Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2005, 08:55 PM   #31  
a brave new me...

Arrow Money saving tips...

Mix baking soda with your favorite cleanser and you have a perfect exfoliating scrub for your face and body.

Use plain Milk of Magnesia as a facial mask... great for oil absorption and works wonderfully.
Old 01-05-2005, 09:14 AM   #32  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

That made me think of the thing I heard about Preparation H hemorrhoid cream working great for puffy eyes due to lack of sleep. I have heard that it works great-but exactly who discovered that?

I have never had tummy trouble and been taking medicine and thought-I am going to give myself a facial with this! The same picture popped into my head with the Preparation H..."I'm gonna put some of this under my eyes."

I am sure they both work great...but who first figured that out?
Old 01-07-2005, 09:18 AM   #33  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Thanks to whoever mentioned using cetaphil for ecxema. I bought some and brought it to work so I don't have to use the crummy bathroom soap here (pink and smells like bubblegum) which has been irritating my hands.

The cetaphil seems to be helping in conjunction with the cortisone cream the doctor prescribe.
Old 01-08-2005, 08:29 AM   #34  
Wanttolossalot

I have got to be the most uncaring person when it comes to caring for my skin, apperance , etc. But it is starting to bug me. I have wrinkles now around my eyes, my brows need to be plucked, my skin is so dry, I have a ski jump nose, messed up teeth. I want to go on Extreme Makeover. Boy am I messed up. LAZY!!!!! That is more the word I am looking for. What makes us get into such a rut, we just don;t care. We look after our hubbies, or significant others, our children, but we are the last to be cared for. Ahhhhhhh, I need help, and my clothes don;t fit, my body or my personality either. I love TLC!
Virginia
Old 01-08-2005, 09:25 PM   #35  
a new me, I soon will be

I am so addicted to Burt's Bees products. I have a tube of the lip balm in every purse and in drawers at work and home. They also have tinted lip balms which are fabulous! Their hand salve and cuticle cream are awesome though; I put them on before bed and wake up with fresh hands.

As far as shampoo, I like Back to Basics Green Tea or Vanilla Plum, but for a night on the town I have to go with Amplify by Matrix. Other shower items that are a must include Victoria's Secret Amber Romance shower gel and Neutrogena Deep Clean face wash that I mix with Skin Milk exfoliating facewash. And the last one will sound odd, but my favorite thing to use for bubble bath is Johnson's Lavender and Chamomile Baby Bath. It has such a relaxing, gentle scent.
Old 01-10-2005, 09:31 PM   #36  

Has anyone tried the new Pantene winter hair shampoo and conditioner?
Old 01-11-2005, 08:52 AM   #37  

No-but I have tried the Loreal Vive ones-and they are great. Jason uses the Vive 2-in-1 thickening shampoo/conditioner for men that they have-it is in the grey bottle with the other Vive shampoos. WONDERFUL little thing for any of your men out there.
Jason doesn't need thickening shampoo (he's Native American and will probably just go gray-but never bald) but it has a wonderful manly scent-and Jason does need conditioner in his hair but won't take the time to do it unless it is a 2-in-1 combo.
Old 01-12-2005, 10:02 AM   #38  

After work yesterday I bought the new Pantene Winter hair shampoo and conditioner based on a friend's rave reviews.

I tried it this morning and my hair is really soft and less flyaway.
Old 01-13-2005, 12:26 PM   #39  

Personally I avoid the Pantene range as it strips hair of colour. I had always suspected this and when my friend - against my adivce and her hairdresser tried to go blonde -doing it herself (her hair actually has red tints to it so she went orange) the lady at the chemist advised using either Pantene or Vosene to strip the colour.

Well that is just my opinion of course. Mind you the Loreal colour one is no better. I stick to the Elsive orangey bottle (serum one) and that seems ok.
Old 01-13-2005, 03:49 PM   #40  

I have colored hair and I have my cosmetology license (used to manage a salon before I became a costume maker-my true passion) and I have never had any problem with Loreal Vive or Pantene shampoos stripping my color at all.

We always used dishwashing liquid (like Dawn or Palmolive) to strip color cheaply-but you DO want to deep condition it thoroughly afterwards.

Also-stripping hair of color cannot change any hair that has been lightened at all-so what the chemist/salon person recommended to your friend who did a bad lightening job-isn't really going to do much-they should have known better.

You can fade/strip some of any color you put onto hair that is "deposited color"-as in the same shade of your hair or darker-red or burgandy tones, darker brown/black tones-anything that is darkening your hair can be faded a little-since the color is deposited onto your hair shaft. This works BEST with semi-permanent color that washes out over time in a month or so anyhow-because that sort of color does not penetrate the hair shaft fully.

On permanent color-a strong shampoo or dish liquid will fade out the tone slightly-like red hair won't look as "bright" or golden blonde colored hair will lose some of its "gold"...a dark color may fade a shade or so...but the stripping won't take permanent color all the way out. Only a GOOD colorist can take you back to your natural color. (I stress good because I have worked with some BAD colorists... )

Hair that is lightened-that is a different story. Lightened hair-going a shade or two lighter, or going blonde or getting highlights-there is peroxide or other lighteners in the color that is actually bleaching out the natural tones in your hair shaft. It is removing your natural color-and is why lightening is the most damaging and drying of color treatments. The only way to go back darker after lightening is to either color over it in a darker shade-or a shade close to your natural color-or to let it grow out and get trimmed off.

When I do buy those shampoo brands, I always buy the ones for color treated hair-they are gentler and more balanced for chemically processed hair.

As long as you aren't going cheap-o-cheap (as in V05 or original Suave (not the Suave professional series-but the old separate shampoo and conditioners that you can get for $1 a bottle in scents like strawberry that they have had since I was a toddler) or something along those lines...mid range shampoo/conditioner really isn't too bad.
Old 01-13-2005, 04:41 PM   #41  

Actually, I was kind of leery of the Pantene products as I had tried them years ago and they seemed to dry out my hair. But that was a few years back so I thought I would give them another try, but just the winter formula. I can't seem to find a reasonably priced shampoo that works that well with my hair and I can't afford to pay $$$ for salon shampoos.
Old 01-15-2005, 11:14 PM   #42  
Pending Email Confirmation

Anyone have any good ideas for getting rid of onion, garlic, or seafood stink from your hands?
I felt all gormet today, and I actually have all three! ICKY! I have never been able to find anything that gets rid of it. Any home remedies out there?
Old 01-16-2005, 09:28 AM   #43  

In a word....Lemon.

I guess if you use a scrub first (facial or body) then squirt lemon on your hands (or a lemony scented oil/cream that would work.
Old 01-16-2005, 09:48 AM   #44  

Height: 5'-2"

Gasoline.
Old 01-16-2005, 10:25 AM   #45  
Cookin' With A Vengeance!

No need to burn it off though, the stench of the gasoline alone should work.....
Closed Thread