3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Alternachicks (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/alternachicks-99/)
-   -   Shave my head? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/alternachicks/45840-shave-my-head.html)

BerkshireGrl 08-29-2004 02:05 PM

Shave my head?

Hello everybody :)

Well, here is my tale of woe... yesterday I got a Very Bad Perm. My red hair, formerly sleek, shiny and just about shoulder length, now looks like a reddish blonde poodle! ARGH! This is ironic because the last perm I had, about 10 years ago, I stupidly got over a bleach job. Not surprisingly, my hair broke off... there was no fixing it but to shave it. I wore a wig for about three months, until my hair was long enough to look somewhat normal. I didn't really enjoy wearing a wig. At the time, I lived in Texas and boy, a wig sure is hot and scratchy in 90 degree heat. But everyone thought my hair was so shiny and thick - I got compliments on my brown bob all the time :devil: Who was I to tell them it was monofilament plastic?

So... imagine my horror to find myself in this state again! But this time my hair was in good condition, and I thought by going to a top salon ("best of" in my area according to the local paper survey) I would end up with great results.

I'm now fantasizing about buzzing it ALL off, and starting over! It is a mass of frizz that snaps off easily, and just looks so, so bad. I am pondering a "sick" day Monday to go to a different salon that has a big selection of wigs... and to just go the way of Buddhist monks!

It's so fried I think corrective straightening would only damage it more... and coloring it wouldn't hide the frizziness.

Crazy? What do you think? Trust me, if you saw my hair, you would pity me ;)

rochemist 08-29-2004 03:47 PM

If you shave your head, whats with the wig? Your a pretty girl, it will just bring out your eyes. The first 2 years I worked at this job my head was shaved, if I didn't feel like looking like a girl was kinda important to me right now I would do it again.

Chris

ellis 08-29-2004 03:51 PM

Sarah, I would march right back to that Salon and tell them to FIX it! Your beautiful hair! :yikes:
I'm with Chris... if you're going to go bald, screw the wig. :yes: You're a lovely girl, and I bet you'd look great without hair. :grouphug:

Leenie 08-29-2004 03:56 PM

Bald is in !! ;) But get your money back first.

Sorry to hear about your hair :(

Suzanne 3FC 08-29-2004 07:20 PM

I wish I could go bald! I hate the hassle of fixing my hair. Unfortunately, I have a Homer Simpson head, so I'm stuck.

Can you have it cut into a very short style, and soak your head in conditioner frequently, until it grows out enough to trim off the damage? Is the "wet look" too far out of style now? I wouldn't know. I live in Tennessee, everyone looks like country western singers ;)

dentrassi 08-29-2004 07:22 PM

DITTO!! Forget the wig, and hold your baldy head up high! I buzzed my head once. It looked terrible, but it sure was comfortable! (And easy to take care of too!!!) If I thought I could carry it I would wear my hair (head?) that way ALL the time.

mauvaisroux 08-29-2004 09:20 PM

First, go back to the salon and complain. Second if you feel comfortable going bald then go for it! If not, then do the wig, it is almost fall and it won't be as hot as Texas where you are now. I had a friend who used to have about five different wigs and wore them just for fun to go out on the weekends. :)

ellis 08-29-2004 10:18 PM

You could also wear some really funky hats. :yes:

BerkshireGrl 08-30-2004 11:43 AM

Hello everybody - thank you for your thoughts! :)

I am at home today, having booked a haircut appointment and a contact lens exam. I figure if I am going to have micro hair, I might as well ditch the glasses too :lol: Yes, I could not get up the balls to venture into work with my frizzy mass of hair. Ah vanity, thy name is woman! :devil:

So, right now, I am going in for a VERY short haircut. I've had hair anywhere from bald to 3" to shoulder length, so what the ****. Bald, well, my head is not good for it... now that I have an honest flashback to when I was a baldy ;)

I have a "Klingon Ridge" running up the middle in front, as I discovered when I buzzed it off 10 years ago. Despite my best efforts with a razor, I could not get all the hair off my bumpy head. It looked kinda scary!

It's tempting though. I like the IDEA of no hair and a fresh start, and I think some women look great with no hair. Unfortunately I am not one of them heh! Plus, I hated wearing a wig. It scratches, it's hot, and I was always paranoid it would slip.

Plus I was trying to figure out how to exercise in a wig with headphones on too, and decided Bah Humbug!

Lesson learned for me, NO PERMS. Not ever. Hot rollers, ok, but no messing around with mixing two chemicals on the bean (red dye and evil perm mix.) That is another Life Lesson for me. That and no mixing liquor and beer/wine :lol:

I tried to take some digital pics to share with you guys... I think I will have the salon use my disposable camera to take some Before & After photos and scan them in later at work :)

Leenie 08-30-2004 01:30 PM

Your gonna love the contacts !!!

dentrassi 08-30-2004 01:38 PM

Good for you!! Sounds like you are making fun for yourself out of a bad haircut!

BerkshireGrl 08-30-2004 04:18 PM

Saved!

A follow-up report... Thanks to a wonder named Frank at The Hair Studio in Pittsfield, I still have most of my hair. He cut off all the frizz, conditioned the heck out of it, restored the deep red color, and made me a new woman! I feel SO MUCH BETTER now. Boy, it's funny how much awful hair can humilate me ;)

And I got fitted for some disposable contacts, got a trial pair to try out for 2 weeks, and talked to the eye doc about laser eye surgery. I would dearly love to get rid of glasses and contacts, but the cost (about $2500 in Canada, and a $500 pre-op exam = $3000) is too much for me at this stage in my life :o I'll just stick with the contacts for now!

