Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2005, 10:00 AM   #16  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

OOOOHHHH! I love 40's style clothing and shoes!

I think I will put some money aside for some new summer clothing. I am tired of my old stuff and if I have my way (weigh? ) it will all be too big by then!
Old 01-27-2005, 11:19 AM   #17  

Height: 5'-2"

Solar (and anyone else who's interested ), one of the other Mods told me that she pays for everything with bills only. She doesn't use her change, but throws it all into a jar. I thought that was a great idea, too! I always have a shipload of change, and it would quickly add up!
I've picked up a bunch of coin roller thingys at the dollar store.
Old 01-27-2005, 01:25 PM   #18  

Ooooo...I like the idea of rewards. I have no idea what though. I am hesitant to buy clothing while I am still losing becuase it will (hopefully) not fit for long, but at the same time, having stuff that fits well is a really good incentive to work harder becuase you can just tell tht it looks better. Hmmm.

I like the jar idea also. I am pretty broke, so the idea of doing things week by week and adding it all up is rather atractive.
Old 01-31-2005, 04:46 PM   #19  

My 20 pound reward is a bottle of Jo Malone Nutmeg and Ginger fragrance. I got the Lime, Mandarin and Basil for Christmas. I am nearly there!!! End of March hopefully!!!!
Old 01-31-2005, 05:02 PM   #20  

Ooooh, that sounds wicked, Kykaree!!
I wonder if we have that over here...
Old 02-01-2005, 02:34 AM   #21  

Jo Malone's US site

You can buy her stuff on the internet, I didn't look at the prices, I am sure it's expensive! ut I'm only gonna lose that 20 pounds once I hope!!!
Old 02-01-2005, 06:53 AM   #22  

It looks like lovely stuff! Thanks for the link!
Old 02-27-2005, 12:38 AM   #23  

S/C/G: 237/145/136

Height: 5' 6"

Arrow Concept of Motivation

Being a parent, teacher, and human being, I can say that rewards only work when the reward "motivates" the person to change behavior. Choosing a reward that one would have received in any case, does not motivate the person to change behaviors. Example: a teenager cares only about driving and money. Therefore, only those things will motivate them. A toddler cares only about immediate gratification items. An adult with significant amounts of money/credit is not as motivated by a $10 a pound reward. Obviously, all people who are successful at losing weight will be purchasing new clothes because one must be attired to be allowed out in public without indecency charges. That is not a motivator when cake is in the house/office.

You must find motivators that will be stronger than the smell and vision of luscious cake sitting in the house/office! For some people, this is as simple as a photo of themselves at a lower weight or the picture of a new swimsuit. Not for me.

One must choose motivators that one would not, by any stretch, have normally indulged in given one's financial/time constraint situation. If money is really no object or if money is non-existant, one must look for motivators that strike you as "indulgent" and this differs greatly from person to person. These can be time consuming items such as a mini vacation, getting away from the family to a scenic place to read a book or take photos, a zero-guilt weekend with friends, going out to dinner while the family eats in, saying "no" to someone who presses you to do something, major photo email to others of the new you, a new rule in the house or office that reinforces your needs (I get the tv whenever I want to exercise, no one can bring food into my cubical, there will be no artisian bread in the house), etc.

I try to keep my motivators to things that will make my "total package" all the better once I reach my goal so that the reality is closer to my vision: teeth whitening, scar removal, new eye glasses, dermatology fixes, lesson in model walking (different body movements for 100 pound loss), trip to spa (time AND money), surgery consultation on cutting off the loose skin on my abdomen, trainer for a sport I want to try at a lower weight, etc. I stagger these so the motivator fits the weight goal. Obviously, scars can be fixed while I'm still significantly overweight, while the loose skin consultation should be done closer to the final goal. I can realistically make my final goal this summer. Coincidentally, I have to go to N.Y. (from S.F) for a summer wedding and (sigh!) will HAVE to go to Manhattan for my new wardrobe. Even with having money for a new wardrobe, I CAN'T rationalize buying a Donna Karan/Calvin Klein/KaufmanFranco outfit in a size which isn't my goal. What a waste of money!

The point IS - only you know what motivates you. List 2 motivators for every 5 pounds you lose. One motivator is a purchase (an accessory that doesn't depend on your weight) and one motivator assists with attaining your vision of you at your final goal weight.

Cheers to all of us in our quest for the attainable.

Last edited by Lisa LeapYear; 02-27-2005 at 12:41 AM.
Old 02-27-2005, 08:42 AM   #24  

Being both crunched for time and for money (I'm working full time/doing grad school part time) I'm thinking a reward for me would be an hour of doing NOTHING, e.g. lazing in bed reading a library book - maybe a book store splurge when I lose 10lbs.
Old 02-27-2005, 08:51 AM   #25  

Good grief! Another Ottawa chick!
Welcome, Charlotte... ... it's darned chilly out there, isn't it? My DH thinks I'm going to go skating on the canal today.
Old 02-27-2005, 01:10 PM   #26  

I bought myself a mini reward today, a new swimming costume. I am now swimming twice a week, and nearly got arrested for public decency offences this morning, my old costume just doesn't hold me in anymore!!!! So I went to buy a new one, this one is a whole size smaller!!!! I was so happy!!!!! And it's pretty!!!!
Old 02-27-2005, 04:54 PM   #27  

Yay, Kykaree!! That's wonderful!!
Old 02-28-2005, 12:20 AM   #28  
geeky pagan chick

S/C/G: 265/136/150

My rewards are pampering things that I *can* afford, but never seem to make the time to do.

180-manicure (3 more pounds!)
170-pedicure
160-massage

The big material reward when I'm finished losing will be some really nice leather knee high boots. I carry a disproportionate amount of weight in my legs, so even wide calf tall boots don't fit me at this point. (and to make matters worse, my foot itself is narrow, lol)
Closed Thread