Closed Thread

Old 11-28-2004, 02:19 AM   #46  

I loved the first Briget Jones but was disappointed in the second one.

This time of the year, the movies come to me, or more precisely, to my husband, cuz voting Academy members get DVDs of all the current movies starting in the fall until after the awards. It's a great perk but boy what a bunch of lousy movies this year. DeLovely was especially De-Lousy & double De-pressing!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziness
I'd love to see that, Finding Neverland. Also on my list is the second Bridget Jone's. I loved the first one, which is weird cause I usually don't like those types of movies, but I really liked this one.

There are a lot of good movies coming out this winter, I can't wait to see some of them... though usually we just wait til they come out on DVD. *L* Lazy people with no car don't often go to the movies.
Old 11-28-2004, 02:55 PM   #47  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

Hi all,

I went to check out National Treasure with the cute guy - bummer it was all sold out so we saw the Grudge instead. What a dumb movie! It was inconsistent because too many people that should have died lived. I guess the ghost was just choosy.

Tiki.
Old 11-29-2004, 10:55 AM   #48  
Searching

We saw National Treasure, it was good. Purely entertainment, no depth. But for a good time and if you enjoy movies with a fast pace and adventure, go for it!

Chris
Old 12-18-2004, 10:31 PM   #49  
Pending Email Confirmation

We watched Knockaround guys. I wouldn't recomment it. Not anything even to say about it, except that John Malcovich as a gangster does not work. He just comes off queer (in the strange sense, more than in the homosexual sense, although that too).
I enjoyed the Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. It was hard to get into at first, but once you put the pieces together it gets very interesting. Very imaginative idea.
My favorite that I've watched lately is Party Monster. I watched the movie first, with Macauley Culkin and Seth Green and then I wached "shockumentary" and the movie was very good, true to life. I think both actors did an amazing job, but after seeing the real interviews with James St. James, I have to say Seth Green did a dead on performance. Worth the watch. And the adorable boy from My So Called Life was in it. And I just love him in anything.
Off to watch Dodgeball. We'll see... *L*
Old 12-20-2004, 02:51 PM   #50  

We we went to see a movie in the theater for the first time since... umm.. the last Matrix maybe? It's been a while. And I am now reminded of why...
There was a baby in the show. Just old enough to walk. And it's mother let it walk around everywhere, chasing it around when it went too far away. So he was coming up to everyone. When she'd pick him up he would cry, and she just let him. In the theater. During the movie. What the ****? One lady got so mad she made a comment and moved. I finally got up and complained. The kid at the theater went in and talked to her and she stopped letting him wander, but he was still crying through the movie. This behaviour for a parent is completely unacceptable to me, but is becoming more and more common. This is the second movie in a row to be ruined for me by rude people. I won't be going to the theater again unless it is a movie of Lord of the Rings porportions. This is the real reason people download movies. I cannot stand spending 18 bucks to listen to some kid scream. And then for the theater not to do anything about it.
Okay, I'm done with my rant. What I saw was Neverland and what I could hear of it was good. It's PG, but if I were a kid I'd be bored out of my mind. Other than that, it's a great movie.
Old 12-20-2004, 03:01 PM   #51  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Oh yeah, we always go to the 9:00 p.m. or later shows -it seems that bratty kids, irresponsible parents, obnoxious teens and rude people are always at the earlier shows

We went to see 28 Days Later a couple brought their 4 year old - and then we saw Jason v Freddy and a couple brought their 3 year daughter - they both behaved but IMHO these were not movies suitable for children that age
Old 12-20-2004, 03:12 PM   #52  
Cute & Fluffy

S/C/G: 219/217/150

Height: Short!

Quote:
Originally Posted by K8-EEE
I loved the first Briget Jones but was disappointed in the second one.
The 2nd one wasn't that great, but ok for a mindless 2 hours (which is exactly what I was looking for).
Old 12-20-2004, 04:35 PM   #53  
Gotta move my Thang!

Default Not actually AT the movies...

Hidey-ho!

The DH & I are thoroughly enjoying our Netflixx membership - the most interesting two we've seen lately are...

Yellow Submarine - wow, that was trippy!

and a Japanese film called "Tampopo" which was trying to show the Japanese's relationship with food as interpreted through the lens of 1980's Japan, and loosely revolved around an 'urban cowboy' type helping a young widow to make the perfect bowl of ramen noodles in her noodle shop. It was quirky and weird, and I probably missed a lot of the subtlety in the translation of the subtitles, but also gave a interesting window on the culture that I don't get from my more usual anime, Gamara and Hello Kitty windows.

We also rented "Eat, Drink, Man, Woman" which I only recently realized was directed by Ang Lee. I had seen the film in the theater when it was out, but wow, what a great story about just the everyday lives of one family. And the cooking scenes - beautiful to look at, and maddening because no one eats!