I've been wearing glasses since I was 7 years old... so long that I have deep groves in my skull where the earpieces fit :dizzy:

Ok, now I just gotta shrink my bod!! :lol:

aphil 08-31-2004 09:07 AM

Hi!
Sorry to hear about your hair...I have my cosmetologist license-and you need to be very careful with double processing your hair. (either perm/color or color/color-like coloring it all one color, and then highlighting streaks over it, etc.) I am glad that it was able to be salvaged though-and that you feel better about it all.

I would like to offer a few words of advice for everyone here-to maybe avoid some future mishaps. :lol: Yes-all costmetologists did the same thing to get their licenses...but not all are created equal. (Think about the valedictorian of your high school class...and the stoned guy who slept in class and barely skeezed through!) :lol:

1.) Be wary of a hair stylist who doesn't ask questions. If you come in with obviously colored hair-roots showing or highlighted streaks, etc.-and they did NOT perform that service on you-they should be asking about what is on your hair currently before they perform any chemical service. If they are going to perm or color your hair-they should find out if you got a professional highlight or you used "Sun-In" yourself...or if your hair is colored all over whether it is a permanent color, semi-permanent, henna, Nice N'Easy, or what the heck it is.

2.) You must be very careful what chemicals you use if you are going to double process. (perm/color or color/color-like colored all over with highlights on top of it, etc.) If you are going to perm/color double process-like you had-it is really only recommended if you are using a semi-permanent (washes out in a few weeks) hair color-not a permanent (grows out and leaves roots) one. If someone's hair was heavily highlighted, or bleached-I would make them sign a waver before I would agree to perm...and that was after trying to talk them out of it. :lol:

3.) If you color your hair at home-learn a little about color.

Temporary-washes out in a shampoo-has no effect on the hair shaft-as it only coats it on the outside.

Semi-permanent-washes out in a few weeks. Will say this on the front of the box somewhere. This type of color DEPOSITS color into the hair cuticle-it deposits only, therefore s-p color cannot lighten hair. It can only add tones or darken-and it slowly fades over time. If you use s-p color-it is totally safe to put the color all over your hair each month when you do it-because it doesn't really change the hair composition all that much.

Permanent color-grows out and leaves "roots". Highlights are also a permanent color. Permanent color changes your actual hair color permanently. It can darken, lighten, or do whatever. It penetrates and alters the entire hair shaft. If you use permanent color at home-do NOT put it all over your head when doing a touch up. It is a pain-but part your hair in 4 sections-and clip them-and do the roots of each section. (Have someone help) and only put it all over the rest for the last 5 minutes of the process to freshen the rest.

Have you seen the women who have orange roots, honey blonde hair for the most part, and then the last 3 inches of their hair are frizzy WHITE straw? They put the hair color all over every time. Or the woman who has pretty brown hair at the roots-and the further you go down the darker and more fried it gets-until you get to the almost black fuzz at the ends? And it is permanently fried. :lol:

In the salon-our haircolors are not in "boxes". If a blonde, a redhead, and a brunette all come in wanting sandy beige hair-I would mix up a different formula for each one of them. Hair colors in the store are one sie fits all-so it is recommended that you not try to do anything yourself more than 2 shades lighter or darker than what you have-because the peroxide in the developer will not be strong enough. If you are a dark brunette and buy light ash blonde-it is likely you are going to end up with strawberry orange. :lol:

If you have colored hair and want to highlight over it yourself-there are a couple brands in the stores that are for color treated hair-they are gentler-use them even if they are more expensive. Excellence Cremelights comes to mind off hand.

If you highlight yourself with a kit-and the kit comes with a plastic hook-you will get much better results if you buy a metal tiny crochet hook in the yarn section and keep it in the bathroom. Use it instead. The tiny metal hook will grab smaller pieces of hair-so it looks natural and not like "stripes" and it is less likely to rip the little holes in the cap, causing the color to bleed out on the rest of your head-making "spots" on the scalp. They only cost a dollar or two-and reuse it. Those cheap big plastic hooks are a disaster.

Perms are not created equal. In the back of a salon they should have a minumum of 4-5 different formulas-everything from strong (to perm stubborn wiry gray hair on little old ladies) to a very gentle formula for color treated hair. If the stylist doesn't ask what is on your hair currently-TELL THEM ANYWAY. If they seem more interested in smoking their cigarette in the back room while you process, or talking with the other stylists-speak up. They should be timing your processing like clockwork-if the buzzer goes off-they should be getting to you and rinsing within a minute or two at MOST.

I have worked with many a 'stylist moron. (Used to manage a salon before I married and had kids.) Some of these women (and men) are dumber than a bag of hammers. It amazes me that they give some of these people licenses...especially to color and perm-which essentially is a chemistry class. :(

tikanique 08-31-2004 09:57 AM

APHIL - Where were you the night I tried to color my hair a light ash blonde? I ended up with SO MANY different colors on my head it was a shame. My son (10 at the time) cried cause he said his friends were gonna laugh. Luckily I have pretty strong, freakishly thick hair so I was able to recolor with Nice N Easy the same night to hide the mess and save face.

aphil 08-31-2004 12:22 PM

Sounds like you were lucky. Really dark brown to black hair is actually almost impossible to get a true ash blonde all over-with no golden tones-even by a professional.