll be watching that this weekend as well as Dodgeball. A nice mindless entertainment non commital movie weekend. Which means I can finish my cooking for christmas and not worry about missing anything. *LOL*
So, I think we should take a poll to get away from the *****ing that I started on the board about movies...
What's everybody's favorite holiday movie?
Mine is Mixed Nuts.
Old 12-23-2004, 02:16 PM   #64  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Fave Christmas movie.....The Ref starring Dennis Leary - makes me laugh everytime
Old 12-23-2004, 03:03 PM   #65  
Rattie Lover

Well, I felt good enough to go with hubbis to grab a bite to eat and see a movie. So...we went and saw "Meet The Fockers" last night. It was funny but it's one of those you could save until it comes out on DVD. Barbra Striesand played a good part of a sex therapist. Dustin Hoffman acts all goofy. Nothing like his part in Rainman. I'd say it wasn't worth the $8.00. Wait for the DVD or matinee.
Old 12-23-2004, 04:30 PM   #66  
Gotta move my Thang!

Fave Xams film is "A Chrsitmas Story" - the one where the blond kid with the glasses goes through Christmas with his crazy 50's-era family. I love his little brother wrapped up in a puffy snowsuit, unable to get up. "Randy lay there like a slug, it was his only defense." That's crept into the language with a certain group of friends. *snort* Haven't seen that in while, maybe I should add it to the queue!

But the Ref is a hoot too, good pick Mauvais!

Solarmama
Old 12-23-2004, 05:29 PM   #67  

Favorite holiday film: to many to chose from. Probably White Christmas, Meet Me In Saint Louis or A Christmas Story.
Old 12-23-2004, 05:45 PM   #68  

Mine is Going My Way, with Bing Crosby. (who I normally can't stand) Talk about a tear jerker! I love the old priest.
Old 12-23-2004, 06:18 PM   #69  

Ooooh....I forgot about Holiday Inn with Bing Cosby.
Old 12-23-2004, 07:23 PM   #70  

I never thought about Meet Me In St Louis as a holiday movie. That is my all time favourite musical. I love Margaret O'Brien when she's singing about being drunk last night.. dear mother.

I also love A Christmas Story. I always joke about the little kid who can't put his arms down because I have a coat like that myself.

Is Holiday inn the movie where they ares snowed in? I saw that a very long time ago and enjoyed it. Should rent it again.
Old 12-23-2004, 07:39 PM   #71  

Couln't resist jumping in here. Love both "White Christmas" and "Holiday Inn". they're the same movie, just different casts except for Bing Crosby, who's in both of them. Also "White Christmas is in color. I'd forgotten about "Going My Way." The grammar school nuns showed that to us every year (Along with "Bells of St. Mary's") Bing Crosby sings "Tura Lura Lura" (Sp?) to the old priest played by Barry Fitzgerald. a real tearjerker, especially when the church burns down. "A Christmas Story" was on TCM last night. I tried to watch it but got fed up with the narration. Maybe I should have stuck it out.
Old 12-24-2004, 12:27 AM   #72  
WW Moderator

We saw Lemony Snicket today. Dark, yet heart warming. Excellent, and very well done.
Old 12-24-2004, 10:25 AM   #73  

Oh, yes...the Bells of St. Mary's...sniffle, sniffle....yep at tearjerker that one...

Lizziness - yes that is the one! I never get tired of watching that each year. That and the old black and white version of A Christmas Carol - that one is my Dad's favorite and we watch it every year.
Old 12-24-2004, 01:37 PM   #74  

I've never watched a single full version of A Christmas Carol, or of Its a wonderful life either. My family always went for funny over sentimental. I've seen the National Lampoons Christmas Vacation about a 100 times though.

Speaking of fun old movies, even though it's not a christmas one, I love "arsnic and old lace" has anyone ever seen that? It's more of a Halloween type movie though.
Old 12-24-2004, 04:37 PM   #75  

Oh, yes... we have Arsenic and Old Lace! With Cary Grant! It's a great movie.
Closed Thread