Just my two...
Solarmama
Old 12-21-2004, 02:08 PM   #54  

solarmama- isnt netflix wonderful? we've been with them since the beginning. from our last theater going experience, i think we'll stick to it for quite a while. *LOL*

mauv, it's completely inconcievable to me. like, we know not to go see kid-ish movies without expecting there to be kids there. but once we were watching "From ****" which was pretty greusome and these people had their 5 & 6 year old aged kids in the front row. Luckily they were bored and went to sleep, but that is so inappropriate. I just can't imagine taking a little kid to a movie until they're old enoguh to sit still, or if it's something that i know will hold their interest. and there is absolutely no reason for a toddler to be at any movie theater in my opinion. then again, i don't have kids.
Old 12-21-2004, 03:06 PM   #55  

I just saw Kinsey and it was very good. It might be a bit too explicit for some folks taste, but I am pleased to report that there were no children in the theater.

I just do not understand bringing kids to movies that will either bore them or scare them. At a certain point I think that the rating system is a bunch of hooey, but 5 year olds do not belong in any movie that does not feature talking animals or animation.
Old 12-21-2004, 06:38 PM   #56  

Height: 5'-2"

Lizzi, that's just dreadful. Those people should have been booted from the theatre with their kids.
DH and I once were DYING for a movie date shortly after we had our first child. We went into the theatre, and I figured she'd sleep or nurse throughout the movie, but she started crying. We left immediately, and were refunded our money. There was NO WAY we were going to put other people through grief for our sakes!
Old 12-22-2004, 01:10 AM   #57  

ellis - yes, because you are an actual human being!! aparently we are running short on them here in the states. I actually had a group of drunk adults ruin the movie i went to see before this last one. talk about bad luck with movies.

Now, on the plus side for the movie theater, I did send them an email and they apologized and are sending us free movie passes. We'll see if we try again. *L* I think that was nice of them, they really couldn't do much more after the fact.

SeeCat - i agree on the movie ratings system. first of all, a parent should use their own better judgement regarding their children and what they deem is appropriate. Also, there are times when I wonder how their guidelines work. For instance, The Grinch movie with Jim Carrey was perfectly fine, but there's the one scene that he's sliding down this hill and screams "oh ****" no big deal to me, but it did seem unnecessary.Especially in a childrens movie.
and then the movie we watched last weekend which was good, and there wasn't anything inaprorpiate in it, however by putting a PG rating it's like saying it's a movie for kids. Which it just wasn't. They don't really make any sense. I really think just using your own judgement is fine. However, i do think that if a movie is rated R little kids shouldn't be allowed in it, for the comfort of other people viewing the film. Whatever you let your kids watch at home is your business.
Old 12-22-2004, 09:22 AM   #58  

Yep- when I went to see the Harry Potter films I fully expected lots of kids and I never had a problem with any of the screenings I went to. The kids were really into the movie and only talked when they oohed and ahed over a scene in the film.

The problem with some of the films bering rated pg or AA (adult accompaniment for children under 14) is that the twits who brought the kid to 28 days later were within their rights - their kid was under 14 and accompanied by an adult I think they should change that rating to no children under 14 admitted.
Old 12-22-2004, 12:01 PM   #59  

I think that part of the problem is that folks look at the rating (pg/r and so forth) and do not look at why it is rated as such. There is a lot of control that parents can exercise over what their children watch, but they have to be informed about what they are going to see.

Incidently, I love seeing childrens movies with children. It was just the cutest thing going to see Shrek 2 with a boat load of kids and having them so into the whole thing. I do not mind that the whole theater of kids is talking to the screen becuase that is my expectation. However, that is not my expectation when I go to see a serious grown-up movie.
Old 12-22-2004, 01:08 PM   #60  

I totally agree! When I see a kids movie I expect kids to be excited and talking - but when I see regular movies then underage kids shouldn't be there and teens and adults should not be talking throughout the film.

I was at a movie where the two teen girls in front of me where talking about nothing related to the film - i.e. who is dating who, who broke up with who, hair & makeup crap- that I could hear them over the clanging of swordfighting in the movie after saying shhh! several times and giving them "the look of death" eye I finally leaned over and said "Would you two shut the **** up!?!? I paid to see a movie not to hear you two gossip!!!! loud enough for 1/2 the audience to hear. Well they just about jumped a foot out of their seats and then slunk down and were quiet for of the film. I felt kind of bad for scaring the crap out of them afterwards but did get to see my movie in peace.

I also get annoyed when you are watching a horror movie and someone in the audience starts jokingly fake sreaming during an unscary part or just as the film is leading up to the scary part and wrecks the movie for the rest of the audience members

Or those who have to give the person they are sitting beside a blow by blow commentary of the movie as it is unfolding - if you want to discuss then go for a coffee afterward and talk about it! Or the person who has seen the movie already who says to their friend during a key plot point - "Oh, this is a good part" or "this is where the guy dies" or "it's okay they are only faking" GRRRRRRR!!!

Okay - moviegoing rant over!

Anybody seen the Lemony Snickets movie yet?
Closed Thread